Thursday, September 27, 2007

peekfrostings

Avocado Lime Cupcakes: It Isn't Easy Being Green

Print Friendly and PDF

"Cupcakes just shouldn't be that color,"said my friend about my Avocado Lime Cupcakes knowing full well that any statement she made was liable to appear on this blog. She was willing to try them though. In fact, she ate a full three quarters of a cupcake. Yes, she and her boyfriend (of "I injured myself on a margarita cupcake fame") cut the cupcake into quarters because they were just that skeptical that they wouldn't like it.

While it may sound like I am mocking them, and that would be true, I actually have to give them props. Most people wouldn't even go so far as to taste this cupcake. They saw the green color and turned their noses. "Umm... I think I'll pass this time."

For some tasters, I turned it into a game. "Here's a cupcake. Guess the flavor." I actually had the most success with this group; people like a challenge. They couldn't guess that it was avocado lime, but they enjoyed the flavors. One woman insisted it was kiwi. Even after I told her it was avocado she still stood firm on her kiwi stance.

Growing up in NY, avocado was not a part of my diet. Like many Americans, I had tried guacamole, but never made the leap from that to think about the fruit that made the green blob on my plate. As I got more into sushi, avocado became the pretty splash of color in many of my favorite rolls, but again, it wasn't a flavor unto itself.

My largest avocado exposure was on my honeymoon in Ecuador. They know how to treat an avocado right. Every meal contained slices of fresh avocado. Even soup was always served with an avocado on top.

According to Wikipedia, "In Brazil and Vietnam, avocados are considered sweet fruits, so are frequently used for milk-shakes and occasionally added to ice cream and other desserts. In Vietnam, the Philippines and Indonesia, a dessert drink is made with sugar, milk, and pureed avocado." It's fascinating that other parts of the world think of avocados as a sweet dessert item. Why are we so limited in our avocado thinking?

My Seattle carrot cake loving friend actually made an avocado ice cream recently. He said it was quite good and his friends enjoyed it. Perhaps west coast eaters are more open to avocado adventures than Missouri folks. Unfortunately, I didn't get to taste the ice cream. He will get to taste my cupcakes though, since he'll be in MO this weekend. No fair.

Neurobiology experts say it is good for the brain to do things that are different from your daily routine. Since I wasn't sure if using Avocado differently really helped my brain, I decided to switch things up a little bit more by doing all my baking with one arm.


OK, I didn't do this as a neurobic exercise. I actually broke my elbow while on vacation in Colorado (for those that must know, I was riding a horse and the saddle fell off of it). That's me on the left. No, I can't see the break either, but apparently it is there. You can however, as a friend pointed out, see my underwire. Quite the strip tease, huh?

I probably wouldn't have bothered with one armed baking, but I really wanted to enter Quirky Cupcake's Cupcake Hero contest. The theme this month was lime and since I had planned my recipe already, I thought it would be a shame to not follow through. I was able to do the whole thing myself except for zesting. Can anyone think of a way to zest with only one arm? Anyway, not to sway the judging by playing the disability card, but baking with one arm certainly felt like a cupcake hero kind of thing to do.

And finally... it's time for the recipe. I made this recipe up myself based off of my apple and honey one. That recipe contained applesauce and I figured applesauce could easily be replaced by an avocado lime sauce. It worked! I also used two different frostings. The outer ring was an avocado frosting and the inner ring was a lime cream cheese frosting based on my favorite fool proof cream cheese frosting recipe. My favorite bites were the ones that had both frostings and the cake. It all went perfectly together.

Warning: It is a dense cupcake. Don't make it if you want light and fluffy. Also, don't make this if you are scared of green. If you want your friends to eat it, I'd recommend that you make this outside of the US or on the West coast.

The Avocado Lime Cupcake Recipe
makes 16 cupcakes

Cream:
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 C + 2 T sugar
  • 2 C Flour
  • 4 Eggs

Mash Up in Food Processor (you could probably easily do this by hand if you were able to use 2 hands):


  • 2 avocados
  • 1 t of strong lime juice (I used Volcano Lime Burst - I found it at Whole Foods. The link is for a 24 pack, I just bought one as I'm not a expecting to have to bunker in my house and survive on lime juice any time soon.)
Stir avocado mash and zest of 2 limes into the creamed mixture.
Fill cupcake wrappers. Bake at 350 for 30 min.

Avocado Frosting Recipe

  • 1 avocado
  • 1 cup of powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup of butter

Mash the avocado and mix with the butter and powdered sugar.

Lime Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

  • 1 8oz package of cream cheese (room temperature)
  • 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
  • 4 C powdered sugar (I recomend that you sift it)
  • 1 t lime extract (I couldn't fine lime extract at Whole Foods so I bought it here.)

Mix the cream cheese and butter. Add the powdered sugar and lime extract.

20 comments:

  1. Based on your friend who insisted that the cupcake was kiwi-based, it seems to me that a useful psychological experiment would be to die the cake red and the frosting black, and call them "Raspberry Fudge Delight Cupcakes". Then while people are marveling at the delicious "raspberry-cocoa" flavor, you can astonish them by revealing the shocking truth: not only did you use avocados and not raspberries, but that "fudgey taste" is actually lime juice. The resulting cognitive dissonance will make waves among the cupcake cognoscenti.

    Anyway, creative cupcakes for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought this one was delicious as well as creative. Never mind the implication that I like them all because you make them...some are better than others. Good to eat "outside the cookbook" as well as to think outside the box.

    As always, the blog entry makes me laugh and brightens my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually just lurk- love cupcakes AND your blog. But had to comment. Avocado is my favorite fruit! Yay to you for being so worldly in the midwest. I know lime was the chosen ingredient for the Hero contest- but for future reference- pear and avocado make for an absolutely sublime combination! Thanks for the great post...as usual.
    {{{still can't wait to try beer cupcakes}}}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be trying this recipe out as soon as I go to the store and get some good avocados! I am in the middle of avocado country (Bay Area San Francisco) where I can go just about anywhere and get a burger or sandwich with the slimy green delight on top. I think that avocados are THE BEST fruit in the world and I eat them any chance I get. I mean, what is better than a fruit with fat in it?

    I am excited to try them in a sweet instead of savory way! Thanks for sharing your adventures with the alligator pear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds sublime! Mmmm.

    For the wedding cupcakes, why not traditional white wedding cake? I'm biased in that me loves white cake and the last wedding I attended had ice cream sundays instead of cake at all! What a let down.

    But, any party is a good party, and made even better with the addition of any type of cupcakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glen - Hah! That would certainly be an interesting experiment to do. I should try it sometime.

    Nancy - Thanks!

    Mystery reader - I'm so curious about avocado and pear. I never would have thought of that combo. I will have to give it a try sometime. Let me know what you think if you try the beer cupcakes.

    Gabrielle - Can't wait to hear what you think after you make them and also if they get a better reception with others in the Bay Area.

    Avocado - The bride and groom requested several flavors. While white cake can be great, we thought it would be more fun to try something different. This cupcake is not, however, going to make the wedding cut, it's too different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog and am really excited to try lots of cupcakes (not surprisingly my kids are very excited too!). I may even try the avocado ones since there is a restaurant not far from my house that serves avocado smoothies that are especially delicious! I always tell people to try them before they make a face. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the second avocado cupcake I have seen and I must say it is inspiring to use such a bold ingredient!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely be trying these!

    I made avocado gelato awhile ago and it was fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had this cupcake a few days after it was made, so I may not get the full effect. In fact, the husband of the baker (who deserves lots of credit and applause for doing most of the cleanup after the delicious cakes have been made) told me that it was better at room temperature then the colder temp I had it at.

    With that being said, I thought this was a great idea, but the overall taste was dampered by the heaviness of the cake. I tasted the lime which was great, but could only taste hints of the avocado.

    Rating:
    Cake: C+
    Icing: B+
    Overall Taste: B-
    Appearance: B+
    Overall: B

    Great idea and very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend sent me a link to this recipe and I instantly had to try it. My picky oven decided NOT to bake these through. Even though the ever-trusted toothpick swore it was done, they were still slightly smooshy (is that a word??!?!) in the middle and the tops collasped. Oh well...that's what frosting is for, right? Can I just say: I *heart* the frosting. It's not over-sweet and has a wonderful "smooth" feeling to it, just like when you eat a ripe avocado. Lordy, these are GOOD! I'm gonna have to keep this recipe! THANK YOU!
    Anne from
    http://workingonafullhouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anne - Sorry you had problems with the cake part, but I'm so glad you loved the frosting! Thanks so much for letting me know. It makes me so happy when people try and enjoy my recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Steff,
    I'm so glad you're in my search engine!!! I just did a post which includes avocados and I "borrowed" your link. I hope you don't mind. I found it quite intriguing. I may even try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE avocado ice cream!!! My fiance is also a huge avocado fan...I may have to try these.

    I'm not sure how much better they'd fair out here (CA) than in the midwest...no one here will try my avocado ice cream. More for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great idea, and sounds like a good substitute for green food coloring... being from SF/Cali and all, we're all about eating healthy, and this sounds like a good way to make a key-lime cupcake without that artificial green.

    It's a great idea, and since fruit and veggies have been used in baking for centuries, avocado makes a lot of sense to make something green.

    I used beets for my red velvet cupcakes in place of two bottles of food coloring:

    The Cupcake Adventure

    Thank you for the creation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok I just came across your blog last night when I was searching for a recipe on making my own grenadine and found http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/01/how-to-make-grenadine-and-why-you.html
    And now I can't stop listing the cupcakes I HAVE to make! I just had to make a comment here after reading about your banana obsessed husband though. Bananas and avocados are an incredibly tasty pairing. When my youngest daughter was a baby that was her favorite food that I made - mashed banana & avocado. And now when I make banana bread, she only likes it when it also has avocado included. I bet this would be a nice addition to cupcakes also, I'll experiment and let you know. :) Thank you for the tons of inspiration and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amanda - Neat idea! I've never had that combo before. Have you had bananas w/ sweet potatoes? That's another unusual but really good combo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm! These sound awesome and I'm going to bookmark this recipe to try it out some time! I'm excited to find another avocado lime dessert recipe, as I make an avocado lime pie which receives similar skeptical remarks until folks actually try it. If I haven't told them what it is in advance, people usually guess it's key lime and can't figure out what makes the texture so velvety or think that it's a key lime cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I lived in Vietnam and my favorite "milk shake" there was avocado. 1 fresh avocado, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, a touch of yogurt and some ice. Blend and enjoy! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics