Sunday, February 6, 2011

peekfrostings

Anti-Valentine's Day Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF

"Anti-Valentine's Day - why would anyone be anti Valentine's Day?" asked my befuddled mother.  "Valentine's Day is about love.  Why would someone be opposed to love?"  I'm not actually anti Valentine's Day. I have some extremely fond Valentine's Day memories.  I still recall reading "The Tasty Pasty Valentine" as a child - a short story about mice making Valentine's cards and eating the paste.  In more recent years, I've celebrated with sushi-filled Valentine's Day hotel room stays, heart-shaped balloons, and even personalized romance novels.  In fact, as I put the red "X" over the heart-shaped cupcakes, I had a moment of superstitious fear that Aphrodite would spite me. 

However, I do understand why people are anti Valentine's Day.  Couples face pressure to buy gifts, pressure to make the day special, and jacked up prices at every restaurant.  Singles must contend with the constant reminder that others are happily coupled. 

Anti-Valentine's Day parties have become a commonplace way to deal with the hype.  Some are for singles only and some allow couples as long as they aren't all smoochy and romantic.  Any excuse to party sounds good to me, but the question is ...

What Kind of Cupcake Should You Bring to An Anti-Valentine's Day Party?


Here's what an Anti-Valentine's Day cupcake should not be:
  • Chocolate
  • Strawberry
  • Decorated with words about love
The perfect Anti-Valentine's Day cupcake should actually be somewhat sour.  While a lemon cake would do the trick, I decided to track down a particularly sour fruit, tamarind, and make a tamarind cupcake.  I recommend making heart-shaped cupcakes and handing people old fashioned stick candies to make big Xs over the hearts (letting people create their own "X" lets them feel ownership of their holiday hatred).

Tamarind Cupcake Recipe

I enjoyed these tamarind cupcakes.  They were not overly sweet (which seemed appropriate for the theme), had a cornbread-like texture, and sour/tangy aftertaste.  Everyone raved about the lemon glaze (recipe below), but people felt that the cupcakes weren't "cupcakey" and showed them little love (I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the "X" through the heart).  "More for me," I say!

Yield:  10 cupcakes
  • 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 oz tamarind concentrate (I realize this is not an easy item to find.  Look for it at a Thai grocer or buy it online.)
  • 1/4 C apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/4 C flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
  2. Mix in eggs, tamarind, and vinegar.
  3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
  4. Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
  5. Place heart-shaped silicone cupcake liners on a cookie sheet and fill 3/4 full.
  6. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
Lemon Glaze Recipe
  • 1 C powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp milk
  • 1/4 tsp lemon extract
  1. Mix all ingredients together and spread onto cooled cupcakes. 
What About You?


Are you going to an an Anti-Valentine's Day party?  If so, what kind of cupcakes will you bring?

7 comments:

  1. Ha! This is a great idea Stef. I'm not really anti-Valentine's but not really into either. I can understand the negative perspective towards it from others. Anyway, these cupcakes sound intriguing. I've never used tamarind paste but now I want to track some down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working Valentine's Day this year. I'd take these in, except I think giving sour cupcakes to service people whose mood is already bitter is not the thing to do. Maybe I'll stick to heart shaped sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tamarind! You can also find the tamarind paste at an Indian grocery store. I'll have to try these sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun Ideas -- remember crossed candy sticks means.........KISS ! No denying this holiday ~

    xocupid

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice!!! I love your blog (y)
    http://yumandvogt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics