Wednesday, February 25, 2009

peekfrostings

Oreo Cupcakes - With a Built-In Cup for Milk

Print Friendly and PDF

Oreo cupcake + Oreo cream cheese frosting + mini homemade Oreo cookies + chocolate liqueur cup filled with milk = fun + yum!

Oreo Cupcake Shout-Out

Before I detail how to make the Oreo cupcake and also present some key tips on how to eat it without getting milk everywhere, I have to give a major shout-out to Kendall from Res-o-puh-leese. I get reader questions all the time, and I'm always happy to help where I can. However, I LOVE answering questions that are really challenging - questions that I have never thought of before.

Kendall emailed me saying, "I'm co-hosting a St. Patrick's Day party next month, and I had the idea to make shot glass cupcakes--cupcakes hollowed out around a container holding some Bailey's." I was immediately enamored with the concept of a cupcake with a built-in cup. I decided to try it out with more of a kid theme - but wouldn't the Bailey's idea be fantastic?! Be sure to visit Res-o-puh-leese, Kendall clearly has some great ideas!

Now.. onto to the Oreo cupcake details...

Aside from Oreos, Bissinger's liqueur cups were the key ingredient in these Oreo cupcakes. The cups are the perfect size to fit inside the cupcakes and they are able to hold the milk (which soon turns into chocolate milk) without it leaking into the cupcake.

The liqueur cups come in a 12 pack and you can buy them at Sur La Table. (UPDATE: It looks like they are sold out. You could buy this similar product on Amazon.) Since I'm in St. Louis, we have Bissinger's shops all over and I was able to pick them up locally. You could, of course, make your own chocolate cups. I don't imagine it would be all that hard - just time intensive.

The Oreo cupcakes rose nice and high, which left tons of room to put the chocolate cup in the cupcake. If you are going to use this technique with a different kind of cupcake, make sure that the cupcake is tall and domed, not flat. Before putting the liqueur cup in the cupcake, make sure that the cupcake is COMPLETELY cooled. You do not want to melt the chocolate.

Use a small paring knife to cut a wedge out of the cupcake and then stick the cup in the void. I used some cake from the wedges to make the mouths on my cupcakes. The wedges are also perfect to simply snack on!

I found that the easiest way to fill the cup with milk was to use a small funnel. Don't fill the cups until right before you are ready to serve the cupcakes.

Just like there are many ways to eat an Oreo, there are many ways to eat an Oreo cupcake. However, there is one key guideline: Do not bite into the cup until you have drunk all the milk or you will end up with mess! I had twelve cupcakes with cups and only one taster ended up with a milky mess -Alan of Patric Chocolate. Alan claimed that it had nothing to do with him biting into the cup and everything to do with his cup having a crack. I'm still inclined to blame user error.

You can use up the milk by dunking Oreos in the cup as shown above. This works best if you have mini Oreos. I used my homemade Oreos. You could also just break up full-sized ones up into pieces.

Another idea is to break of the bottom of the cupcake and dunk pieces of the cake in the milk. To get those last few sips, just hold the cupcake up to your face and drink! Don't worry if you get frosting on your face - just look in the mirror, smile, and then lick it off!

Oreo Cupcake Recipe

I got the Oreo cupcake recipe from Heaven is Chocolate, Cheese, and Carbs. It is a really good, basic chocolate cupcake with Oreo bits mixed in. You could use any chocolate or yellow cake cupcake recipe you like in place of this one and simply mix in Oreo bits. I converted the recipe (shown below) from its original metric to US customary units, and added my notes.

Makes 18 cupcakes (Only 12 got the special cup treatment. The rest just got slathered with Oreo cream cheese frosting.)

  • 3/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 2 1/4 C brown sugar
  • 8 oz dark chocolate, melted
  • 3 large eggs, separated
  • 2 t vanilla extract
  • 2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1 3/4 C milk
  • 8 Oreo cookies, smashed to bits
  1. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Mix in egg yolks.
  3. Mix in vanilla and chocolate.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
  5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the butter/sugar mixture.
  6. Stir in Oreos.
  7. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until peaks form.
  8. Fold the batter into the egg whites.
  9. Fill cupcake liners almost to the top - remember that you want these to be tall.
  10. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 F or until a toothpick comes out clean.

61 comments:

  1. I bow down to you Queen of Cupcakes. This is pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's the greatest cupcake idea I've ever seen... now when can I come up with an excuse to make them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this is completely amazing. Completely amazing, do you hear me???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bril. Absolutely bril. Who says pregnancy makes you dumber? haha.
    Clara @ iheartcuppycakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! THis is hilarious and amazing! I want one right now!!
    What an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is so creative! i love your built-in cup for milk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. You are amazing. Simply amazing. What a creative, clever, and AWESOME idea. I cannot wait to try this. A cupcake shot glass? Oh the possibilities! And to top it all off, the cupcakes look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is adorable! it reminds me of the bundt cake with a flower in the middle in my big fat greek wedding...but in all seriousness, this looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea. How creative. This is everyones dream. This appeals to the kid in all of us. I'll have to try these. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so clever! I think of myself as creative and yet I never think of stuff like this. Your posts almost always make me smile. And then they make me think of all kinds of great things I want to try in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are just adorable....you are so talented!

    first time here...found you on foodgawker.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful idea, simply fantastic. Great Job!! they also look very yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is the most creative idea for a cupcake I ever saw!! And many congrats on the baby news (the pickled cucumber cupcake tickled me no end)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an awesome idea! I must suggest that for a wedding reception dessert next time a friend gets married.

    ReplyDelete
  16. FANTASTIC idea. I've never seen anything like it before. You are definitely on to something here, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are the coolest cupcakes EVER!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We LOVE your creative cupcakes and your photography!

    Just FYI, The Celebrity Apprentice made and sold cupcakes on the premiere episode. We blogged a pseudo play-by-play just for laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How perfect for a big-kids birthday party! I'm thinking I have Maddy's next birthday covered!

    ReplyDelete
  20. how freakin cute are those?!?! i love the little milk cup. they look and sound so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are AMAZING!!! So creative... I seriously smile every time I see the picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH MY GOD INCREDIBLE. I WANT ONE. MAKE THAT 10.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is sooooo cool! :) And the mini oreos are adorable! Thanks for stopping by My Baking Heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this idea! My husband is the general manager for a dairy co-op and I always make treats for the board meetings, when I saw this I knew I had to make it for them.. The only problem is, is I can't find those bissinger cups anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made my first ever cupcakes today and they turned out absolutely fab.. only i didnt have the milk cup in them.. love the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ashlee - Hope you saw the email I sent you about getting the cups on Amazon.

    Anon - I'm so glad this worked out for you!! I hope you have many more successful cupcake baking experiences in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  27. ..and then i say something -_-

    ReplyDelete
  28. I made these and blogged about it - they were sensational!!

    Check it out if you want to: http://the-red-deer.blogspot.com/2009/08/baking-mondays-o-is-for-oreo-cupcakes.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm extremely tempted to make these sometime... Just gotta wait until I have money for the chocolate liquer cups. :O

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely amazing!!!

    Featured here:
    http://www.acupcakeblog.com/2009/08/oreo-cupcakes-with-built-in-milk-cup.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. would it work with semi sweet chocolate you think? that's all i have at the moment...

    can't wait to try these!!! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Courtenay - It should work fine - it will be a bit sweeter, but if it's what you've got on hand, I say, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. it worked! they were delicious. i added an oreo to the bottom of each cupcake and baked them. yummm. icing was wonderful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Stef,

    I want to make these and take them to work on Thursday (only cupcakes and frosting).If I make these and frost them the night b4 will they hold well? Should I keep them in the fridge after frosting them?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sana - You can definitely make them the night before and it's fine to leave them out of the fridge - just don't pour the milk in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I can't wait for an occasion to make these! Possibly graduation...I smell a delicious cupcake party!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those are cupcakes are pure genius! I would love to know if you have any cupcake opinions or advice on something. I want to make soccer ball cupcakes for a bday party next weekend. I'd like the cupcakes to be moist chocolate cake (I usually make them with zucchini but wasn't sure if I should for a bday party?) anyway.. topped with buttercream and then an oreo cookie covered with flat image of a soccer ball made of fondant. Um, does that sound insane -- any suggestions in this cupcake adventure?
    I just took fondant classes (it's on my blog) and I so need to try to do this on my own! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Florida Girl - Sounds like you already have it all figured out. It sounds like they will be awesome! Good luck! BTW - I say go for the zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  40. amazing idea. just amazing

    ReplyDelete
  41. I just made these, but they didn't rise properly... so they were really flat which didn't allow me to put the cups into the cupcake :(

    ReplyDelete
  42. hmmm would it be possible to use bittersweet chocolate instead? i don't have any dark chocolate :(

    ReplyDelete
  43. Frog - Sure! That should work just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Is it ok to skim the sugar by a quarter to half a cup? it sounds like it's too sweet with all the oreo and the chocolate in there

    ReplyDelete
  45. LoisK - That should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  46. LOVE the overall taste, but my frosting looked unappetizing with the Oreo bits turning it nearly gray. Another idea would be to leave the cream cheese frosting beautiful white, then sprinkle crushed Oreos on the top of the white-frosted cupcake. Then folks can see they are eating Oreos. Delighted to have found this site, BTW - many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Myy cupcakes rose with a nice crown while baking but I watched through the oven window as they deflated, caving into themselves. Also I had enough batter to easily make 35 regular size cupcakes. Any thoughts on what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anon - Not sure. How did they taste? I'm wondering if you accidentally put too much of some ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Stef, what I have here is oreo cookies with cream in the middle. Should i crushed the oreo together with the cream or leave the cream out?

    ReplyDelete
  50. Tina - Crush with the cream.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Stef, I am baking the oreo cupcakes today. Can't wait to taste them! I also need to bake chocolate cupcakes. Do you have a recipe that you use or do you think I could just make the oreo recipe minus the oreos. Love your site, it's my new favorite. Thanks, Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  52. Just finished making these. I must have done something wrong. Mine did not rise tall like yours. They were pretty flat. Also, my oreo frosting kept clogging up my pastry tip as I was piping it on too. It would come out slow & then all of a sudden come out in a huge glob. Completely aggravating. They taste good though despite that.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Even a cupcake looks like a Happy Pooch when you have dogs on your mind.

    happypoochnoseandpaws@gmail.com

    http://happypoochnoseandpaw.wufoo.com/forms/z7x3x5/

    http://happypoochnoseandpaw.wufoo.com/forms/happy-pooch-nose-and-paw-cream-mail-order-form/

    http://www.facebook.com/happypooch.noseandpaws

    ReplyDelete
  54. A honeymoon to Mexico promises adventurous couples a lot of action and romantic time at beautiful beaches.
    Prom Dresses

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics