Thursday, April 2, 2009

peekfrostings

Charoses Recipe - Mom's Recipe

Print Friendly and PDF


Charoses is a reason to look forward to Passover. I would eat charoses year round, but then I wouldn't enjoy it as much over Passover. I could eat it by the bowl - cold or hot. Charoses is almost always served cold, but it's actually great after 30 seconds or so in the microwave - try it!

While I typically experiment and drastically change recipes, there is no messin' with Momma's charoses. Well, except for the fact that I used up this charoses in a Kosher for Passover charoses cupcake.

Charoses Recipe

Mom's charoses recipe is actually from The Complete American-Jewish Cookbook. As I look at this digital picture of the cookbook, I can picture the more worn out version of it sitting in Mom's kitchen and feel all warm and fuzzy. If you want your own worn out version, you can get used copies of this book for only $4 on Amazon!

Here is the recipe twice removed from the book - emailed by my mom and then edited with notes by me:
  • 1 C chopped apples (Mom uses a couple of different apples to make it
  • interesting.)
  • 1/4 C chopped nuts (We always use walnuts.)
  • 1 t sugar or honey (This is not a choice. Use honey!)
  • Grated rind of 1/2 lemon (I ended up using a whole lemon. The more lemon, the merrier.)
  • 1/2 t cinnamon or more to taste
  • 2 tablespoons red wine (about) (Don't go for fancy wine here. You want Manischewitz Concord Grape. I can't imagine charoses with any other wine. It's really an essential ingredient.)
  1. Mix all ingredients.
  2. Add enough wine to bind the mixture.

8 comments:

  1. i am soooo excited about passover! mostly because it's an excuse for me to cook massive amounts of food, which i never get to do in my 3-person house. plus the food is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question that I'm sure you can answer. I don't celebrate Passover, but when I was wandering the grocery store, I discovered a box mix for a kosher Honey Cake. I thought about trying it out, but I couldn't commit to an experiment with a $7 box mix.

    My hope is that the cake would turn out like the many superthin- layered honey cake that I couldn't get enough of in the Czech Republic.

    What do you think? Should I splurge on the boxed honey cake mix? Could you recommend a good honey cake recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - I wish I could help you more. I don't know what kind of honey cake you are looking for. There are tons of honey cakes out there, but I've never had a layered super thin one. Sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this will be redundant after my post on your cupcakes, but I love charoses!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha... fair enough. I'm not even sure of what I'm looking for in a honey cake! :) I'll probably end up trying the cake and blogging about how close the cake is to my now three year old memory of a Czech honey cake. Should be interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of the passover honey cakes that I have ever eaten have been super thick dense brick like objects.

    These are ususally from local bakeries. Don't know if manischevitz, or whatever company your box mix is, has perfected a hjoney cake that might be light and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charoses are always present during Passover meals. This mixture of nuts and fruits are often enjoyed by everyone since it is not only delicious but also healthy. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charoses are always anticipated by everyone during the Feast of the Passover. This delightful offering is always great to serve as it is both healthy and delicious because of the fruit and nuts ingredients.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics