Wednesday, May 13, 2009

peekfrostings

Maple Cinnamon Peach Ice Cream Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF

There is a lot going on with these cupcakes, so let's start with a description. These are maple cinnamon cupcakes with baked peaches. The cupcakes were then cut in half to create a cupcake sandwich with homemade maple ice cream in the middle. The top half was frosted with peach whipped cream and then sprinkled with maple sugar.

Every messy forkful of this cupcake was so mmm mmm good that it had me questioning whether it was my drool I saw on the plate or whether it was some melty ice cream. These cupcakes were stellar, and if I could enter my own Ice Cream Cupcake Roundup, they would surely be my entry!

What Did My Friends Think?

I served these cupcakes to a bunch of friends and here were some of the comments:
  • "These are my favorite cupcakes yet! My second favorite were the plum cupcakes."
  • "These are the best maple flavored anything I have ever had!" This, of course, prompted the question as to what her favorite was before this. The answer: "McGriddles at McDonalds." All I can say is at least I wasn't beaten out by Mickey D's - I would not have been happy.
  • "Love the maple flavor in the ice cream. It goes really well with the dense cupcake."
Maple Cinnamon Peach Cupcake Recipe

The maple cinnamon peach cupcake recipe is a Cupcake Project original. It's yummy even without the ice cream, as shown above.

Makes about 16 cupcakes
  • 2 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 2 t cinnamon
  • 3/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/3 C maple sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 C whole milk
  • 3 T maple syrup (the real stuff)
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1/2 t maple extract
  • 15 oz peaches, chopped finely
  1. With a fork, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a bowl.
  2. Beat butter and maple sugar in a large bowl for 1 minute until light and fluffy.
  3. Beat in eggs, milk, maple syrup, and extracts until blended.
  4. Mix in flour mixture.
  5. Fold in peaches.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  7. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
Cupcake Assembly

To assemble your ice cream cupcakes:
  1. Cut the cooled cupcake in half. (You can probably cut the cupcake in a straighter line than I. I tended to go kinda crooked.)
  2. Frost the top half with peach whipped cream. (I found it easier to frost after cutting, rather than trying to cut the frosted cupcake.)
  3. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
  4. When you are ready to serve, stick a small scoop of maple ice cream between the two halves of the cupcake and sprinkle some maple sugar all over!
Reminders
  1. You have until the end of May to create your own ice cream cupcake and enter the Ice Cream Cupcake Roundup.
  2. You also have until the end of May to vote for my black bottom cupcakes with goat cheese in the Ile de France recipe contest - while this task doesn't help you in anyway, I would be most grateful! Thanks!

15 comments:

  1. You "concoct" the most amazing Cupcakes, Steff. These may just be my favorite too!!! I wonder how they would fare with a glass of Bellini???

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never disappoint. This looks great. I logged in a vote today. Hope you win. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, even though you can't enter your ice cream cupcake, you sure have set the bar high. I would be nervous to compete against you.

    What an amazing creation. You have so much talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. finally, the pay-off! you've been building up to this and it's spectacular! i love every component--bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing. Heading up north this weekend so will get some more maple syrup right from the Canadian source. You may consider this absolute butchering but I though I'd offer you my version of your recipe using my whole foods substitutions.

    2 C gluten-free flour (1 cup buckwheat, 1 cup sorghum or brown rice)
    1 1/2 t baking powder
    1/2 t baking soda
    2 t cinnamon
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/4 cup apple sauce
    1 C maple sugar or succanut
    2 eggs
    2/3 C almond or sesame milk
    3 T maple syrup (the real stuff)
    t vanilla extract
    1/2 t maple extract
    15 oz peaches, chopped finely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meghan - I love your revised recipe. Don't find it to be butchering at all! In fact, I'd love to try it! I may have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry that I've been an absent commenter; I just finished up my law school exams and am finally getting around to my google reader. This treat looks fabulous! I love the pairing of the ice cream with the maple cupcake. How totally wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like heaven in a cupcake wrapper! <333

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so going to try this out! This looks totally amazing! Can anyone take part in this cupcake project? I would love to given the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cherie - Anyone can participate in the ice cream cupcake roundup. I'd love it if you did! Let me know if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look incredible!! What a fun and unique blend - Another keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many fun tastes in one cupcake. What a beautiful creation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 12:05:27 PM suchalibertine: omg
    12:05:27 PM suchalibertine: lol
    12:05:45 PM suchalibertine: cinnamon peach ice cream cupcakes
    12:05:47 PM suchalibertine: wowza'
    12:06:01 PM Tiffany! Van: dude
    12:06:01 PM Tiffany! Van: HWERE
    12:06:02 PM Tiffany! Van: WHERE
    12:06:03 PM Tiffany! Van: WHERE

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, even though you can't enter your ice cream cupcake, you sure have set the bar high. I would be nervous to compete against you.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics