Monday, July 6, 2009

peekfrostings

Chilled Cantaloupe Soup with Lemon and Ginger

Print Friendly and PDF

Why did gazpacho (which in my opinion is simply salsa disguised as a soup) become *the* chilled soup? The other day while attending the Saucy Soiree (an event by the St. Louis food magazine that Jonathan freelances for), I made a new friend - chilled cantaloupe soup. The chilled cantaloupe soup was prepared by Highway 61 Roadhouse & Kitchen. It was sweet enough to be served as dessert, especially since it was topped with pieces of praline. However, it would also work as a great appetizer. I decided I'd have to try to make this refreshing summer treat myself.

After browsing an array of cantaloupe soup recipes, I came accross one that stood out on Organic Valley's website - cantaloupe soup with lemon and ginger. The ginger added a little kick to the soup and the lemon made it extra fresh and summery.

Here is the recipe, with some slight modifications:

Serves 8
  • 2 T butter
  • 2 T honey
  • 1 T finely grated fresh ginger root
  • 1 heaping T finely grated lemon peel
  • 6-7 C coarsely chopped, fully ripe cantaloupe (For me, this was one medium-sized cantaloupe. You might want to buy two just to be safe.)
  • 1 1/2-2 C milk (I used 2%)
  • 8 sprigs fresh mint (I used basil instead since we had some fresh in our garden)
  1. Place butter, honey, ginger root and lemon peel in a small bowl.
  2. Microwave until butter is fully melted, about 45 seconds.
  3. Stir to blend mixture.
  4. Use a rubber spatula to scrape mixture into a food processor or blender.
  5. Add melon chunks and puree until as smooth as possible.
  6. Stir in milk.
  7. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and chill thoroughly (4 or more hours).
  8. Garnish each serving with a mint or basil sprig. (Serving in a hollowed out cantaloupe is a nice effect, but obviously optional.)
  9. Don't eat it all because you can use some to make cantaloupe cupcakes - recipe coming soon!

8 comments:

  1. I had never even heard of chilled fruit soups until they started talking about them at the retirement community where I volunteer. And now there is one here! And soon it will be cupcaked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet! i am so glad you posted this because this is one of my favorite summer recipes. there's nothing like cold soup on a hot day! especially when it's so refreshing and delicious. i've never had it with lemon, but sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love food bowls! Pretty, novelty and so green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of this - but I'm fascinated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks daaaang tasty, Steph.e

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very refreshing. I've been wanting to make a Watermelon Gazpacho. I think both sound delicious but the Cantaloupe soup sounds nice and sweet. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cantaloupe soup with lemon and ginger is very good health drink for our health. It provides us a lot of energy. It is very colorful.

    justice
    ------------
    Free Satellite TV

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the best cantalaoupe gazpacho at the Isleford dock restaurant. A small island about 3 miles outside of Acadia National Park in Maine. It has lobster in it. This recipe here is close, I'll add lobster to it and see if it tastes as good as it did. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics