Sunday, June 29, 2008

peekfrostings

Buttercream Frosting Recipe - Orange Frosting

Print Friendly and PDF


This buttercream frosting recipe for orange buttercream frosting is sweet and tangy. I love how the little orange bits look in the buttercream frosting swirl. Orange buttercream frosting would be a great way to fancy up a plain vanilla cupcake. I sort of did that on my next cupcake, but with a surprising twist - stay tuned!

Orange buttercream frosting would also be great on mimosa cupcakes or with any clove cupcake.

Orange Buttercream Frosting Recipe

The orange buttercream frosting is a Cupcake Project original recipe.
  • 1/2 C (1 stick) butter, room temperature
  • 3 oz (about 1/3 C) orange marmalade (try to find one with orange bits in it)
  • 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 1 T heavy cream
  • 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 1/2 t orange extract
  1. Beat butter until creamy.
  2. Beat in marmalade.
  3. Beat in powdered sugar.
  4. Add heavy cream and extracts.
  5. Taste and smile. It should frost about 12 cupcakes, depending on how much you use.

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This frosting looks and sounds yummy. Will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely summer frosting! I can just taste the tangy citrus. And on Clove Cupcakes? That sounds like a wonderfully exotic combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oo this looks delicious! I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son loves oraange and cupcakes - I will have to make some!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm baking with my friend right now lol i am looking for a cup cake icing that can be quick - i was hoping to be able to do this but as im only 14 im unable to get the ingrediants in time .. the icing looks extremely yummy however.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon - Bummer. Maybe you'll be able to give it a try next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got to be kidding me...! This frosting is absolutely delicious!!!! I had to come back and give you a standing ovation. Oh my God delicious. It uses almost half of the sugar I normally use for buttercream so I thought is was going to be runny, but it was perfect and stayed in the cake. I also used a mermelade I found in Harris Teeter of Orange-Champagne.... I felt I was in an island eating cake. Awesome girl. Thanks. I can't wait to try other mermelade flavors. THANK YOU!
    Viviane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Viviane - Thanks so much! I'm so glad to hear that you loved it! Orange-champagne marmalade sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this is old, but I made this today, with a little extra powdered sugar, and some melted chocolate, for a chocolate orange marmalade frosting :) It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This frosting is delicious! I doubled the recipe and used it to frost a 2 layer gingerbread cake...will be repeated for our Christmas Eve dinner this year! mmm

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been looking for a lemon butter cream for about a week now, and did a sample batch using 1/3 cup (plus 2 heaping tablespoons) of lemon curd and subbing out the orange extract for lemon and it was awesome. I can't wait to try recipe as is. Thanks, Stef!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous and delicious Buttercream/Orange frosting. Using it tonight on my chocolate cake. Just makes it pop. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics