Monday, July 27, 2009

peekfrostings

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Basil

Print Friendly and PDF

Vegan chocolate cupcakes can easily rival any non-vegan counterpart. These vegan chocolate cupcakes are light and bouncy like Hostess cupcakes - but leagues better. The best part of the vegan chocolate cupcakes was how well they domed. As my friend NZ Cupcake Queen (author of The Cupcake Project - not to be confused with this blog, Cupcake Project) says:

Feeling that a vegan chocolate cupcake (delectable or not) was uninteresting, I decided to make it a chocolate basil cupcake. Basil tastes strikingly similar to mint - so much so that my tasters said they would have confused these cupcakes for chocolate mint cupcakes if I didn't tell them otherwise (or if they weren't topped with basil leaves). However, the basil was different enough from mint for me to like it - I'm not a fan of mint.


I used basil grown in our own home garden, and I'm proud to enter this cupcake into this month's Grow Your Own roundup hosted by Amy of Playing House.


I love how the event logo looks just like the basil leaves on my cupcakes!

Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Basil Recipe

I found the recipe for vegan chocolate cupcakes on Kylie's blog, The Baking Bird. She got the recipe from the cookbook La Dolce Vegan!. Below is a reprinting of the recipe adapted to cupcakes with the addition of basil.

Makes about 20 cupcakes
  • 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 1/2 C flour
  • 1 3/4 C sugar
  • 1 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1 C fresh basil leaves, packed firmly
  • 1/2 cup soft or silken tofu
  • 1 C soy milk
  • 1 T apple cider vinegar
  • 1 T vanilla extract
  • 1/2 C oil
  • 1/2 C water
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
  2. In a food processor, chop basil finely.
  3. Add the tofu, soy milk, vinegar, vanilla, and oil to the food processor and process until smooth.
  4. Pour contents of the food processor into the bowl with the dry ingredients.
  5. Add the water.
  6. Stir together until fully combined.
  7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  8. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when touched.
The Frosting

I frosted the vegan chocolate cupcakes with vegan chocolate ganache.

15 comments:

  1. What an interesting combo, they look beautiful! I love the contrast of the brown with the green garnish... very unexpected on a cupcake. Thanks for participating in Grow Your Own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw basil ice cream the other day and was really excited about the idea! I've been thinking about what other desserts it could be added to, and I'm going to have to try the chocolate-basil combination. Your cupcakes look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Amy. These cupcakes are beautiful. I bet they'd be great with sweet basil ice cream. I can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I will say Ive not used basil in baking sweets, let alone cupcakes. I am so intrigued now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these cupcakes are beautiful. i'm intrigued. i really wanna taste em to compare em to chocolate mint ones..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious - thank you for the recipe! I just have one question - is there anything we can replace teh Tofu with? My stomach doesn't agree with tofu...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very innovative use of your homegrown basil! I will have to give this a try sometime. Thanks for sharing your post with Grow Your Own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always happy to see bakes that can be done without eggs and still turn out so good.
    I'll definitely be making them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just made these, and they really did dome *beautifully* and my house smells heavenly. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never eat this flavor,I think the making of Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Basil is really very hard..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just made these and am so happy i did! They look beautiful and you are right about that 'hmmm. maybe its mint' taste. I made a quick little chocolate soy milk and powdered sugar drizzle and they were good to go!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful recipe! I just made them and they are easy to make, fluffy and the touch and delicious to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just tried this recipe with mint and it worked wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just made these with no revisions to the recipe and they have great flavor. You can really taste the basil. I can imagine substituting mint and having them be amazing as well.

    I couldn't get over the texture of these, moist perfect cupcakes. I didn't expect it from a vegan recipe!!

    I also made the frosting but I am going to put such a small amount on. These can definitely hold there own!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've just made a batch of these, with a few revisions, and everyone has loved them! You can't taste the tofu and the cupcake has such a wonderful chocolately dense texture-it really is almost a brownie! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics