Monday, July 21, 2008

peekfrostings

Rhubarb Pulled Pork: Great Today, Even Better Tomorrow

Print Friendly and PDF

Rhubarb pulled pork is my latest cupcake inspiration. Yes, people, rhubarb cupcakes are coming soon. For now, though, it's time to talk about the rhubarb pork.

Rhubarb and pork are words that I had never put together until I saw them on the site of this month's Taste & Create partner, Culinary Disasters. I must admit that with a blog name of Culinary Disasters, I was a bit concerned about finding something good to make there. My fears, however, were unfounded.

The rhubarb pork was a smashing success. It was moist and flavorful. I just have a few things that you might want to consider before making it:
  1. If I were to make the rhubarb pork again, I would definitely make it in a crockpot. No offense to the cast iron dutch oven, but I just find crockpots easier.
  2. Rather than serving it with rice or bread, I would use the pulled pork in a taco. This pork was just screaming to be in a wrap of some sort.
  3. This is a FYI for those who are expecting the pork to taste like a strawberry rhubarb pie. The rhubarb dissolved. It definitely came into play in the flavor, but had I not put it in the cast iron myself, I would never have known it was in the dish.
  4. Save some for leftovers. This pulled pork makes for a great pulled pork sandwich.

The Rhubarb Pulled Pork Recipe

Here is the recipe for rhubarb pulled pork from Culinary Disasters. I made a few notable changes from the original. Whole Foods didn't have a pork shoulder, so I went with a pork loin. I used agave nectar instead of honey - just because I had some on hand. Lastly, I used chipotle peppers instead of jalapenos because I like them better, and I skipped out on the shallots because we didn't have any.

  • About 2 lb pork loin
  • Kosher salt and black pepper
  • 2 T canola oil
  • 1 lb rhubarb, cut into medium slices
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
  • 1 dried chipotle pepper
  • 1/2 C dry white wine
  • 1 1/2 C chicken stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 T agave nectar
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • 1 t five spice powder
  • 1 t ground ginger (feel free to use fresh, just use about 1 T of it)
  1. Add in the oil to your cast iron dutch oven on med-high heat.
  2. Salt and pepper the pork all over and brown on all sides (about 5 minutes a side).
  3. Remove the pork and drain all but 1 T of the oil from the pan.
  4. Keeping the pork aside, add in the rhubarb, pepper, and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes.
  5. Add in the 1/2 C of white wine and reduce by half.
  6. Return the pork to the pan along with the chicken stock, honey, soy sauce, bay leaf, and spices.
  7. Bring this mixture to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer and cover.
  8. The pork will take about three hours to cook, and make sure to flip halfway though. It is done when you can take a fork and easily shred the meat. If it does not shred easily, cover and let it cook for another 15 minutes and try to shred again.
  9. Serve as you see fit.

A Photo-Only Side Dish

No recipe for this one, but here is a photo of the side dish that we enjoyed with the pork. Both the photo and cooking are compliments of Jonathan.

11 comments:

  1. Pork and rhubarb are magical together: so are venison and rhubarb, beef and rhubarb. I've put several pounds of rhubarb in the freezer, some fall day I am completely making this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about planting rhubarb next year - your description of this dish just might have convinced me to go ahead and do it.

    You had me a bit concerned about a rhubarb pork cupcake until I re-read your first paragraph and was reassured that the cupcakes will be sans pork. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I just voted for your excellent blog for Bloggers Choice Awards.

    Could you return the favor at:

    http://www.bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/21620

    Thanks,

    SpEdLaw2

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very un-kosher of you :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great use for rhubarb. Not having cooked with rhubarb before, and wanting to try it, I'm scouring for recipes that would use it in a savoury dish. I'm bookmarking this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...this pulled pork sounds mouth wateringly good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alanna - This would be great with venison.

    Lori - Hah! Yeah, no pork in the cupcakes.

    Jim - Thanks for your vote.

    Eating club - Any time. There are lots of great rhubarb recipes out there.

    Kamaile - Most are. :) I love pulled pork with lots of BBQ sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chipotle was an awesome substitution and something about those smokey little jalapenos that are so great.

    Looks awesome and yeah if I could find my crock pot (I am thinking I left it at my parents house) that would make the entire process a lot easier.

    p.s. can I put a vote in for yes on pork cupcakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So yummy. Are those nugget potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeff - Hah! Well, I did make cupcakes with bacon frosting.

    Alej - They are fingerling potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Joe. Glad you like the blog. Your site looks great! You've got some tasty looking stuff on there. Let me know if there is any specific feedback you would like.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics