Tuesday, October 20, 2009

peekfrostings

Do You Live in A Divided Home? Make Vanilla and Chocolate Cupcakes at the Same Time

Print Friendly and PDF

Some families are all about chocolate cupcakes, some are all about vanilla, but some families are mixed-flavor homes. What are these divided homes to do?

a) Make the flavor that the baker likes best.
b) Rotate and make vanilla half the time and chocolate the other half.
c) Never make vanilla or chocolate and instead make pumpkin cupcakes every day.
d) Make vanilla and chocolate cupcakes at the same time, using the same recipe!


Answer: D

I used a sour cream cupcake recipe to make both vanilla and chocolate cupcakes. Both cupcakes had what I would consider a classic cupcake consistency (light and fluffy, not very dense). The vanilla had a vibrant vanilla flavor and the chocolate had a mild but satisfying cocoa flavor - you could make them more chocolaty with the addition of chocolate chips.

To make two recipes out of one, you simply prepare the batter for the vanilla cupcakes. Then, fill half of the cupcake liners. Next, add chocolate to the remaining batter and fill the other half of the cupcake liners. Bake and make everyone happy!

Vanilla and Chocolate Cupcake Recipe

To make these vanilla and chocolate cupcakes, I used a vanilla sour cream cupcake recipe from Seriously Simple Holidays by Diane Rossen Worthington. I am including the recipe below along with my modifications to make both vanilla and chocolate cupcakes.

Makes 6 vanilla and 6 chocolate cupcakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 C flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 t vanilla extract
  • 1/2 C sour cream
  • 2 oz bittersweet chocolate
  1. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and creamy.
  3. Add the butter and vanilla and beat on low speed for about 1 minute, or until well blended.
  4. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until blended.
  5. Add the sour cream and beat until smooth and well blended.
  6. Fill 6 cupcake liners about halfway full.
  7. Melt the chocolate (either using a double boiler or in the microwave).
  8. Mix the chocolate into the remaining batter.
  9. Fill the remaining 6 cupcake liners with the chocolate batter.
  10. Bake at 350 F for about 23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean and the tops are firm.
Sour Cream Frosting

While you can top these cupcakes with any frosting, you might want to try a sour cream frosting.  The sour cream adds a nice tang to a sweet buttercream.

15 comments:

  1. haha! A divided home, that made me laugh out loud :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually found your site via Paula Dean site, and am excited to see that you are a local girl! Love the site. Plan to link you, if you don't mind, and make your carmel apple cupcakes for my kiddies =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like compromises...especially if they are chocolate and vanilla. Cool idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. That sure makes it easy to satisfy both camps without spending all day baking.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible idea. This will work wonders in my home since I prefer vanilla and my husband likes chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love option c. Luckily for me my husband likes "boring, normal" cupcakes (either vanilla OR chocolate), and he gets annoyed when I start making gingerbread or red velvet cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tricky, tricky! I wonder how many different cupcakes could be made out of one batter that "started" as vanilla... I might have to challenge myself soon. :)

    You're blog is so inspiring!

    P.S. Congrats on the Paula gig. The first post is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Lindsay. The correct answer is C! Yeah Pumpkin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this as a cake, and added half-vanilla half-orange extract and some ginger, and served it with sweetened sour-cream-flavored whipped cream. It baked for maybe 35-40 minutes in a copper pan. Needless to say: Very, very, good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i recently saw a cupcake recipe that used greek yogurt. I bet that would work here too as a sub for the sourcream. Guess i better try both and find out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried this recipe almost as-is,(I used reduced fat sour cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips) and they came out awesome! I ended up with 14 cupcakes though and my cup liners were a little over-full at that. Anyway, they look just like the pictures (a first for me) and they taste great! Thanks for a great recipe. One question: When I make cupcakes from scratch, the tops harden a bit as the cupcakes cool. This doesn't happen when I do a boxed mix. I personally like it b/c you get a nice sweet little crunch when you bite in to them but I worry other people will think it means something is wrong with them. I am wondering if this is an indicator that something I am doing needs to be adjusted? Or is this normal for homemade cupcakes to have a bit of a crunch in the top?

    ReplyDelete
  12. LBL - I often switch up Greek yogurt and sour cream. It works great. As for the tops, I can't imagine that people would think there was something wrong. I think it more depends on the recipe. Some will do that and some won't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Stef! I loveee your blog! You have done an awesome job! I am a true follower of yor blog lol!

    I just had one question, would you suggest using Cake Flour or All-Purpose flour? Does it matter?

    Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does matter and different recipes call for different flour types. If the recipe just says flour, use all-purpose flour.

      Delete
  14. Stef,
    Another great recipe! I use it to make Neopolitan cupcakes: half vanilla, half chocolate (side by side in one liner), and then top it with strawberry frosting. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics