Wednesday, October 8, 2008

peekfrostings

Pudding Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF


Pudding cupcake recipes are very common with cake mixes, but you don't see many from-scratch pudding cupcakes. I'm not sure why. Pudding adds a nice flavor and moistness to any cupcake. You could make these cupcakes using any flavor of pudding. I used tapioca pudding, but I'd like to try it again some time with butterscotch pudding or chocolate pudding.

Pudding Cupcake Recipe

makes 24 cupcakes
  • 1 C (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/3 C sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 3 C flour
  • 3 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 1/2 C pudding (I used tapioca pudding)
  1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
  3. Add the vanilla extract.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
  5. Alternately add the flour mixture and the pudding to the butter/sugar, ending on the flour mixture.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.
This Could Be a Warning or It Could Be Exciting News

If you use tapioca pudding that has large pearl tapioca in these cupcakes, the pearls will get somewhat hard and rubbery in the cupcakes. They are still edible and not too bad if you don't mind chewing, but not everyone liked them. The exciting news is that they look really fun inside the cupcakes and your kids just might love them!

The little green ball poking out of this cupcake is just a hint at the secret colorful balls found inside.

Hey, Where's the Frosting?

These cupcakes got turned into Halloween cupcakes. More on that tomorrow. :)

17 comments:

  1. I love pudding in cupcakes!! I'll have to keep my eye out for colored tapioca! Very cute! My girls would love these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want these cupcakes right now!!!! Excellent idea to include tapioca. I have to include your blog in my blogroll. I don't want to miss one more post...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i like them with just the powdered sugar. youre absolutely right though...ive seen a ton of pudding cake stuff from mixes but never from scratch! i love this idea! the pudding tends to make everything meltier, fudgier, and more mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - Thanks! Just remember that the tapioca does get hard pretty quickly.

    Louise - Aww! Thanks so much! That's so sweet of you!

    MySweet - I think many cupcakes would be good with just powdered sugar. The frosting make them extra pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can anyone tell me how to keep the CC from falling in the middle once you add pudding to the mix? I love the flavor and texture but they look funny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon - Sometimes cupcakes fall because they are filled too high. See if the same thing happens if you don't fill the liners as much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol wow i was just thinking about this the other night too. well thanks for one of the recipes i had in mind so itll make the job easier but im wondering if u ever tried to make a tapioca filling for these or not yet cause that was my second plan XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. JimBob - Nope. I haven't tried that. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just curious if the pudding that is added is prepared pudding, or just the powder?

    Maybe a dumb question but I am new to baking.

    Thanks! I can't wait to try these out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny - It's the prepared pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. do you mix up the pudding mix and put it in the batter or put it in dry. I had seen a recipe to make moist cupcakes with pudding mix, but had not found that original post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teresa - I made these with mixed up pudding (not dry).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I baked these last night for my fiance's birthday, which is today. I was envisioning yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting. I divided all ingredients in half, and I added prepared vanilla pudding as instructed. I let the pudding sit in the fridge while I followed the preceding steps. The pudding mix called for three cups of milk, but I only had two, though I still used all of the pudding mix. My sweetie was surprised, and the cupcakes are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to make these for my home cooking project we have to do for our cooking class. They're sure to be delicious, but I was wondering if perhaps you could make frosting out of pudding? Because I had leftover homemade pudding, and it would be a waste to just eat it plain (I've always liked to mix foods together) so perhaps you could experiment and make a pudding frosting?

    ReplyDelete
  15. i followed the recipe exactly and the cupcakes never got done. i even put them in for longer multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loooooooovvveeeeeee cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics