Thursday, September 2, 2010

peekfrostings

Caramel Icing - Made the Old Fashioned Southern Way

Print Friendly and PDF


A true caramel icing, I've learned, takes time.  As you stand stirring the saucepan of caramel icing in the making, you'll have an unusual moment of quiet - a chance to come up with ideas even better than your shower-time epiphanies.  But, if you're like me, thirty minutes of slow, repetitive stirring motion will hypnotize you.  You'll soon find yourself simply staring into the sweet confection, monitoring the reading on your candy thermometer as it crawls up and observing the thickening caramel with wide eyed wonder.

You might hear about caramel icing shortcuts, but there is a reason that Southern women have been making their caramel icing using two spoons (one for the saucepan and one for the cast iron skillet) for generations.  This caramel icing may be the best you've ever tried, so be thankful that it takes so long to make (if it didn't, you'd be eating it way too often).


Caramel Icing Recipe


I got the caramel icing recipe from My Yellow Bluff.  I looked at many, many recipes and this one struck me as the most authentic.  I am reprinting it here with a bit more detail and my notes.

Yield: Enough to frost 24 cupcakes with plenty left over (I filled my cupcakes with the extra caramel)
  • 2 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/2 C unsalted butter (the original recipe called for margarine, but I only use butter)
  • 3/4 C evaporated milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  1. In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, mix butter, evaporated milk and two cups of sugar.
  2. Heat and stir until sugar dissolves.  Do not allow to come to a boil.
  3. Once sugar dissolves, reduce heat to low.
  4. In a small cast iron skillet on medium-low heat, melt half cup of sugar - stirring constantly until liquid and brown (as shown below).

  1. Pour the browned sugar into the saucepan and quickly stir to incorporate.  
  1. Stir regularly until the liquid reaches the soft ball stage.  It's easiest to check for the soft ball stage with a candy thermometer (the caramel should be about 235 F). If you don't have a candy thermometer, you can test by dropping a small amount of caramel into water to see if it forms a soft ball (hence the name). It may take up to thirty minutes to reach the soft ball stage.  Here's where the patience kicks in.  Resist the temptation to turn up the heat because the caramel can easily burn.
  2. Let cool slightly.  If you wait too long, the caramel will become difficult to spread.
  3. Mix in vanilla.  
  4. Spread on caramel cake cupcakes (or anything). 

39 comments:

  1. my great gran taught me how to make caramel icing for a five flavor cake that isn't too far off this one and takes forever to stir no shortcut ever works.. heed my warning cupcake-alites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mother taught me how to make Carmel from scratch years ago . I had forgotten some of it but this is almost the same,as my memory is refreshed, making it today for my Grandaughter thank you so much

      Delete
  2. Yum! Can't wait for the caramel cupcake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delectable! I don’t have an iron skillet could I use something else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm... gooey caramely goodness! I would love to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. why didn't i check this last night?! i attempted caramel icing for the first time last night and made such a mess :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to heat up skillet before putting in sugar so i heated it along with the skillet and it ended up being a clumpy mess. Plus, my can of evaporated milk was from 2008 so I had to toss it and use 1/2 cup of vanilla soymilk instead. Yet, somehow, it is still friggin' amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first time I made caramel it came out GREAT, probably because I took my time and read the recipe very carefully. The next time I definitely tried to rush it -- NOT a good idea. I had not heard about the two separate mixtures, looking forward to trying that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not opposed to eating this straight out of the pot. YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. shannon abdollmohammadiSeptember 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

    Dang...this is awesome!! Thanks for sharing...love the step-by-step pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holly - I think you could you another kind of skillet, but since I haven't tried it, I can't promise that you will have the same results.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved loved loved The Help! Thanks for making the book come alive with these cupcakes. I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My grandmother's cousin gave her almost the identical recipe, the only difference being that it calls for heavy cream, rather than evaporated milk and butter. A bit less fuss and works perfectly. Otherwise, it's exactly the same. I use a small pyrex skillet to caramelize the sugar

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found I need an extra set of hands to pour the carmael into the milk mixture. It hardened in the mixture before I could incorporate it. However, it still turned out great!!! The caramel melted as the temp rose the the softball stage

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great recipe. You have to take your time and not "multitask" but it has perfect flavor and texture. I did add a pinch of salt. To frost a 7 layer I had to make 2 consecutive batches because I take too long to apply frosting but it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been dying to make a caramel cake, ever since I read The Help, and your cupcakes and icing were fabulous! Great instructions too, really well laid out for a first time caramel icing maker! Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do this caramelicing dry out and become hard our is it more like frosting, which stayes wet and creamy?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sara - It gets a crunchy top as it cools, but it's still creamy on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you have any suggestions why my
    caramel icing was grainy, like the sugar did not melt?!?!? It tasted ok but I think it could be better.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if it grainy that means u rushed it and the sugar did not dissolve enough.

      Delete
  19. I just made this icing to go on my cake and it's soooooo gooood. Very happy with the results =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the way I remember my great Aunt Viola making the icing. I remember seeing her use a skillet to melt her sugar on her wood stove. She is the only family member I remember as a child who made caramel cake...the task was too daunting for everyone else I guess. Thanks for the opportunity to recreate a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would it be possible to add this to a buttercream to create a fluffier frosting? Or would that be way too sweet?

    Sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be really sweet, but you could try.

      Delete
  22. can this be made ahead, stored in the fridge and then reheated when needed?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made this icing over the weekend and it came out great. The candy thermometer did help a lot. I remember in the comments to make sure that your cast iron skillet is hot before browning the sugar, because the sugar will have chucks. You have to have patients when making this icing. The cake is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I don't have evaporated milk or heavy cream, is it possible to evaporate milk on my own?
    Also, is it as sweet as store bought caramel ( because my family is only opposed to caramel because they think it's too sweet)?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've tried to make this twice. Both times (going very slowly, with a candy thermometer, etc.) the flavor is fantastic, but the texture is granny and 'solid' rather than a flowey / chewy caramel. Anyone have thought on what went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay... I'm now up to five tries (I am nothing if not persistent). I did a bit of research on caramels. The reason mine (and others) crystallized is because we were stirring it. Stirring causes a cooling / heating cycle that makes the sugar crystallize in a caramel. However, with this recipe it does have to be stirred when you first pour the melted sugar in to the liquid or it won't combine (but sits on the bottom and overcooks - that would be my batch four).

    Even with everything I've learned, I'm still not thrilled with my results (the caramel is not smooth, but lumpy), but I am done trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you are looking for a different type of caramel. This isn't supposed to be flowey/chewey. It is supposed to be somewhat solid and "crunchy". It sounds like you would like the caramel that I used in my milky way cupcakes .

      Delete
    2. Rachel thank you so much for this! I made a caramel cake this past weekend and the caramel was delicious but a little grainly. I wondered if there was something i could do to eliminate this but had no idea where to start! Thanks for your wonderful suggestions! I plan to make this again this weekend to see wha happens with the new info you provided. Sounds like you and I have the same nose for gathering all the information that we can about something and then working to apply it. I appreciate that so much!

      Delete
  27. Is this the caramel recipe that you used in the pumpkin spice macarons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to make this icing for over 20 years. I have finally acheived the taste I wanted. I made a carmel cake yesterday, I only have a couple of slices left today. Once you start eating it, you can't stop. My family and I just want to thank you for putting this recipe online.
      Angela

      Delete
  28. This recipe us great! It takes patience but is worth every second. I waited a little too long to frost my caramel cake so part of it looks ok and most of it doesn't look too pretty....but wow! It is so delicious. It is for my husband's birthday and he could barely contain himself. This one is going right into my recipe book, I can't wait to try it again. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  29. this recipe is soooo good..made a caramel cake last night and it is gone this morning! My husband asked if I could make another one..I found that the caramel taste even better after it sits..I didnt have a candy thermomètre I just use the water ball method..a keeper, a keeper, a keeper

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics