Wednesday, October 28, 2009

peekfrostings

Chocolate Pumpkin Witch Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF

Remember back in 2007 when I made witch cupcakes? Didn't think so. Well, I made them again this year, only better:
  • Last time, I made a plain chocolate cupcake. This time, I made chocolate pumpkin cupcakes loaded with chocolate chips.
  • Last time, I made a funky green meringue frosting. This time, I made a seasonally-spiced buttercream frosting (I still used a little bit of green food coloring on some of them to make them more witchy).
  • Last time, I used giant pretzel rods for the broomsticks. This time, I realized (after someone pointed it out) that small pretzel sticks would work much better. I left the chocolate off of the broomsticks this year, though, because I was lazy.
For the cookie recipe and assembly instructions, refer to the 2007 post. But, for the new scrumpdidelyicious chocolate pumpkin cupcake recipe, look at the bottom of this post.

First, however, let's see what Bride and Groom 3.0 and roommate Davin thought of the chocolate pumpkin cupcakes. (Note: this video was made before viewing all of your video feedback. There is just one more pre-feedback video after this one, and then they will address your comments. Feel free to keep leaving comments on the videos and they will try to incorporate them whenever possible.)



I should point out that the cookies that they loved (on that hats) are maple or mint cookies. They are store-bought vanilla wafers that I coated in chocolate. I would normally make the wafers myself, but these cupcakes were made in a cupcake class that I taught and we needed to save time.

Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcake Recipe

This recipe should yield about fifteen cupcakes.
  • 1 1/2 C flour
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t ginger
  • 1/2 t nutmeg
  • 1/2 t allspice
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 1/2 C sugar
  • 3/4 C pumpkin puree
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 C vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C orange juice
  • 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
  • 1 1/4 C semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, and salt.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, pumpkin, and eggs. Beat until smooth.
  3. Mix in the oil, orange juice, and melted chocolate.
  4. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
  5. Mix in the chocolate chips.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Frosting
  • 1 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3 C powdered sugar, sifted
  • 4 t vanilla bean paste
  • 2 T milk or heavy whipping cream
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t ginger
  • 1/2 t nutmeg
  • 1/2 t allspice
  • Food coloring (optional)
  1. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Mix in vanilla and milk or cream.
  3. Mix in spices.
  4. Optionally, mix in food coloring to create the color you’d like.

8 comments:

  1. They look amazing. I made Halloween cut-outs this year (already only a few left - that 'make all the cookie dough and freeze half for another time' thing is such bad advice. Why only make half the cookies?). They were nice. But I like your cookies on the top of a cupcake idea. Might use them as toppers next year!

    I am also glad it's not just me going into Halloween overload - graham crackers, and three kinds of Halloween cupcakes at last count. You take the (cup)cake! :)

    (Love love love your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my chestnuts!

    (I have just realised how that sounds...)

    May I also request pirate hats for the reviewers by the way? Until recently I had a killer one, but in my recent move, it ended up in the charity bag. Shame. Could've Fed-Ex'd it right over! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to try these! They sound delicious. Although anything that incorporates pumpkin get's a 5 in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. on the video: hahah they are so ridiculous :) i love the project runway references and the chomping sounds. this video was funner to watch (might also have to do with only trying 1 cupcake rather than several cupcake combos)... im a little confused about the fireworks system though. is the goal to have bride and groom 3.0 agree on a 5 firework cupcake? are they taking the highest ranked cupcakes (after averaging the scores)?

    on the cupcakes: they sounded delicious before i watched the video. now im craving one even more. and i dont even like chocolate

    i love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea in ways that you don't even know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, lady, these are the best cupcakes i have ever made -- and my husband, who loves neither chocolate nor pumpkin (nor cupcakes, for that matter) as much as i do wholeheartedly agrees! I made a pumpkin buttercream frosting and topped them with chopped pecans, but i think in the future i might go with a pumpkin cheesecake frosting to give it a little more depth. But OMG so good. Every day this week i have spent the afternoon looking forward to leftover cupcakes for dessert :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these over the weekend! Although i used your pumpkin cheescake frosting. They were absolutely delicious. My family and friends loved them. I think next time i will use more pumpkin though!!
    I decorated them with halloween stencils using sprinkles. So cute! this was a perfect fall cupcake! Thanks Rachel Davidson

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these over the weekend on your recommendation, and they are amazing! I brought them to a choir pudding party, and I didn't tell people what they were eating (just in case they got scared off!) and they loved them. My flatmate told me off for making things that were too addictive :) Thanks for the recipe and suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics