Friday, June 20, 2008

peekfrostings

Raspberry Cupcakes with Lemon and Chocolate: A Vere Inspired Cupcake

Print Friendly and PDF

Raspberry cupcakes with lemon and chocolate wrap up Vere week. Start back on Part I to read all of the Vere week posts.

The details of the raspberry cupcakes are after the break.

The Raspberry Cupcake Inspiration

The raspberry cupcake was based off of Vere's raspberry lemon organic dark chocolate bar. When Kathy first sent me the sample bar, I could barely taste the raspberries. However, when she sent me the full-sized bar, I could taste the berries and I was in love. First, you taste the chocolate, then the raspberries, and then it finishes with the lemon. The flavor combination was incredible.

I wanted a cupcake that would do the same thing!

Choosing the Raspberry Cupcake Recipe

Bon Appetit recently featured a lemon raspberry cupcake. It looked great, but it used raspberry jam. I wanted to use fresh raspberries.

I ended up turning to the now-retired-from-blogging but still ever useful Chockylit. She had a recipe for raspberry ricotta almond cupcakes that sounded amazing. Of course, modifications would need to be made - most notably, I used no ricotta and I added lemon extract and chocolate. I'm sure my cupcake tasted nothing like hers, however I must give credit where credit is due. Her recipe got me going in the right direction.

What's Happening On Top of Those Raspberry Cupcakes?

To accentuate the lemon flavor on the raspberry cupcakes, I baked some lemon cookie dough (well, it's not really cookie dough as you'll see later, but close enough) on top of some of the cupcakes. I made the cupcakes three ways:

  1. With cookies in cookie shape. Unlike the cookie on the snickerdoodle cupcakes, this one kept its shape and did not meld into the cupcake. It has a completely different taste and texture from the cupcake. It almost looks like I just put the cookie on top of the cupcake, but it's actually baked on. It was topped with a small swirl of chocolate whipped cream and a fresh raspberry.
  2. Crumbles of cookie dough on top. This cupcake kind was also topped with the chocolate whipped cream and raspberry combo.
  3. No cookie dough. I simply covered the top with lots of chocolate whipped cream and of course the fresh raspberry.

How'd the Raspberry Cupcakes Taste?

I was excited that the raspberry cupcakes left me with a similar experience to the chocolate bar. I could taste all three flavors (raspberry, lemon, and chocolate) at different times, but also the wonderful combination of them together. The cupcakes were extraordinarily moist, but not so much as to be messy.

Check back for additional tasting notes and Bride and Groom 2.0's thoughts. Things have been vere busy and they haven't been able to taste the cupcakes yet.

Update: People raved and drooled over these cupcakes. They were a huge hit! Everyone loved their moistness and complex flavor. One friend and frequent taster even said that if it were his wedding, he would choose these!

Everyone, however, does not include Bride and Groom 2.0 and the friend that tasted with them. Bride and Groom 2.0 thought they were too dense and not moist enough. I will not judge their comments, but note my comments above about everyone else and moisture. Bride and Groom 2.0 also didn't like the texture of the raspberry seeds. That's definitely understandable. It's not for everyone. Groom 2.0 was, however, excited about the chocolate bits in the cake: "Oooh - chocolate bits!" Lastly, Bride and Groom 2.0 both enjoyed the frosting.

The Raspberry Cupcake Recipe

As I noted earlier, the raspberry cupcake recipe was an extreme modification of a recipe by Chockylit:

Makes about 18 cupcakes

  • 1 C almond flour
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1/4 C plain yogurt
  • 1/4 C sour cream
  • 1/2 C (1 stick) butter, room temperature
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 t lemon extract
  • 2/3 C flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1 C finely chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
  • 1 C raspberries
  1. Mix almond flour and sugar.
  2. Slowly add yogurt and sour cream.
  3. Add butter, one tablespoon at a time.
  4. Gradually add the eggs.
  5. Add lemon extract.
  6. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
  7. Fold in the flour mixture.
  8. Fold in the chocolate and raspberries.
  9. Fill cupcake liners about 3/4 full. These cupcakes will not rise very much. If you want them to be taller, you can fill them ever higher.
  10. If you are not putting the lemon cookie topping on the cupcakes, bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until the top bounces back when touched. If you are putting the lemon cookie topping on the cupcakes, don't put them in the oven yet! After you put the cookie topping on, follow the same baking instructions.

The Lemon Cookie Dough Recipe

The recipe that I used for the lemon cookie dough is actually tart dough from A Treasury of Great Recipes by Vincent Price. I've used this recipe as a pie crust for apple pies since I was a kid. It's a lousy pie crust in that it doesn't roll well at all, but it tastes so good that I just don't care. One of my favorite parts of preparing this recipe is that everything is mixed by hand. Get messy and lick your fingers!

  • 1 1/4 C four
  • 4 T sugar
  • 1 stick (1/2 C) butter, room temperature
  • 2 egg yolks
  • Grated rind of 1 lemon
  1. Put flour on a pastry board or any clean surface.
  2. Make a well (basically a hole) in the center of the flour.
  3. Put all the other ingredients in the well.
  4. Use your hands to work all of the center ingredients into a paste.
  5. Knead in the flour.
  6. Keep working the dough until you can make it into one big ball.
  7. Do with it whatever you want! I made little patties with some of it and laid them directly on the cupcakes before baking. I crumbled some of it over other cupcakes. I still had some left, so I rolled it into little balls and baked them on a cookie sheet at 350 F for 15 minutes.

The Chocolate Whipped Cream Recipe

As you can see from the photos of the cupcakes, on 2/3 of the cupcakes I used vere (will I ever stop spelling it like that?) little frosting. If you want to cover your cupcakes in frosting, be sure to double this recipe.

The picture above is of my frosting staging area. Every time I frost, I use a little test plate to pipe a bit before piping onto my cupcakes. This gives me a chance to play with ideas and get a better feel for the consistency of the frosting.

  • 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
  • 2 T sugar
  • 2 T cocoa powder
  1. Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.
  2. Beat in sugar.
  3. Beat in cocoa powder.
  4. Pipe or spread or just lick the beater.

54 comments:

  1. what a fabulous combination of flavors. vere inspired, indeed. you are so inventive and talented--well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with the title, I wasn't expecting the combination that you made! Chocolate whipped cream atop lemon cookie dough? Inspired and unique! Thanks for a great week of posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound fantastic! I can't wait to try them out....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow...those look amazing! Definitely a recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cupcakes sound amazing! How do I get some? :)

    How long did it take you to work that out? How many cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look so pretty and delicious! I love the cookie topped ones - vere cute. ;) Where do you find almond flour? I've never even heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so pretty! I like the idea of fresh raspberry too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I normally don't like the raspberry flavor, but those look and sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going to try to make some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for letting me be part of your Cupcake Family this week. I've really enjoyed your comments and enthusiasm...and I'm amazed that Stef has the energy to do all of this AND bake fabulous cupcakes! If you're ever in Manhattan..stop by the VERE factory on Fridays 12 - 6 for free tastings.. See our website www.veregoods.com.... Warm regards...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow. wowie wow wow. and yum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate, lemon, and raspberry! Wow. Those look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you to Kathy and Stef for making this week possible - and OMGosh, I won! I won!!!! Yay!!! Thank you for that, too! :)

    Secondly, could these cupcakes look any more delicious? I'm sure they taste YUMMO!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love raspberry and lemon together, and raspberry and chocolate together, but I'd never considered combining all 3 flavors before. I will have to give this a try -- it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh gooosh those look fabulous!
    Maybe Vere should consider expanding to a cafe line with Vere chocolate baked goods? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those sound delicious!!! I love the different combinations of the same flavors that you offer. Very creative.

    traceyrtch at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is like the lovechild of all my wildest flavor dreams. So saving this recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that looks so good. I love chocolate and raspberry. And I love chocolate and lemon. I never thought of putting them all together. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cookie on top of the cupcake is brilliant! I sooo love it a LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How on Earth did you nkow I was planning on making chocolate raspberry cupcakes today? I'm super excited to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  21. lovely! i've made several of your cupcakes (my favorites - keylime and the margarita) but these will have to be the next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. yum, these look sooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been reading the interviews all week and have loved them! I can't believe I'm asking you about the cookie dough, but when you make the tart crust, how long/temp do you prebake it? same as for the plain cookies? I'm thinking lemony crust with blueberry curd...of course this is after I try making your tres leches cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. Lemon, chocolate and raspberry in one tasty treat! Can't wait to try this one myself...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jen - I found the almond four at Whole Foods. If you can't find any, you can just really finely ground some almonds in the food processor.

    Jennifer - 1st try! :) I got lucky!

    L - For a tart, you would bake for 15 minutes at 425, then reduce the heat to 350 and bake for another 30minutes. Also, you should refrigerate the dough before using it. No need to prebake though.

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look great! Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just added all these to my shopping list.. I have to try these because I love all 3.. what a genius idea to put all 3 together.. yummy! I have to try these as soon as I get a chance (and before it gets too hot to turn the oven on in my apartment again, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You can't go wrong with a lemon/chocolate/raspberry combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great blog! Just found you for the first time. I'm lovin all these cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those sound and look amazing! What a great flavor combo.

    ReplyDelete
  31. These cupcakes sound delicious. Very inventive. :) I'm curious about the chocolate bar as well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those look fantastic! I wasn't sure how well lemon and chocolate would go together when I saw the title, but your description won me over.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would totally buy scratch-n-sniff internet just for your awesome baking.

    I love that the cupcake base was raspberry and the lemon and chocolate were just the proverbial icing on the cake. Good stuff, Stef!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm so sad that Chockylit is retired!! :( Thankfully I have you, still. If you go away, though...I'll have to cut a bitch.

    The flavours all sound really good together, but I'm stuck on the "cookie and cupcake" combination. Is it a weird texture to have both?

    ReplyDelete
  35. raspberry and chocolate always sound like a good combo for me ... and with the lemon cookie topping, yum yum! :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ley - Yeah - she was truly the master! I like the cookie and cupcake together. It's just like those muffins that have the crumbles on top of them. It's not a super crispy cookie, more like a soft butter cookie. Btw - Thanks for the sweet compliment, I'm don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looks delicious! what a great combination of flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Now those are some fabulous looking cupcakes. I want one! Now! (I think I just turned into a five-year-old.)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I like the icing recipe, but I've seen similar using actual chocolate. I'm surprised that this icing wasn't using it too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great interview and wonderful cupcakes--I love lemon and chocolate. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Danica - I assume when you say "actual chocolate" you mean a chocolate bar or blocks of chocolate. I used Askinosie cocoa powder which is rich and delicious and easier than messing with melting chocolate. I know - after all that work, what's one extra step - well, the clean-up crew (aka my husband) prefers it when I don't start using an extra pot and the stove if I don't have to and the cocoa powder is just as good - maybe even better - than the melted stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  42. These sound absolutely gorgeous! I loved the tie-in interviews, too. I hope Bride and Groom 2.0 like them - looks like they'd be crazy not to!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a great week of posts! I love the flavor combination of this recipe. I can't wait to see what else you come with!

    ReplyDelete
  44. mmm....I just used this recipe to make a cake this past weekend! Delish! I made the cake/cookie recipe as is (except put it in a cake pan), but then topped it with a chocolate glaze (almost a ganache). Very yum!

    While it's totally, utterly moist, I can see someone caling them dry because of the coarser texture from the almond flour. Even knowing better, my mind equated the texture with dryness. These are so completely not dry though!

    ReplyDelete
  45. These look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics