Friday, April 17, 2009

peekfrostings

Grape Cupcakes Topped with Wine Whipped Cream

Print Friendly and PDF



Grape Cupcake Man says, "I love grape cupcakes!" Grape Cupcake Man also says, "I need you to lick the Muscat wine whipped cream frosting off of my grape cupcake face - it's blocking my eyes!"

When I first made Grape Cupcake Man, my in-house food photographer refused to take the photo: "It's just too weird." Perhaps I did go a bit overboard, but I wanted to use the whipped cream and I didn't want to hide the grapes like I did here:

Clearly, Grape Cupcake Man was the only choice.

Regardless of how you frost the grape cupcakes (or if you frost them at all), these grape cupcakes are a perfect choice to serve while sitting outside with a bottle of wine, grapes, cheese, and nuts. Enjoy!

Grape Cupcake Recipe

I found a most appetizing recipe for a grape cake on the Desert Candy blog and decided to convert it to grape cupcakes. I have included the recipe with my modifications below. The main change I made was to add some ginger and pineapple flavor to replicate the tastes found in my recent punch recipe.

Makes 12 cupcakes
  • 1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t ground ginger
  • 1/4 t baking soda
  • 1/2 C Muscat wine
  • 1/2 C pineapple juice
  • 3/4 C sugar
  • 4 T (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
  • 4 T (1/4 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 C red seedless grapes
  1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and ginger into a medium-sized bowl.
  2. Combine wine and pineapple juice in a small bowl.
  3. Whisk 3/4 cup sugar, butter, and olive oil in a large bowl until smooth.
  4. Whisk in eggs.
  5. Add flour mixture alternately with wine/juice in 3 additions each, whisking just until smooth after each addition.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
  7. Sprinkle grapes over batter.
  8. Bake at 400 F for 20 minutes or until top gets slightly brown.


Muscat Wine Whipped Cream Frosting Recipe

This Muscat wine whipped cream frosting went perfectly with the cupcakes, but it worked nicely as a dip for grapes. Yum!
  • 1 C Muscat wine
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1 C heavy whipping cream
  1. Bring wine and sugar to a boil in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan.
  2. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for about thirty minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and bring to room temperature.
  4. Whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
  5. Add 1/3 C of the muscat wine syrup you just made.
Note: Use more whipping cream or less syrup if you want a thicker frosting.

16 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me with your creativity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cupcake man (???). With that fabulous hat I'd say she looks more like Carmen Miranda! Either way...tasty! GREG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grape Cupcakes! Who knew? These look great, but I think I'm with your husband on this one - the grape cupcake man is a bit wierd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, this looks really delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, this may be a long comment - sorry - but my husband and I always hold an annual Family Cookout every Labor Day - and we've been trying to find some super cute ideas for foods... We always do burgers, brats, and hot dogs. I was hoping to do a themed (is that spelled right? I don't know) meal. I saw a photo of a Hamburger "shaped" cupcake - do you have any ideas like that? or maybe an older post that I may have missed? Just wondering! I love love love your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sippity - Hah!! I considered that perhaps it was a woman, but something about him seemed masculine. As you point out, it sure wasn't the hat. :)

    Amanda - I'm still holding out for someone to come out in defense of Grape Man. Anyone?

    Tom and Jessica - I have two cupcakes that I think would be perfect for a cookout. One is the cupcake that you make on the grill. The other is the cupcake that I made with liquid smoke. I don't have any cupcakes shaped like hamburgers, but there are some really cute ones if you google it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahah, these cupcakes are great, and I love the odd frosting job. Totally endearing. I've never thought to put grapes in a cupcake, but why not? Why should other fruits have all the fun? I love what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bottom two photographic subjects look like hamsters with moustaches :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are incredibly talented and never cease to amaze. Not only are these super creative but they look great. I would have NEVER even imagined to use grapes for cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the grape man but must admit it took me a while to "see" him. Am wondering how he tastes though.
    On another note, any ideas for Israel birthday cupcakes? I need to make some for my daughters sunday school class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon - He's a tasty man. :) As for Israel Independence Day, how about something blue and white like blueberry buttercream frosting - although, it's a bit more purple than blue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm I wonder what these would be like with Concord grapes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Author www.cupcakeproject.com !
    In my opinion it is not logical

    ReplyDelete
  14. Im crazy about these cupcakes. I would have never thought to use grapes in a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics