Wednesday, February 21, 2007

peekfrostings

About

Print Friendly and PDF

My Story

Hi, I'm Stef.  I live in St. Louis, Missouri with my husband (who is the editor, photographer, and official taster for Cupcake Project) and our toddler.  Food writing wasn't always my full time job.  Here's how it started:

At dinner one night in early 2006, some good friends mentioned that they were trying to decide where to buy cupcakes for their wedding. I surprised myself and others at the table by offering to bake for them (I had never baked a cupcake before - ever!). My friends surprised me by accepting. Their wedding was Dec 31, 2007 and I had exactly nine months to learn to bake wedding-worthy cupcakes.  I baked a new cupcake for them every week and let them choose their three favorites for the big day.  In doing so, I began to go a bit cupcake crazy!


My cupcake obsession continues to grow. I completed a second wedding on Oct. 12, 2008, a third one on May 30, 2010, and a fourth one in March 26, 2011.  Even when I'm not working on a specific project, my quest to master the cupcake endures. Each week, I feature new cupcake recipes, ingredient and technique spotlights, and baking-related product giveaways.


Media Coverage of Cupcake Project

Print


Better Homes and Gardens
People Magazine
DNews (a newspaper in Rome)
American Lifestyle Magazine
ImagesAZ
Meagan Hearts Baking (a childrens' book about a girl learning to bake cupcakes)
St. Louis Post Dispatch
Sauce Magazine
FEAST Magazine

Online

Paula Deen (regular guest contributor)
Martha Stewart
Bon Appetit (Cupcakewurst) and (Chickpea Cupcakes)
Saveur
Today
CNN
Reader's Digest
PBS 
Food Network
ComedyCentral
Cracked
New York Times
Huffington Post
TLC Cake Crew

Women's Health Magazine Online
Culture Cheese Magazine
Shape 
Story of My Life
St. Louis Beacon
USA Today Technology Live 
Numerous blogs including: Serious Eats, Cupcakes Take the Cake, BlogHer, Slashfood, All Things Cupcake, Simply Recipes.

Television and Video

ABC's The Chew
FOX 2 News
KMOV's Great Day St. Louis 
Good Day Sacramento
ToastedRav

Radio

KRUU - Great Taste 


Cupcake Project Awards

Cupcake Project at BloggedAt the time of this post, Cupcake Project has a rank of 9.0 on blogged.com. It is ranked 10th in the category of cooking blogs and 2nd in the category of baking and dessert blogs.

Kick Ass Award - Yes, that's a real award given out in St. Louis. You even get a trophy.

Tomato Cupcakes - Runner up in Iron Barley's Tomato Fest 2007

Baked Bean and Tomato Cupcakes - 1st Place Winner in Iron Barley's Tomato Fest 2008

King Cake Cupcakes - 3rd Prize in Iron Barley's King Cake Contest

Avocado Lime Cupcakes - Won the Quirkiest Cupcake award in the monthly Cupcake Hero contest.


What People are Saying About Cupcake Project

Kate Heddings, Senior Food Editor at Food and; Wine: "As a reminder of how creative, adorable, fun, and delicious a cupcake can be, check out some of my favorite blogspots: cupcakeblog.com and cupcakeproject.blogspot.com."

Evite: "Stef over at Cupcake Project has developed a recipe for mimosa cupcakes (that's one in the photo); pause for a sec to think about how delicious and celebratory that sounds.
While you're letting it sink in, let me describe them for you: orange-flavored cupcakes with a sweet champagne syrup drizzled on them, then topped with champagne frosting and a sprinkling of orange zest. Perfect."

The Food Channel:
One of our new favorites is CupcakeProject.com, a creation of cupcake chef and food blogger, Stef. If you follow her blog you know she’s deliciously deft with words and incredibly creative with cupcakes.

Elastic Waist: "Even better than a project--and who knew that there could be something better than a project that keeps you occupied and interested and satisfied--is a project that includes cupcakes. An entire project! Revolving around creating the most perfect cupcake ever created! How cool is that? I'll tell you: it is so cool. "

Lemondrop: "What happens when a recreational baker volunteers to make cupcakes for her friends' wedding? Find out at Cupcake Project, which chronicles Stefani Pollack's weekly experiments with recipes. Two weddings and thousands of cupcakes later, Stefani has come up with genius creations such as a Ferrero Rocher-inspired recipe and the unexpected Beer Cheese Cupcakes with Bacon Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting."

Culinary Curiosity: "Steph makes a divine cupcake inspired by the chocolate hazelnut goodness of the Ferrero Rocher."

HomeMadeS: "Better Than Sex Chocolate Cupcakes by Stef (Cupcake Project) St. Louis, Missouri I could only say: WOW!! Just look at the cupcake base, filling, frosting, and decoration! Perhaps, this can be much better than s.e.x!"

The State of Discontent:"I met this chick who writes a blog entirely about cupcakes, which of course meant I had to blogroll her immediately when I came home, because, honestly, who wouldn't want to read a blog entirely about cupcakes? Only a person with no heart or no tastebuds could resist a blog entirely about cupcakes."

St. Louis Working Mom: "My other favorite food-related blog is Stef’s Cupcake Project. If you’re a St. Louis blogger, you’ve probably discovered the most delicious looking and sounding cupcakes ever, and followed the drama as Stef developed her creations for a wedding."

Gut Check: "The Cupcake Project continues its apparent quest to drive me insane with hunger: Lavender-pear cupcakes. "

YumSugar: "Stef has surprised us all with a Corned Beef and Cabbage Cupcake. The cupcakes actually have corned beef in them and the frosting is actually a malt vinegar-cabbage frosting. I think it sounds a tiny bit revolting, but I would love to sink my teeth into one and see for myself."

What's Cooking: "I was paired with Stef from Cupcake Project and I must say that I loved what I saw on her blog. I am not a cupcake person. I had never made cupcakes in my life before and I don’t really eat them that often. However, looking through her blog I saw so many interesting recipes I liked that I promised myself to start baking cupcakes at least once a year."


Tempered Woman: This one you're just going to have to read. She actually took the time to make a mock-up of my beer cheese cupcakes. That's her picture to the right. This has got to be one of my favorite blog mentions ever - almost up there with Food and Wine.

37 comments:

  1. Woohoo! It's nice to meet a kindred cupcake spirit. I have a project of my own...cupcakes for my own wedding on Oct 1st this year. I've made 2 wedding cakes for friends before, so I guess this is project 3.0! lol.
    The big issue? My wedding is in FIJI. So not only am I having the joy of finding flavours, but they have to hold up in the heat as well.
    So far the finalists are red velvet, nutella, passionfruit and lime / coconut.
    Can't wait to see how your project develops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I'm impressed! Good luck with it! Congrats on upcoming wedding! Great flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working on my own cupcake project. I'm baking 300 cupcakes for the 50th anniversary gala for the motorcycle club of which I am a member. Also, no mint, no nuts.

    Good luck! I'll be following your project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faith - Fun! Best of luck!! I'll be curious to hear what flavor you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend's mom told me about your site after seeing it as the site of the day on channel 5! I took some cake decorating classes and have been baking cakes for 2 years now and am gradually finding that I really like cupcakes and all the possibilities they hold so I am loving your website!!! Thanks so much for writing about all your trials and tribulations! You're in my favorites now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elmis - Thanks so much for writing! Good luck with the cupcakes! Let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love your blog... i have an insane obsession about cupcakes.. thanxxx for so much joy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stumbled upon your website today. I love cupcakes and i've been baking for about 9 years. I've been doing cupcakes for about 4 but they are all the rage lately. I see that you are venturing into wedding cupcakes. i've done some and they were wonderful. There is a website called Cake Journal that i recently found that shows you how to make your own cupcake stand. I think they are adorable and i plan to use the next time i have a cupcake wedding. Just thought you might enjoy this info. Here's the link http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-cake-stand-for-cupcakes-or-mini-cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These beautiful cupcake wrappers are perfect for wedding cupcakes!

    http://www.nanaluluslinensandhandkerchiefs.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/26855

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cupcakes are so popular these days. There is a beautiful store that sells gorgeous yummy ones in Vancouver:
    http://www.cupcakesonline.com/cupcakes.php

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Stef,
    i am currently using cupcake recipes from many websites,and they all differ in texture sure!but i wanted to know which one is the right is the hard heavy or the light and soft cupcake, or at the end is the one that i liked more.:)

    thank you stef.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon - I don't think that there is any "right" texture. I like them all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is cool. I have a passion as well. Mine is cookies. I do what I call Test Kitchen. I keep two notebooks. One for every single cookie recipe I have for a specific cookie, the other for the recipe I like the best. I then take the preferred recipe and add my won twist to it. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this blog. You've inspired me and helped me develop some ideas to work with my students. We always have restrictions on health and safety so I've adapted and diversified but thanks so much for sharing. I'll follow on Twitter just in case more ideas spark!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kitchen Couture by JasmineAugust 21, 2009 at 1:23 PM

    I love the site! Nice to see someone else that isn't a "trained" baker but has the passion for it. I love baking! I've decided to go to culinary school to learn the science behind baking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Stef, thanks so much for your comment about my fruit leather forever ago! So long ago you have probably forgotten. Though with all you had going on for Paula Deen Online and your baby I doubt you noticed!

    This blog is great, I loved reading all about the project and what you do and all of your successes and failures. So great!

    Let me know if you ever get that dehydrator, I've got a lot more recipes for fruit rolls coming soon! Thanks again and I hope you're enjoying your little newborn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hooray! My friend linked me to this site and I'm starting a cupcake project of my own. 100 uniquely flavored cupcakes (that I'm baking) photographed by the end of this semester, that's 87 days!! Yikes good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is exactly what I'm looking for!!!I'm secretly baking my friend a cake for her birthday and I knew that she loved strawberries and whipped cream. What can be better than combining the two? Thank you so much for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the blog... I am new to the cupcake world and am having fun playing with the flavors. I hope to open my own shop someday. I can't wait to read more... while I munch on my cupcake :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haven't responded to comments here for way too long. Just wanted to drop in and say how much I appreciate that you guys are enjoying the blog and taking the time to leave comments. I feel so warm and fuzzy every time I read them.

    Gillian - I'm really curious to hear what you favorite cookie recipe is. Drop me an email sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love all your ideas! Although I love mint and peanut butter, so those are flavors I enjoy!

    I just finished my first wedding last weekend, and now I want to do more! It's addicting for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome project. Who doesn't love cupcakes? Tell tell? no one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Everyone!
    I have been enjoying this site for a couple of weeks now...I am asking for everyone's help! After 30 years in corporate healthcare, I have lost my job! I have gone through and am done with the devistation of loosing a job! A friend of mine in Baltimore fell to the same fate as I. Her second life now is opening a cupcakery, which she has done and is doing well! She, with much love and encouragement has suggested I do the same. I would like to venture into home baking initially, selling at our wonderful markets around the city...My problem...the recipes I have found on the internet have turned into disasters..My buttercreams are fabulous!!! So I am half way there! If you have perfected the cupcake could share a wonderful vanilla cupcake recipe, I would be forever thankful!
    This business has to work for me..there are no options for me at this point...
    You support and prayers are greatly apreciated! I look forward to hearing from all the cupcake lovers out there!!
    Blessings To You All..
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Susan - There are tons of recipes on this blog for you to try. I sent you an email with a couple of my favorites. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heya,

    I'm going to be moving to St. Louis in January to start graduate school at WashU and I love reading your blog! It's kind of cool that you're in StL as well! I have my own blog that is still less than a year old but I'm working pretty hard on it. I'd love for you to see it: www.thesweetart.com
    and as always, I love checking out your recipes :) Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Stef! I read about your blog in a magazine while getting my hair done in Chicago! I just moved back to STL after living in Chi for 6 years. You have such a great story behind your blog, I'm excited to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Its very nice to know that there are other cupcake lovers out there. Love your website and all the great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  28. this is the best cupcake blog i have ever come across! it's BEAUTIFL! huge cupcake fans in my house with a 5 year old and a hungry sweet-toothed husband on the prowl! i'm sooo excited to try these recipes!! best of luck and contined success in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. HI stef!
    Im seventeen and have always loved baking cupcakes! I admire your blog...its adorable. i was actually looking for a good recipe and i stumbled upon your site.. and its now in my bookmarks:) its everything a cupcake blog should be! Im working on a project as we speak! I'm making a cupcake sculpture for my local fire department...as a thank you.. they don't know yet though! whats flavor cupcake would be a hit for all ages? besides the classics of chocolate ,vanilla,red velvet.. those are good..but they can kinda get boring.
    thanks! ~sarah

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi,
    I REALLY like this blog. It's my dream to be able to bake lots of cupcakes and cookies and stuff. Someday, I'll make it reality. Until then, I keep checking out your recipes. :)

    Blog award for you here: http://wp.me/p1EoaL-lJ

    ReplyDelete
  31. Cupcakes are where it's at! Love your experiments. Have you ever had any trouble taking any of your creations on a plane? TSA made quite stir with their Code Red Velvet: Cupcakes of Mass Destruction claim! http://youtu.be/iebqnpUFwQA

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love your site and all the creative recipes to explore! I had a question about the pumpkin pie icing and if it held up well. Also, have you tried any variations like adding a little confectioner's sugar to stiffen it a bit? Thanks!
    cupkate
    mycupkates.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well, I think I'm officially inspired to begin a cupcaking hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Stef,

    My girlfriend loves your site, and I am a computer coder that makes apps. I dont know, maybe you have already thought about it, but have you ever looked at compiling all of this information into an app. You would probably do really well with it. I make themes and templates for apps and I actually just made one for a product showcase and featured cupakes in the example.

    Might not be your thing, but I had to at least run it by you. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am a stay at home mom who is always baking up a storm ! I love making cupcakes and came across this site tonight, I just want to say thank you!!! I hit the mother load here lol I thought at first maybe you had made this into a book you could order and was looking all over for it but nope. Thank you for this site honestly it will keep me busy for a while! lol

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm a Venezuelan/cupcake obsessed/entepreneur :) ..I must say i'm in love with your blog..I find it very inspiring for my own project (which i'm developing, turtle speed but it's going) :) "cupcakes with personality" :) .. I marked some of your recipes for trying here at home :) i'll keep you posted.

    Thank you so much for your dedication, Stef :)

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics