Thursday, July 29, 2010

peekfrostings

Savory Cupcakes - Fig, Goat Cheese, and Onion

Print Friendly and PDF


Have you ever thought you were going to drink Sprite, only to find that your server had mistakenly refilled your glass with water?  While water can be satisfying, if caught unaware, the sip can be strange and unnerving.  Likewise, when you hand someone a savory cupcake, you have to warn them to not expect a sugar rush (although with my savory cupcakes, the onion on the top should be a bit of an indicator).  Once savory cupcake tasters have clear expectations, they can settle in and enjoy a unique culinary experience.



My friend Danielle best described these fig, goat cheese, and grilled onion savory cupcakes as follows:
It tastes like dinner.  You know how after you've had a good meal, you are left with a sweet satisfied feeling in your mouth?  That's this cupcake.

The cupcakes were dense and biscuit-like, and while I chose to top them with a light spread of fig and goat cheese frosting, they would also be well received served naked (the cupcakes - not you) during a cocktail party.



Giveaway News

If it's not already clear to you, the savory cupcakes with fig, goat cheese, and onion were inspired by my Flavor Bible giveaway.  Readers weighed in with their favorite flavor combinations.  There were so many great entries, but I was most excited about entry number 38.  Congrats, Anonymous, you've won!


I also promised that I would randomly select a winner.  The random winner is:

I love the idea of anise and orange.  I may have to try it soon!

Now, on to the recipe.

Fig, Goat Cheese, and Onion Cupcake Recipe


Yield: 12 cupcakes
  • 2 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/4 C grilled onions
  • 1/4 C unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 C fig spread
  • 1/2 C goat cheese
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda and set aside.
  3. In a blender, liquefy eggs, sugar, grilled onions, butter, fig spread, and goat cheese.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just integrated.
  5. Divide batter evenly between twelve cupcake liners.
  6. Bake for twenty-five minutes or until the tops bounce back when lightly touched.
Goat Cheese and Fig Frosting Recipe

  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 C goat cheese
  • 3/4 C powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp fig spread
  • Grilled onions (optional)
  1. Mix the butter and goat cheese until creamy.
  2. Mix in the powdered sugar until incorporated.
  3. Mix in the fig spread.
  4. Spread on cupcakes.
  5. Optionally, top with grilled onions.

11 comments:

  1. Clever! These would make a very interesting conversation starter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so unique! perfect for a party spread. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, when I saw the title of this post, I was a little freaked out, but I decided to read it anyway. However, the more I read, the more I was turned on to the idea... I love goat cheese, I love figs, I love onions. Why would I miss out on a dish combining all three? I went from freaked out to bookmarking this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the perfect savory cupcake :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a VERY interesting cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That sounds really interesting the only problem is I need to find figs.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. They sound very interesting...I'd give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a great idea for a one bite appetizer. Savory cupcakes who would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These were delicious and totally pranced over the line of what I thought a cupcake could be. I used them as part of dinner this evening. They were perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cupcakes smelled so much like biscuits right out of the oven that it was difficult to resist gobbling them up immediately, but I persevered, and they made excellent dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics