Thursday, November 8, 2012

peekfrostings

Acorn Cupcakes are Not for Squirrels

Print Friendly and PDF



Get out there and start competing with your local squirrels for some acorns - you're big, you can take them.  With those acorns you can make your own acorn flour* - the star of these acorn cupcakes.  I used half all-purpose and half acorn flour in my acorn cupcakes to keep them light while still imparting the acorn flavor (a walnut-like, sweet, earthy taste). My favorite honey buttercream frosting caps the acorn cupcakes so well that I feel sorry for my squirrel opponents that buttercream doesn't grow on oak trees. 


Acorn cupcakes wouldn't be the cupcake that I would suggest for kids' birthdays or office parties.  But, I could see them becoming a yearly Thanksgiving tradition - the kids bubbling with excited energy as the first acorns begin to fall; gathering acorns for weeks to ultimately turn their acorns into cupcakes for the whole family (maybe I'm living in a black and white TV show, but I can actually see this happening).    


*I do realize that not everyone has access to acorns or time to turn them into flour.  If you can't find acorns or don't want to invest the time into homemade acorn flour, you can buy acorn flour online and you may be able to find it at a Korean grocery - it's used in some Korean dishes. 

Acorn Cupcake Recipe


Yield: 10 Cupcakes

Cupcake Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup acorn flour
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • honey buttercream frosting (see my honey buttercream frosting post for the recipe)
Cupcake Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix honey and melted butter.
  3. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
  4. Stir in sour cream and vanilla.
  5. In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together acorn flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  6. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the honey mixture until fully combined.
  7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out dry.
  9. Spread or pipe honey buttercream frosting onto cooled cupcakes
Shout Outs

6 comments:

  1. Ohhh Great. I liked.

    Thanks

    Murat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of acorn flour - I'm going to have to find it, because now I'm really curious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is seems healthy and good for kids.I have never seen it before. But now i will atleast try it once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for displaying toppers from Creating Your Memories on your blog! Your blog post looks great, as does the rest of your blog! I have been having a great time poking around.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics