Sunday, August 21, 2011

peekfrostings

Peanut Butter Cookie Dough That's Safe to Eat

Print Friendly and PDF


Why does cookie dough always refer to chocolate chip cookie dough?  For that matter, why does 90% of cookie dough ice cream use a vanilla ice cream base?  In the name of variety and a flavor combination that's hard to go wrong with, I present a recipe for peanut butter cookie dough that's safe to eat raw (no eggs!) and a recommendation that you mix it into chocolate ice cream.

When making peanut butter cookie dough, you needn't worry about ingredient order, mixing speeds, temperature, or times.  You aren't going to bake the cookie dough, so you can say, "Nanny nanny poo poo," to the laws of baking chemistry - just mix and eat!


Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Recipe

Remember: this is a recipe for raw cookie dough.  If you bake the peanut butter cookie dough, it won't turn into perfect peanut butter cookies; it does not contain baking powder, baking soda, or eggs.  The peanut butter cookie dough is meant to be eaten straight from the bowl - just like you would anyway, but without the guilt.

Yield: About 2 cups of peanut butter cookie dough
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth will both work, so pick your favorite kind)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons whole milk (add more if you prefer a more wet dough)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla exract
  1. Mix everything in a big mixing bowl. 
  2. Eat!
Want More?
Peanut Butter, You?

Long time readers know that I don't like peanut butter and I vowed never to make flavors that I don't personally like.  In this case, I made a batch of the cookie dough with almond butter and a batch with the peanut butter.  I taste-tested the almond butter batch and loved it (I highly recommend that you try this recipe with all kinds of nut butters) and relied on my testers to tell me how much they enjoyed the peanut butter batch.

Credits

Thanks to Janice Willis for her idea to make peanut butter cookie dough.  She left me a note on my Facebook page requesting a recipe.  If there is ever something you'd like me to try, let me know.  No promises, but I'll do my best to either make it or point you in the right direction to find a recipe.

16 comments:

  1. I actually prefer vanilla ice cream to chocolate but that's because I am a weird female that doesn't like to be overloaded with chocolate. But I really love these peanut butter cookie dough balls! Raw cookie dough is the best and peanut butter is heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! I am a self-professed dough addict. And an eggless, peanut butter, chocolate-friendly dough?? Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh...I hope there are PB cookie dough cupcakes in the future! I will love you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decided to make this today, and I'm glad I did. Very tasty. I ate a nice big ball and then used the rest to make home made peanut butter cups in chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm...guess I skipped the little note that said you will be making cookie dough frosting. that sounds yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This cookie dough is a must! I love cookie dough soo much! Thanks for inventing this! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely amazing. I'm eating this as I type! Best peanut butter cookie dough I've ever tasted, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum yum yum yum... Best cookie dough ever, I'm eating it in choccie ice cream as we speak...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this so much that I made some and featured it on my blog today. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cookie dough but i like to roll out little balls and cover them in chocolate! let them sit and harden OMG AMAZING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. do you have to use whole milk, or would say...2% work just as well?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peanut butter is my absolute favourite flavour! Here are a couple of tips that I'll be using when I make this:

    1. You can make this vegan by using coconut spread instead of butter (Earth Balance is really good) and rice, soy or nut milk instead of dairy milk.

    2. Use coconut or almond flour instead of wheat flour. This will give the same end result but without the "bad" raw taste.

    3. You can use sunflower butter interchangeably with most nut butters. A good friend of mine is allergic to peanuts and most tree nuts and this is an excellent compromise that virtually no one can detect. Trader Joe's has a great sunflower butter that's reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally a cookie dough that's safe to eat without having to worry about "worms!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummy! we make this with soy butter, since my son is allergic to peanuts. It's sooo good:) Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics