Wednesday, July 9, 2008

peekfrostings

Raw Food Cupcakes: Cool and Refreshing

Print Friendly and PDF

The concept of a raw food cupcake seems to go against the entire grain of cupcakes. Cupcakes are a baked product - raw food cupcakes are not baked. They are basically a bunch of raw food pressed together in the shape of a cupcake.

Did the Raw Food Cupcake Taste Like a Cupcake?

Nope! The raw cupcakes tasted nothing like cupcakes. They tasted more like Passover charoset. The good news is that I love charoset. The raw cupcakes were yummy and perfect for summer. I'm sure someone could make a raw cupcake that tastes more like a cupcake, since I've seen some great things done with raw cocoa and dates on Gone Raw. I went for the fruity, lemon poppy seed variety, though.

The Raw Foods Potluck

I mentioned in the post on raw frosting that I made these raw cupcakes because I was attending a raw food potluck. The reason that I was there was because Jonathan had done a photoshoot on the potluck for Sauce Magazine. Sauce wrote a story on raw food and Jonathan had the cover image - his first cover!!

We enjoyed the potluck so much that we decided to go back the next month.

The image on the right shows my cupcakes sitting on his Sauce cover. The title of the article was "Totally Rawsome!" and that also describes these cupcakes!

The people at the raw food potluck loved the cupcakes. One woman even asked for the recipe. I directed her to this site. I hope she isn't turned off by all the baked cupcakes that I have on here!

The Raw Cupcake Recipe
I got the recipe for the raw cupcakes by modifying a recipe on Raw Freedom Community for lemon poppy seed cake. The recipe with my modifications is below:
Makes 50 mini cupcakes
  • 1 1/2 C ground/grated jicama
  • 1 apple, peeled and ground
  • 2 C walnuts, finely ground
  • 1/4 C agave nectar
  • Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
  • Lemon juice and zest of 1 medium-sized lemon
  • 1/4 C poppy seeds
  1. Mix all ingredients and form in any shape you want. I made mini cupcakes. I found that it was easiest to form them in the cupcake tin even though I didn't need to put it in the oven. Putting it in the tin helped them to keep their shape.
  2. There is no step two. It's just that easy!
The Raw Frosting
I frosted the cupcakes with raw frosting made from coconut oil.

20 comments:

  1. Very creative, Stef! I bet they tasted wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food & Wine mag featured an article on raw food recently, including an orange date bar that looked really good. I'll be that could easily be adapted for a cupcake.

    A lot of raw food recipes I've seen use a dehydrator instead of baking. I wonder if that would work with cupcakes.

    Kelly
    Sounding My Barbaric Gulp!
    http://www.barbaricgulp.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will certainly be making these delicious little morsels soon! Thanks for sharing this recipe. Love your blog and your phootgraphy. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nupur - Thanks! Looking forward to Sunday!

    Ivy - Thanks for my Ivy induced smile. :)

    Kelly - I don't see why it wouldn't. If I had one on hand, I'd give it a go.

    CY - Thanks so much for stopping by and saying so!

    Penni - Thanks from me and Jonathan (the photographer).

    My Sweet - Thanks! I had fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even know there was such thing as a raw foods movement. I'm not very trendy, I suppose. But your cupcakes look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've yet to try this raw revolution, but i'm definitely intrigued. heck, if i could still have cupcakes, i'd be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried charoset, but I can see how these would be unusually good.
    The poppy seeds are especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Camille - You'll probably be hearing more about it. It seems to be becoming more popular.

    Grace - I think it would be sooo hard to do. It would take lots of dedication.

    Karen - If you ever get a chance to try charoset, give it a go. It is seriously one of my favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound really fun to make! I recently saw a raw brownie recipe on 28 cooks that looked good too. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there
    These look lovely and am thinking of making them for my birthday picnic next weekend. However i don't believe we have jicama here in Australia. I wonder if you could suggest an alternative?
    Thanks!
    --Kat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kat - I think pear would work very well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is this your recipe?

    I made a lemon raw cake 2 years ago with these same ingredients.
    It was yummy, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geylani - Nope. I mention in the post that I got the recipe from the Raw Freedom Community.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, they look great! will have to give them a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go Jozzie!..Congrats! and Stef...those look fabulous!..mmmm! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there! I have a RAW dessert company in Southern California and raw cupcakes are my best sellers! http://www.sweetrayacakes.com

    I often use walnuts and dates for my cupcake and cashews for my frosting. They come out super rich and delicious. I would love to send you some samples sometime!

    -Raya

    ReplyDelete
  18. FYI Agave nectar is NOT Raw. It is a proceed sweetener created from the agave plant. A Raw sweetener would be either in the rough raw honey or a stevia leaf from the actual herb is your best and only bet for true raw.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics