Friday, November 16, 2012

peekfrostings

Sweet and Salty Toasted Pumpkin Seeds - Easy and Addictive

Print Friendly and PDF



When I wrote about my sweet and salty roasted chickpeas, I never expected that the recipe would become one of the most popular on my cupcake blog.  I guess that we cupcake lovers understand that we need some simple and satisfying healthy food options now and again.  This year, I bring you a similar recipe for pumpkin seeds - sweet and salty toasted pumpkin seeds.  There's something about that sweet and salty combo that gets me every time.  It's so addictive!

Brown sugar, cinnamon, sprinkle of salt, and melted butter come together with the toasted flavor of the seeds themselves to create pumpkin seeds that remind me of campfires, herbal tea, popcorn, and sweet potatoes.

I've never had better pumpkin seeds, ever!   






Sweet and Salty Toasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe

Yield: 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (double, triple, quadruple or more as you see fit)

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds (If you are working with seeds that you removed from a pumpkin yourself, wash thoroughly and set them out to dry on a cookie sheet overnight before using.)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • small pat of butter (about 1 teaspoon), melted
Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
  2. Spread coated seeds on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat.  Do not overlap them.
  3. Bake at 300 F for 45 minutes or until seeds are nicely toasted.
  4. Eat while still warm (you can save them for later, but they aren't quite as good).

4 comments:

  1. this is fantastic - after all the sweet stuff i've had to sample with all the xmas fayres coming up, i'm in dire need of something savourey and think this might just be the ticket :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet and salty....yum. I bet these are totally addicting!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics