Thursday, May 6, 2010

peekfrostings

Jasmine Cupcakes with Raspberry and Honey

Print Friendly and PDF

The smell of these jasmine cupcakes greets you first - somewhat formally. You feel like giving them a small bow.  Instead, you inhale deeply and are transported to an intimate tea house on a carefree day.  Your first bite begins with the jasmine flavor that you were smelling.  Only after the bite is swallowed do you start to notice the slight hint of raspberry and sweet honey.  You go in for a second bite and continue nibbling at the slow pace that the tea demands until the cupcake is gone and you are left only with a memory and a desire to revisit the tea house tomorrow.

I make cupcakes with high swirls of whipped cream, buttercream, and meringue.  But, this Jasmine cupcake with a small spread of honey cream cheese and some fresh raspberries (it would have been better if they were in season and from a farmers' market, but what can you do?) is my kind of cupcake.  It's the first cupcake in a while that I didn't want to share.  I reluctantly gave my last jasmine cupcake to my mother-in-law, salivating as I watched her take a bite.  And... she didn't like it?!  I couldn't believe it!  I was able to work through the shock, though, as I got to consume the remainder of her cupcake!! 

Jasmine Cupcake Recipe

Yield: 12 Cupcakes
  • 3/4 C jasmine tea-infused butter (see my post on how to make tea-infused butter)
  • 3/4 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C raspberry vinegar (if you can't find raspberry vinegar, any kind of fruit-flavored vinegar would work)
  • 1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda

  1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
  3. Mix in vinegar.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda.
  5. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, until just combined.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched lightly.
Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
  •  1/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 T honey
  1. Mix all ingredients until creamy.
  2. Spread on cupcakes. (If you have any extra, this is quite good as a spread on bread.)

20 comments:

  1. Why vinegar? I've seen vinegar used in cupcake recipes before but never understood why it's used....I'd appreciate some enlightenment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, those sound absolutely delicious. I have never made a cupcake like this and am definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to make a baker out of me yet. These sound wonderful! I am definitely going to have to try this recipe! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the infused butter idea, it's so cool!

    Have a wonderful Mother's Day on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon - Check out this post at Baking Bites. It explains it really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. woahh! Now, I have a cup cakes for my son's birthday =)) I never regret searching on net, asking what I'll do on birthdays.


    Thank you very much for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for getting back to me about the vingegar...a very interesting concept! Can't wait to try these out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a huge batch of your honey cream cheese frosting in my KitchenAid stand mixer and I have been using it as a spread on my bagels. I really want to revamp the recipe using ginger and honey. I could probably just grate some in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot WAIT to try these. I have made masala chai cupcakes before but the use of jasmine and infusing the butter is genius! I will try these this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried this recipe as a double-layered cake this weekend. I wish I could say I really loved it, but I think the vinegar ruined it. Couldn't taste the Jasmine flavor at all, b/c the vinegar over-powered the cake. It was an acidic, unpleasant after-taste. Everyone said they really liked it, but I was completely dissatisfied. Should there be more baking soda to counter-balance the vinegar a little more? Should I have steeped the tea leaves a little longer? These are questions I'm not sure I'll ever get to the bottom of. A lot of tea recipes seem to have the baker use boiling water to get the flavor instead of butter. Might be trying one of those next time. The cream cheese/honey filling was wonderful.

    I also tried the whipped vanilla-bean icing recipe from this site, and it was to die for--incredible! Am SO psyched about the vanilla-bean paste. Will definitely be using that one again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon - I couldn't taste the vinegar at all! Did you use a flavored vinegar like raspberry? Also, the jasmine flavor was so strong! Maybe your tea wasn't that strong? Sorry it didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I found it at Whole Foods in the vinegar section. I looked at the bottle the day after, just to make sure I didn't use something crazy and sure enough the label read 'raspberry vinegar'.

    I think the Jasmine I used may have been a lighter variety... white Jasmine, if I recall. There are a lot of choices out there when it comes to Jasmine tea, apparently.

    There's a part of me who wants to try again, to see if I can get it right this time and then there's another part of me who just wants to stick with tried and true recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon - I totally understand if you don't want to make it again. But, if you do, please let know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had the same problem as anonymous- I could taste the jasmine, but the vinegar was still a bit overpowering and made the cupcakes pretty sour.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anna - Sorry to hear. I'll have to make them again sometime and see what's going on. Mine weren't at all sour. I wonder if different brands of raspberry vinegar are stronger than others?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the raspberry flavor was just a lot stronger than I expected, & the cupcakes didn't turn out quite as light & sweet as I'd thought they would. Next time, I might try a different fruit flavor- maybe that'll turn out better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Jasmine Cupcakes with Raspberry and Honey......sounds too much delicious. I cant wait. Please give me more information about it.

    Leanspa

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like to thanks for this wonderful post,i think I am glad to read your post its really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love applesauce cake but hadn't had it in years. When I was growing up, we had a wonderful couple who lived with us. They became really part of our family. The wife, Sally, took care of me and my brother and sister and cooked, cleaned, ironed...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Made jasmine tea infused butter last night for using in cupcakes. I'm interested to see how it tastes with the frosting on top. I didn't have any raspberry vinegar, so I put in less sugar and added some Buderim Ginger Refresher cordial (http://www.buderimginger.com/home/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=23). So now I have jasmine and ginger cupcakes with honey cream cheese frosting! I also used wholemeal flour instead.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics