Thursday, January 31, 2013

peekfrostings

Gumbo Mardi Gras Cupcakes Now Exist

Print Friendly and PDF

I was alone in the kitchen when these gumbo Mardi Gras cupcakes came out of the oven.  Although I had loaded them with big chunks of smoked andouille sausage and prepared them using a roux (the traditional method for making gumbo), I wasn't sure what to expect.  Like you, I'd never tried a gumbo cupcake.  Would the cupcake taste vaguely spicy, or perhaps like a cupcake version of pigs in the blanket?

What I tasted as I popped a warm gumbo cupcake bite into my mouth blew my mind.  I tasted gumbo!  "These cupcakes actually taste like gumbo!"  I exclaimed aloud to no one but the masked ghosts of Mardi Gras past, present, and future who were giving me quizzical sidelong glances.

I served up these Mardi Gras gumbo cupcakes to several friends (trying to contain my excitement, lest they think me bonkers for proclaiming that the taste was so similar to the Cajun classic). To my relief and joy, they all agreed with me! One of my friends even went so far as to say that my cupcakes tasted like the gumbo made by one of the best chefs in town - huge happy dance time!

Are these gumbo cupcakes wacky? Oh, yeah!  Are they worth making for Mardi Gras?  You betcha!  Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Everything You Need to Know About Mardi Gras Gumbo Cupcakes

  1. I put a shrimp on top of the cupcake.  It's a nice touch, I think, but there is no fish in the cupcake.  If you want to try a version with fish in the cupcake, go for it!
  2. Some gumbo has okra, some doesn't.  I made my gumbo cupcakes sans okra.  I may be the only cupcake baker on the planet who opted against using okra in a cupcake recipe because she already has a recipe for okra cupcakes.
  3. There's sugar in these cupcakes, but they are definitely savory.  It really confuses people if you try to call them dessert.  I'd suggest serving them as an appetizer.
  4. Serve the cupcakes warm.  They are much better that way.  You can reheat them in the microwave (in ten second bursts).
  5. The glaze works well on the cupcakes and makes them look more like cupcakes, but it's totally superfluous.  The cupcakes are just as good without the glaze.
  6. Did I mention that these cupcakes taste just like gumbo?!?!
Gumbo Mardi Gras Cupcakes Recipe

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Roux Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
Cupcake Ingredients:
  • roux (from above)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon file powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground paprika
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons tomato paste
  • 6 ounces andouille sausage, cooked and roughly chopped
Glaze Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon file powder
  • 12 grilled shrimp, optional
Roux Directions:

I used the oven method for the roux because I clearly prefer baking to cooking.  This roux will come out much thicker than a traditional roux.  This is intentional.
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Place oil and flour in an oven-safe skillet.
  3. Bake for ninety minutes, stirring every twenty minutes.  The end result should be thick and medium brown.
  4. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature before using in this cupcake recipe.
Cupcake Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix roux, sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
  3. Mix in eggs, one at a time.
  4. Mix in chicken broth.
  5. Mix in tomato paste.
  6. Fold in sausage.
  7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
Glaze Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients.
  2. Spread over warm cupcakes.  (If not serving immediately, refrigerate until ready to serve, and reheat in the microwave in ten second bursts.)
  3. Optionally, top with a grilled shrimp.

10 comments:

  1. You are crazy...but I love it!! Just went to New Orleans last weekend and had a blast and had really amazing gumbo. Inspired us to have a Mardi Gras themed Super Bowl party, might just have to give these a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy! I bet everything was overpriced there bcs of the SuperBowl. Go Ravens...Haha.

      Delete
  2. THESE.ARE.AMAZING!
    Gumbo Cupcakes...oh my

    ReplyDelete
  3. No file powder to be had in my area and I wanted to make them IMMEDIATELY DARN IT, so I just used a bit more of each of the other spices in the cupcake and in the icing. This is an excellent flavor combination! My weekly foodie potluck thought they were brilliant and started naming other stews that they would like to eat in cupcake form. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cool! I've always wondered about savory cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks good want to try some
    text for free at
    www.utextme4free.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are inspired and spectacular. Superb work - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Took these to work this morning and they got rave reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would try it with shrimp on the inside too. I can imagine that they tasted good with the pork sausage in there and the shrimp on top. However I would want a little bit of shrimp in every bite plus the added goodness of being able to enjoy a whole plump, tasty shrimp after I had finished the cupcake.

    It's a good idea but it's not going to suit everyone's taste. I think some people still prefer their cupcakes vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so so curious about this one. Definitely going to try it

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics