Tuesday, May 19, 2009

peekfrostings

Honey Cupcakes Baked in Ham

Print Friendly and PDF


As far as I know, this is the first cupcake recipe baked in ham ever developed.  I baked a honey cake inside of a piece of ham to recreate a flavor of honeyed ham. With so many cupcakes out there now featuring bacon (see my beer cupcakes with bacon cheddar frosting, French Toast bacon cupcakes from The Busty Baker, and Cakespy's ode to bacon cupcakes as evidence), I figured, "Why not salute a different part of the pig?"!



What surprised people the most about the cupcakes in ham was that the ham flavor was not strong - some even said they couldn't taste it. The ham acts as an edible, environmentally friendly (depending on where your ham comes from) cupcake liner. If anything, it adds a salty flavor to each bite, which gives a zen sweet and salty effect.



The best cupcake bites are the ones with all of the components - pineapple, frosting, ham, and cake.  So, don't be shy; primally tear through both the ham and pineapple to achieve cupcake nirvana.


 Honey Cupcake Baked in Ham Recipe

Update 12/14/11:  You can't go wrong with the honey cake recipe in this post, but I'd recommend my latest honey cake recipe (it's found at the bottom of the linked post). It's my new favorite!

I got the recipe for the honey cake by modifying a honey cake recipe that I found on Smitten Kitchen. Deb of Smitten Kitchen got the recipe from the book A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking by Marcy Goldman. I'm sure Marcy would never have envisioned her holiday honey cake being bastardized into these ham-cradled treats, but once you create something, it's out there for people to do with as they please.

Makes 17-20 cupcakes (If you aren't baking in ham, this recipe would produce fewer cupcakes.)
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup whiskey
  • 17-20 thinly sliced pieces of ham (I used Black Forest ham, which has those nice looking black edges.)
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice.
  2. Add oil, honey, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, juice, and whiskey. If you use the same measuring cup and you measure your oil before the honey, it will be easier to get all of the honey out of the cup.
  3. Using a strong wire whisk or in an electric mixer on slow speed, stir together to make a thick, well-blended batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom.
  4. Place one slice of ham in each well of the cupcake tin. Try to make sure that the part on the bottom and sides of the pan has no holes in it. I found that most of the slices of ham I bought had holes, so I just ensured that the holes were positioned toward the top of the cupcake tin.
  5. Spoon batter into the ham, as shown in the photo above.
  6. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If you put this recipe into a normal cupcake liner sans ham, it will bake in about 20 minutes.
A Few Pictures of The Cupcakes Just Out of the Oven

I loved how nicely the ham crisped up. I wasn't sure how well it would support the cake, but it worked splendidly.

Each cupcake had its own personality:


The Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting


I topped the cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. I've made this frosting recipe many times. It's a keeper! These cupcakes would also work well with a brown sugar penuche frosting.

The Topper

Of course, I topped my cupcakes with candied pineapple. Rather than just sitting on top of the cupcake, when eaten the next day, the flavor from the candied pineapple seeped into the whole cupcake and pulled it all together!

Credit



My idea of baking something in ham was not original. I got the idea for the crispy ham shells from my Taste and Create partner this month, Min at The Bad Girl's Kitchen. Min made baked eggs and mushrooms in ham crisps.  When I saw the ham crisps that looked exactly like cupcake liners, I just about squealed with joy!

33 comments:

  1. Saw your tweet about a honey baked ham cupcake and HAD to come see what it was about - amazing! I wish I was that imaginative with baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stef,
    Your creativity amazes me. I don't know that I'll ever make these, but I'm sure the brown sugar frosting would be fabulous.
    Wow.
    Min

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! If only the ham has bacon, though. I wonder if you could wrap the cupcakes in bacon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first, I was horrified. But then I thought about how tasty the bacon cupcakes were that I made a while back. And then I remembered how mouth-watering the candied pineapple looked. And I remembered that I have been wanting to make a honey cake for months.

    So... I think I might be converted. :) What a fun twist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what the heck?!?! this is either the coolest or the wackiest thing i've ever seen. either way i'm kind of impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! That's like Christmas, Easter or New Year's all rolled into a cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bacon and sweets thing hasn't appealed to me too much, but ham and honey cake sounds like something I could get behind. And anything resembling candied or dried pineapple is winner with me (I use to choose candied pineapple over chocolates as a child)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What an ingenious idea! I love how you used the ham slices as a cupcake wrapper. I'm not whole hog on the bacon cupcake wagon but I'd definitely love to have tried one of these for the novelty (and fun) of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know that I already told you this on twitter but I love this. It's so cool and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW - you never cease to amaze me. You are one creative girl. These cupcakes looks outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Possibly the prettiest cupcakes ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are hilarious! These are amazing and you need to publish a book of all your amazing cupcakes.
    Some may read it for the recipes but just in general it would be such a great entertaining coffee table book.

    You and baby have a good day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one seriously fun idea!! And great pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. All I gotta say is... you go girl!! :P Lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is me, giving you a standing ovation. wow, stef, i'm amazed, flabbergasted, and hungry. great idea and wonderful execution--i can't praise your creativity and talents enough here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow! I should not have visited your blog with my lunch break a whole 45 minutes away. These look incredible and I am now, officially, starving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do have to say, these would be an interesting brunch item!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I think you have really outdone yourself this time, and that's tough to do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These cupcakes are hysterical!! What a creative idea. Totally love it. Nope, these cupcakes don't intimidate me at all. I really want to try one!! Plus, they look super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG u have to be kidding me.... let's EAT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yet another amazing first. I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for linking my Bacon cupcakes! I have to say, these look ah-mazing. And I can now tell my boyfriend that baking the cupcake in meat actually works. And works really well. He suggested it for my cupcakes, and I mocked him relentlessly. I now stand corrected. Maybe we'll just keep this our little secret so I don't have to admit I was wrong :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great idea! These cupcakes sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll bet this would be great with cornbread instead of cake. I'm going to try it that way. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I have got to try this! I keep seeing cupcakes with bacon but this one looks even better!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am amazed at your cupcakes and this is the first recipe that I tried! So it is not the last honey ham cupcake that will ever be made! It turned out pretty well. :) Thanks for inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish I'd found this recipe when we had leftover Thanksgiving and Christmas ham...

    Just the phrase "if you're baking in ham" gave me the giggles! Will definitely bookmark this recipe for the next time we bake a ham at home and have leftovers. I make a marinade with pineapples, ground cloves and brown sugar which I imagine would lend a great flavor to the honey cake.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Tee - I bet that marinade would be fantastic in cake! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are awesome! We showed them off on our blog.

    http://cutecupcakesallthetime.blogspot.com/2010/06/wacky-wednesday_16.html

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics