Sunday, October 26, 2008

peekfrostings

Birthday Cupcakes With Chocolate Numbers

Print Friendly and PDF

Birthday cupcakes are typically topped with candles which are great for wish making, but wax doesn't add the best flavor to a cupcake. How about topping birthday cupcakes (in this case, better than sex chocolate cupcakes) with homemade chocolate numbers? These birthday cupcake numbers were crazy easy to make, and very well received.

I made the chocolate birthday cupcake numbers using a silicone ice cube tray. More specifically, I used a Sillycone number ice cube tray that I received through Blake Makes. My only small complaint about using this tray for chocolate numbers is that the numbers aren't reversed - i.e. the bottom side of the number should be the side that looks like the number, since that is the prettier side.


To make chocolate numbers:
  1. Spray the inside of the numbers you will use with butter or oil spray to help keep the chocolate from sticking.
  2. Melt the chocolate (the easiest way is to chop and microwave it in a small glass bowl, 20 seconds at a time) and pour it in.
  3. Allow it to cool.
  4. Place the tray in the freezer. If the numbers are frozen, it will help ensure that they don't break when you remove them.
  5. After the numbers freeze, pop them out and use them on the cupcakes!
If you can't bake someone birthday cupcakes, there's always a cupcake birthday card. My friend Bethany (from the awesome ice cream blog Scoopalicious) surprised me by sending me a four pack of cards. I have no idea why her cards don't feature ice cream cones, but I'm OK with that.

Final Note

For regular readers hoping to see an update on the Cupcake Love Connection, Minko is working on her cupcake for Groom 2.5. I'll let you know as soon as Minko has come up with her creation!

4 comments:

  1. When I was in art school, for some assignment I made day of the week necklaces out of different types of chocolate...since I used clay for the molds, they were NOT edible. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the idea! I have a silicon tray of skulls and want to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Thanks so much for the shout out! I am glad you liked them -- there are few people I know that would like them more, and after all your hard work a couple of weekends ago, I thought you deserved a little treat! Reason for the cupcakes...as much as I love ice cream, I always think cupcakes for birthdays and I was in dire need of birthday cards myself! ;) I am going to work on some ice cream thank you's though!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics