Tuesday, April 13, 2010

peekfrostings

Carrot Cake Cupcakes - Unforgettably Moist

Print Friendly and PDF


The carrot flavor shines in these unforgettably moist carrot cake cupcakes - but the coconut, pineapple, currants, and a surprising cardamom finish makes this classic American dessert taste just a bit exotic. These carrot cake cupcakes are the best carrot cake cupcakes (or carrot cake) that I've ever had and I hope you'll feel the same way.

The Back Story

Two readers (Stephanie and Erin) recently asked me if I had a good carrot cake cupcake recipe.  I didn't!  I made carrot cupcakes with orange a long time ago (3 years!) and while I liked them, the orange was far more dominant than the carrot. I set out to find a killer carrot cake cupcake.

To find the best carrot cake cupcake out there, I first turned to my Twitter friends - and they came through!  The carrot cake cupcake recipe that most appealed to me was from Laureen at Eat and Be Happy (if you read her description of it, you'll want it immediately, too!).  I based my carrot cake cupcakes on hers, but (of course) I made some changes; I used coconut oil to kick up the coconut flavor, currants instead of raisins, and added cardamom to both the cake and the frosting.  Here's my adaptation of her recipe:

Carrot Cake Cupcake Recipe



Yield: 12 cupcakes

  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 3/4 t baking soda
  • 1 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t ground cardamom
  • 1 C finely chopped carrot (about 1 large carrot) - It's easiest to do this in a food processor. If you use organic carrots and scrub them well, you don't even have to peel them first.
  • 1 C (200 g) crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1 C dessicated coconut 
  • 3 handfuls of currants (You could use raisins instead if you prefer.  You could also add a half cup of any kind of nut.)
  • 1/4 C coconut oil
  • 1/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 C flour
  1. In a large bowl, combine everything but flour, eggs, oil, and butter. 
  2. Add oil and butter and stir vigorously to combine. 
  3. Add eggs in one at a time, combining well after each addition. 
  4. Add flour in 2 batches, mixing until just combined.
  5. Divide evenly among cupcake liners.
  6. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.
Cardamom Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3 C powdered sugar
  • 2 t ground cardamom
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  1. Mix cream cheese and butter until creamy and light.
  2. Mix in powdered sugar one cup at a time. You can add more or less to get your desired consistency.
  3. Mix in cardamom and vanilla until fully integrated.
  4. Pipe or slather onto your cupcakes.
Candied Carrot Toppers

Check out my post on candied carrot toppers to learn how to make the topper for these cupcakes. Wait until just before serving to add the toppers - otherwise, they will get soggy.

Alternate Recipe

For an alternate carrot cupcake recipe, my Twitter friend Garrick suggests a carrot cake cupcake recipe using baby food.  I haven't tried it, but you may want to check it out.


UPDATE: My bloggy friend, Little Ivy, left me a comment saying that she had made carrot cupcakes with candied carrot curls on top. I went to leave her a comment (something to the effect of how I couldn't believe I had missed that post) and I saw that I had already left a comment in 2007!  So, it looks like my subconscious might have stolen her idea and not given her due credit.  Go check out her carrot cupcake post and all of her other wonderful creations.  

28 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful Stef!
    I did something similiar a couple years ago...

    http://littleivycakes.blogspot.com/search/label/Mascarpone

    Hope you're doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing- adding cardamons such a fantastic idea! I'm thrilled you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, Yours are way more refined. PLEASSSE don't link to me!
    I didn't even notice that you commented before-that's so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you find coconut oil? I've been looking for it for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely! I love the carrot strip on the top of the icing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrot Cake is my dad's favorite, and I was looking for a moist recipe to make him for his May birthday! I'm excited to try ur recipe!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Polly - I found it at Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great recipe! I was wondering if anyone knows where to find pistastio oil?

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  9. i made these yesterday and they were AWESOME! thanks for the great recipe!
    -jersey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these today with whole wheat flour, they were still so moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it possible to use the store bought shredded coconut instead? I won't have time to do the process myself. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Niyousha - Yes, that's no problem at all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is the coconut oil solid or liquid form for 1/4 of cup? thanks! Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't see an answer - So is the coconut oil in solid or liquid form when you combine? You said stir - So I'm assuming the butter and coconut oil is in liquid form? Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anon - Oops, sorry for not getting back to you. It's in liquid form.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can I ask a silly question - I've just found you through google and want to make these for miss 4's first day at Kindergarten. What does the T stand for? Teaspoon or Tablespoon!?! (I'm in Australia so maybe you only use one of these measurements lol but its enough to have me scratching my head!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anon - Sorry for the confusion. t is for teaspoon and T is for tablespoon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made these yesterday, and they are a huge hit! I had to make the carrot toppers three times before I got it right: the best baking time for the first baking was only 7 minutes. I Saved this recipe to ZipList, but I've tried many of your recipes, and they are always eagerly devoured by friends and family. You are so creative. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love carrot cupcakes, and have made quite a few. I posted my absolute favorite:
    http://trialbyfirewin.blogspot.com/2012/01/24-karrot-gold-cupcakes.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. For a dairy free version, do you think you could just double the coconut oil?

    ReplyDelete
  22. You had me at 'unforgettably moist'. Printing off the recipe to try at home now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. C stands for cup?I got confused :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made these the other day (with my own little tweaks)and they are AH-MAZING. I had 3 people tell me it was the best carrot cake they've ever had, and I pretty much had to agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Made these tonight for my husbands birthday, I left out the cardamom because I didn't have any and a jar at the grocery store was $12 bucks. The way it is mixed together is unusual, but man were these good! This will be my go to carrot cake cupcake recipe! Easy and really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I made these last night to bring to work today (cause I'm nice like that) and people are RAVING! I cut down on the cardamom, which I personally love, just in case people weren't fans, and cut some of the sugar in the frosting. Did I mention people are raving? The only other thing I did differently was I mixed all of the dry ingredients together first (other than the sugar), and then added them at the end when the recipe indicated to add the flour. I'm wondering how the recipe differs by adding the other dry ingredients (baking soda, etc.) at the beginning? Thanks for your tips and a wonderful recipe that I will be using again and again!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics