Wednesday, May 28, 2008

peekfrostings

Snickerdoodle Recipe: Homemade Snickerdoodle Cookies are Easy and Tasty

Print Friendly and PDF


I wanted to see if my own snickerdoodle recipe would taste like the snickerdoodle recipe used by Wholly Wholesome for their snickerdoodle cookies. More importantly, my snickerdoodle cupcakes had a snickerdoodle cookie baked into them, so I needed a recipe to make some snickerdoodle cookie dough!

Try saying the word snickerdoodle 10 times fast without smiling!

The homemade snickerdoodle recipe came out fantastic. I ate the snickerdoodles baked in the snickerdoodle cupcakes and I only made a couple of actual standalone cookies. However, I do admit that the cookies were tasty even without the cupcake. Not every baked good needs to be in cupcake form. I can't believe I just said that.

Notice that my cookies don't look anything like the Wholly Wholesome ones from the last post. The flavor was quite similiar, though.

Which Snickerdoodle Recipe Was Better, the Homemade or the Store-Bought?

Of course, I'm always going to prefer my own baking to store-bought. I can't help being biased. The Wholly Wholesome cookies did, however, make for nice cupcake toppers since they were perfectly round and just the right size.

The Snickerdoodle Recipe

The snickerdoodle recipe that I used came from Allrecipes. I have reprinted it below with a slight modification to use all butter instead of butter and shortening.

Makes 24 snickerdoodles

  • 1/2 C butter, softened
  • 3/4 C white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 C and 1 T all-purpose flour
  • 1 t cream of tartar
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 1 T white sugar
  • 1 t ground cinnamon

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Cream together butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla.
  3. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
  4. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
  5. Mix the 1 T sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in the mixture.
  6. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
  7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.
  8. Eat!!

11 comments:

  1. Yum, looks good! Also, have you tried Peabody's Snickerdoodle Muffins? (http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/2007/03/16/cookie-conversion/)
    They are absolutely amazing and might give you some ideas for your cupcake version if you haven't already settled on the recipe! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snickerdoodle,Snickerdoodle,
    Snickerdoodle,Snickerdoodle,
    Snickerdoodle,Snickerdoodle,
    Snickerdoodle,Snickerdoodle,
    Snikerdoodle, snickerdoodle,
    snicker.... Smile.
    Ohhhhh, your right. You can't say snickedoodle 10 times without smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara - I haven't tried them, but thanks for the suggestion. I mentioned it in my cupcake post.

    Ivy - Hahaha. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LUV THESE COOKIES DUH THEY'ER GOOD SAYING SNICKERDOODLE 10 TIMES FAST IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOPER EASY W/O SMILING

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love these cookies!!!!!!!! My moms friend thought that they we so good he could not stop eating them!!!!!!! Thanks for the recipe it is VERRRRY GOOOD jk ITS GRRRREAT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon and Anon - Glad you guys loved them! Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great I will definitely try it thanks for the easy recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made these for my son who's home sick and loves snickerdoodles. They taste great, but they came out flat. I used organic wheat flour instead of all-purpose bleached...i wonder if thats why?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anon - Could be. Wheat flavor behaves very differently from all purpose flour. Maybe try half and half next time?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My search is over for a perfect snickerdoodle recipe. Will try this one very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. snickerdoodles=favorite cookie<3

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics