Tuesday, February 3, 2009

peekfrostings

Valentine's Day Cupcakes - Root Beer Float Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF


Valentine's Day cupcakes could be any cupcake made with love for your Valentine. However, if you want an extra special Valentine's Day cupcake, I've got a few ideas that I'll be sharing in the next week to give you plenty of time to get ready to make them.

My first Valentine's Day cupcake idea for this year is the root beer float cupcake. It's the picture of romance from a simpler time.


I would strongly recommend that if you choose this cupcake, you accompany it with a cute homemade card cut out of red construction paper.

How to Make a Root Beer Float Cupcake
  1. Follow the root beer cake instructions from my post on soda fountain cupcakes.
  2. Top the cupcakes with a vanilla bean buttercream frosting.
  3. Cut two bendy straws to a size you prefer and stick them in the cupcake.
Credit and Random Norman Rockwell Facts

The Norman Rockwell painting that I doctored above is actually from an Orange Crush ad, not a root beer ad. Best Norman Rockwell Art has a fascinating discussion about Rockwell's work on the Orange Crush ads. Rockwell had a contract with Orange Crush to make 12 ads for them.

As noted on Best Norman Rockwell Art, Rockwell described his thoughts on the ads in his autobiography, My Adventures as an Illustrator:
By the time I got to the eleventh and twelfth picture I was dreaming about bottles of Orange Crush Soda Pop - long lines of them - quart size, regular size, marching down on me with all the labels distinctively readable. A stampede of bottles. I'd wake up in the middle of the night screaming, ORANGE CRUSH, ORANGE CRUSH!
I do hope that baking the Valentine's Day root beer float cupcakes will not give you nightmares.

Last Year's Valentine's Day Cupcakes

For more Valentine's Day cupcake ideas, check out the Valentine's Day cupcakes I made last year:

24 comments:

  1. Aw, this is so cute! Looks delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great project for me and Maddy for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute! i never liked root beer but for some reason i was obsessed with those root beer dum-dum lollipops. so i would probably like this cupcake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I made root beer cupcakes last summer, but I've never thought of them as a Valentine treat. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried these cupcakes when you posted them last and I can say that they are very yummy! And everyone who tried them loved them!! Thanks for reminding me of them!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a really sweet idea! I love root beer, so I might give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute cupcakes, Stef. Can't wait to see what you else you come up with for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! these sound delicious and i love the doctored vintage ad. great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! It looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh root beer floats in cupcake form? How awesome. Thanks! Love the sexy V-day cupcakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those are awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tried something like this last year, but my daughter got to them before my wife :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. too cute, stef! i'm not crazy about root beer, but i suspect that i'd really enjoy it in cupcake form, especially if straws are involved. and lots of frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look so cute. I'm a big fan of root beer floats... so I think I'll definitely love them in cupcake form!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that sounds so delicious! I adore Root Beer floats!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you! i've been planning a root beer valentines for my boyfriend for weeks and i wanted to make root beer float cupcakes for him so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't get enough of these cupcakes. They are wonderful for dessert on a summer evening after a BBQ. These cupcakes have become a staple in my reciepe book. I can't wait to try the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These were terrific! The straw coming out of the frosting really made them special too!

    I couldn't find root beer extract at any of my local stores, but a cake decorating store had root beer oil. I used 1 dram of the extract for a double recipe of the cupcakes. I also substituted real vanilla bean and vanilla extract for the vanilla paste and it had a great vanilla taste. I'll definitely make these again.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics