Tuesday, June 30, 2009

peekfrostings

4th of July Cupcakes with Built-In Ice Cream Cones

Print Friendly and PDF

4th of July cupcakes need red, white, and blue. But, 4th of July cupcakes (at least in St. Louis) are typically served on a HOT day and will need to compete with anything cold. So this year, my 4th of July cupcakes have a built in ice cream cone with bright red strawberry sorbet! The white comes from the frosting (I could have made the cake white, but went for yellow - close enough) and the blue comes from the sprinkles (I could have also used blueberries if I had some on hand).

These 4th of July cupcakes are designed to get you thinking rather than to provide you with any specific recipe. The key is the mini waffle cone deeply planted into the cupcake (do this right before serving to keep the cone from getting soggy), but what you use for the cake, frosting, and ice cream flavor is up to you!

Here are some other 4th of July ideas, using the mini cone, to get you thinking:
  • Blueberry cupcakes, vanilla buttercream frosting, and cherry ice cream.
  • Raspberry cupcakes, blueberry frosting, and vanilla ice cream.
  • Lemon cupcakes, blackberry frosting (blackberries look blue), and coconut sorbet.
Feel free to share your original ideas in the comments!

Yellow Cake Recipe

For the curious, I'm including the yellow cake recipe that I used. I got the recipe from my Twitter friend Cakes4RockStarz. Despite the thousands of cupcakes I have made, I very rarely make a plain yellow cake and wanted to find a really good recipe. Several Twitter friends helped out by offering their favorites. I have not had a chance to try them all yet, but this one was light, moist, and flavorful. I won't go so far as to say it's the perfect yellow cake - it was missing something, though it's hard to put my very picky finger on what. So, I'm still on the hunt.

Makes 16 cupcakes
  • 1/2 C butter
  • 1 C sugar
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 3 t vanilla bean paste (you could also use vanilla extract or the seeds from 1/2 of a vanilla bean)
  • 2 C flour
  • 2 t baking powder
  • 2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 1/2 C water
  • 1 T apple cider vinegar
  1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. Mix in egg yolks and vanilla.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  4. In another bowl, mix water and apple cider vinegar.
  5. Mix in dry and wet ingredients alternatively to the butter/sugar mixture, ending with the dry.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.
Root Beer Whipped Cream Frosting

I wasn't in the mood for a plain vanilla frosting. This recipe makes a root beer whipped cream frosting, but you can replace the root beer extract with any flavor you prefer.
  • 1 C heavy whipping cream
  • 1/3 C sugar
  • 1/2 t root beer extract
  1. Whip the whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
  2. Mix in sugar and extract.
Other 4th of July Cupcake Ideas

Check out my other 4th of July cupcake ideas.

17 comments:

  1. I am going to beg Husband Pants to make these this weekend (because I am both lazy and ill-skilled in the kitchen). They look so YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super Cute Idea!
    Root beer frosting sounds delish and your sorbet is so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are definitely cute. The cone in the cupcake looks very much like the Statue of Liberty's torch to me, so what about a pretty blue aqua icing and a flaming yellow/orange sorbet? It's not technically red, white, and blue but it could be fun. :)

    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cupcakes and ice cream, what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think these cupcakes could be any cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! They remind me of the statue liberty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're so creative. I just might have to make a variation for the 4th of July...

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so festive and SUPER cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea! I may have to try that during my downtime over the the holiday weekend!

    -Jenniffer
    http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love em!!!!!! Where do you find the energy with baby on board!? Hope you're feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally never considered the statue of liberty thing. Interesting!

    Tina, it helps that I don't have a full-time job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! I did the good ol' fashioned ice cream cone cupcakes for the 4th but these are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute idea! Very festive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful and colorful lovely cup cakes are made especially in the occasion of July 4th and the ice cream cones are looking very fantastic.

    justice

    ------------
    Free Satellite TV

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics