Monday, August 13, 2012

peekfrostings

Which Scoop Size Should You Use To Fill Cupcake Liners?

Print Friendly and PDF




For years, I've been preaching that the best way to fill cupcake liners is to use an ice cream scoop.  In all of that time, I neglected to tell you which size scoop to use.

Which Size Scoop Should You Use to Fill Cupcake Liners?


Before I tell you which size scoop you should use to fill cupcake liners, we first must change our terminology.  Those of you in the food service industry and some experienced home cooks may already know that the scoops in the photo above are technically called "dishers."  A disher is the tool used by the cafeteria lady to dish out mashed potatoes from a big vat onto your plate - the same tool used by a top chef to give you a dollop of maple corn gelato.  Dishers come in a huge array of sizes and cupcake bakers should own three.

The dishers that I use were a gift to me from Zeroll - each size has a special number and a special color.  Below, I'll share which Zeroll numbers I use and I'll also let you know how much batter the disher holds so that if you prefer to use a different brand, you may do so.

Standard Size Cupcakes



Most of the cupcakes that I make, like these Lucky Charm cupcakes, are standard-sized cupcakes.  For these, I recommend using use disher size 24, which holds about 1.33 ounces.  It will fill the liner about 3/4 full.  If you are using a recipe that requires filling the liner 2/3 full or just halfway, you can still get by with this disher (just don't fill the entire disher with batter). 

Jumbo Cupcakes


Jumbo cupcakes, like my lemon icebox cupcakes, use disher size 8 - which holds about four ounces.

Mini Cupcakes


Mini cupcakes, like these flourless chocolate minis, use disher size 50 - which holds about .65 ounce.

Bonus Tip

Here's another tip (just because I'm dishing them out today): even if you are not a professional baker, I highly recommend buying cupcake liners in bulk.  You will save a lot of money.  You can buy 500 standard-sized white liners for around $13, 100 mini liners for around $3, and 500 jumbo liners for about $25.

11 comments:

  1. Is there a site you recommend to buy liners in bulk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just get them on Amazon. I've got a link in the post.

      Delete
  2. great post! this is the biggest issue i run into. especially since i have oxo scoops so they don't have the same numbers. i should probably just dish up the $$ for some real scoops, huh?

    Do you notice any issues with the (seemingly) short handles on the dishers you use??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.. I hadn't even thought about the handles being short. No problems at all.

      Delete
  3. Very informative post, thanks. We don't get those scoops here so I'm assuming a 1.5oz will do the job.

    -Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have scoops like that. I just use a tsp. size one twice for each standard size cupcake. There is a store where I live and they sell 1,000 cupcake liners for $8! It's a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've alway hated using scoops... it's so hard not to spill batter all over the pan. What I do is I put the batter into a ziplocbag and then cut a hole in a corner and use it as a pastry bag. Ever since my cupcakes are so even-sized I still clap a bit whem I take them off the oven :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pulix has a variety of different sizes of scoops. Its where I got mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never even heard of a disher until recently when my brothers found a size 40 on the job (property preservation, abandoned house) and brought it home. I have used it ever since for cupcakes, muffins, and cookies. One scoop is the perfect cookie size, and two scoops makes a perfect muffin/cupcake. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you really like your Zeroll size 50? I have struggled with a couple of different brands (expensive) mini dishers and the mechanism breaks fairly quickly. I am happy with all my other sizes, but have yet to find a good mini. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the specificity! Very useful.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics