Thursday, April 5, 2012

peekfrostings

Hot Cross Buns Stuffed with Chocolate and Strawberries

Print Friendly and PDF


The chocolate cross on these hot cross buns provides just a small hint of what's inside.  Take a bite into the hot cross buns and you'll be surprised by the melted chocolate and chopped fresh strawberries you'll find in the center.  These hot cross buns are far from traditional, but they could easily become a new tradition.  

The hot cross buns' pastry is airy and light - almost like a croissant - and not overly sweet.  I will be using this recipe as a starting point for other sweet rolls in the future with a variety of fillings and mix-ins.  I encourage you to play with the recipe and make it your own.

I baked my hot cross buns in cupcake liners - this is a cupcake blog after all - however, you could also roll the dough into balls and bake them on a cookie sheet.

Hot Cross Buns Recipe

I created this hot cross buns recipe as a guest contribution to Paula Deen's website and you'll find the recipe there.

15 comments:

  1. These look amazing. I am so excited to try them! I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question: Do the strawberries get mushy when you bake them? I noticed in the recipe that you don't pipe in the filling, so would the heat affect them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the aroma and taste of strawberries and so like these cakes.Never seen cupcakes so beautiful. I love the X-shaped choc spread on the crust.

      Delete
  3. As an American in the UK who has gotten addicted to hot cross buns (especially chocolate & orange ones!)... I HAVE to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great! Heading over to Paula Dean for the recipe! Have a great Easter Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OO, the cakes look gorgeous, it is good that I am not good in cooking and baking, because otherwise would have serious problems with extra weight...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these, Stef. They sound and look so darn yummy!

    Enjoy you Easter:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I use Bread Machine Yeast in place of Active Dry in this recipe? All I have on hand in the BMY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe? I haven't tried it. The rising times would be very different.

      Delete
  8. These cupcakes are so unique! It's nice to make a cupcake without frosting once and awhile. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I nominated you for a couple of awards! http://cravingsgoneclean.wordpress.com/2012/04/11/versatile-blogger-and-liebster-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I will have to make these next time I go home. I love hot cross buns and so does my mother. I grew up on these things!

    Budget Earth - Saving Money by Complimenting for Coupons!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Almost like a croissant? That sounds delicious! On this photos cookies looks perfect! I hope i can make them like this :)

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics