Sunday, September 23, 2007

peekfrostings

Just Cupcake?

Print Friendly and PDF

The more you know, the more the details matter. Earlier this year, I got into apples. Before, an apple was an apple. Now, I pay great attention to the type of apple I am eating. I even stick apple PLU stickers on the border of my office whiteboard to track what kinds I have already tried. Who knew that I don't like Red Delicious with the skin on (it's too thick) or that Pink Ladies were the perfect level of tartness for me?

Obviously, my cupcake obsession has far outweighed that of my interest in apples - you don't see an apple project, do you? (Hmmm, ideas for the future.) Therefore, you can imagine my horror when I saw this menu item during a recent trip to Colorado: "cupcake." Just cupcake? What would the flavor of the cake be? How about the frosting? Was there a ganache?

Had I become the wine snoot that I so often mock - just of the cupcake variety - quoting blogs from where recipes arrived, the way vineyards and vintages are spouted off? Shouldn't the notion that a cupcake had made the menu please me? I asked the server what kind it was. I remember him mentioning a vanilla. Was the frosting also vanilla? It didn't much matter what he had said, the fact that the menu had disrespected my dear cupcake by not adding so much as one descriptive word had turned me off.
  • It wasn't just a cobbler... it was a peach cobbler.
  • It wasn't just pie... it was apple pie.
  • It wasn't just pudding... it was butterscotch pudding.
  • It wasn't just cake... it was a coconut cake or a chocolate cake.
I didn't place the order.

6 comments:

  1. How dare they? And why would they? if it because it changes, they should at least say "cupcake du jour" or something. How odd.

    And I agree it matters. A chocolate cupcake is very different from a tomato cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I say it all the time but, you make me laugh so much when I read your blogs. Hahhaha

    That is truly offensive-
    It's like cupcakes are the Cinderellla of the baking fairytale. Cupcakes will get their prince charming. :) Hahahha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to stick it to the man! I'm a cupcake fanatic and I would have done the same thing. Or asked for two desserts because I was so offended ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you in Denver?! Or maybe Steubens is a chain? I didn't think so, but who knows, I've been wrong before. Well, I found your blog via vanilla garlic and have been reading about once a week for the past few months. I don't know why I just got so excited. Anyway, I have enjoyed it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the support, everyone!

    Murph - I live in STL, but I was on vacation in Denver when I went to Steubens. Glad you've been enjoying the blog! Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you should have tried it. Who knows, it could have been the best cupcake ever!
    Well, probably not but I would have given it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics