Wednesday, April 28, 2010

peekfrostings

Gingersnap Cookies - Making Them Is a Snap!

Print Friendly and PDF


Gingersnap cookies are a snap to make and oh so handy to have around; not in a "gingersnap cookies can clean your car for you" kind of way (though a container of gingersnap cookies could certainly make your Subaru smell better than any air freshener), but in a snacking and baking kind of way.  Gingersnap cookies make a simple morning/afternoon/evening/3AM treat.  Gingersnap cookies also are fabulous crushed.  Crushed gingersnap cookies can turn any ice cream or fresh fruit sorbet into something a bit more memorable.  When crushed, gingersnap cookies can also be the stars of pie crusts or cup-pie crusts.


Speaking of crusts, I used these gingersnap cookies to make the crust (and the topping) for my original mini ginger lemon poppyseed cheesecakes recipe that is currently featured on Paula Deen.


Whether or not you make these cookies from scratch (and I hope you do), I highly encourage you to try out the cheesecakes (get the recipe on Paula Deen).  They are worlds better than lemon poppyseed muffins and they scream Spring! Surprise Mom with some cheesecakes on Mother's Day and you'll have one happy mama.

Gingersnap Cookie Recipe


I got the recipe for these gingersnap cookies from All Recipes.  I opted to not roll my cookies in cinnamon and sugar as the original recipe suggested because I didn't think the cookies needed it.
  • 2 C sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 T ground ginger
  • 2 t baking soda
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 3/4 C shortening (I used room-temperature unsalted butter)
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 C dark molasses
  • 1/3 C cinnamon sugar (I skipped this)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Sift the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a mixing bowl. 
  3. Stir the mixture to blend evenly, and sift a second time into another bowl.
  4. Place the shortening/butter into a mixing bowl and beat until creamy. 
  5. Gradually beat in the white sugar.
  6. Beat in the egg and dark molasses. 
  7. Sift 1/3 of the flour mixture into the shortening mixture; stir to thoroughly blend. 
  8. Sift in the remaining flour mixture, and mix together until a soft dough forms.
  9. Pinch off small amounts of dough and roll into 1 inch diameter balls (or any size that you like) between your hands. 
  10. Roll each ball in cinnamon sugar (if you dig that), and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
  11. Bake in preheated oven until the tops are rounded and slightly cracked, about 10 minutes. 
  12. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.

14 comments:

  1. These cookies are baking in my oven right now! Thank you for the recipe. I converted it to be vegan but left everything equivalent so it should be the same. I can't wait to try one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely gorgeous cookies!
    And OH-MY-GOSH! on the poppy seed cheesecake cupcakes! U R AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look simply delicious! i need to make pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son loves gingersnaps and I love to try new recipes all the time--these are on my to-do list for the next ginger bake-a-thon=ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have several recipes using crushed ginger snaps but i really love ginger snaps with a glass of milk. Are these cookies crisp or chewy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you explain what you mean by "ground ginger"? Is it ginger powder?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fabulous, must try them out too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One Lonely - What'd you think?

    Deborah - They are crisp.

    Anon - Yes, ginger powder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm making these right now... if the taste of the cookie dough is any indication, the baked cookies should be pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple and delicious. Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I stumbled upon your site about 2 weeks ago and have been addicted ever since. I really want to make these lemon poppyseed cupcakes but I am a little hesitant to the ginger in the cheesecake and frosting. Is it a strong ginger taste? I would like the lemon to be more present than ginger, does the lemon zest give it a lot of lemon flavor? I don't want to change your recipe but I will be serving for Mother's Day and my father is picky! Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amber - You can taste both the lemon and the ginger. But, if you are nervous, just cut back on the amount of ginger. You can always add a little at a time and taste until you get it to the flavor that you like. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great! Thanks so much, I will let you know how they turn out...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! I just tried the recipe and they were great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics