Friday, January 30, 2009

peekfrostings

Cranberry Orange Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF

These cranberry orange cupcakes were a complete multi-sensory experience. The moment I open the Tupperware containing the cranberry orange cupcakes, the aroma of orange fills the air and makes me feel like I'm back in the orange packing plant that I got to tour last week in California. Can I just say that an orange packing plant is such a happy smelling place to be?

As I move the cupcake closer to my mouth to take a bite, the more subtle smell of the ring of cranberry (it looks kind of like a ring of fire, but I keep resisting calling it that because that just isn't a good thing) tickles my nose. I can't help but take a quick lick before biting into the cupcake. Once I bite in, the texture of the nuts and cranberries in the cupcake provides a nice crunch sound and I struggle to not eat the whole thing in one big bite!

The Cranberry Orange Cupcake Recipe

I used Cranberry Orange Tango from Nutorious in this recipe. I'm giving some away this week and it's not too late to enter. However, if you can't get your hands on some, you can just as easily make the recipe using any chopped nuts and some dried cranberries.

makes 18-20 cupcakes
  • 2/3 C sugar
  • finely grated zest of 1 orange
  • 1 C orange juice concentrate
  • 1/2 C sugar (for the orange syrup)
  • 2 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 3/4 C butter, room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 C plain yogurt
  • 4 oz of Cranberry Orange Tango or 2 oz chopped nuts of your choice and 2 oz dried cranberries
  1. A few hours before you are ready to bake, combine the orange zest and the sugar in a bowl. This will let the orange flavor infuse into the sugar.
  2. While you are waiting, prepare an orange syrup by bringing the orange juice concentrate and sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Stir continuously until it is thoroughly combined and gets slightly thicker (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and return to room temperature.
  3. With a fork, whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
  4. Beat butter and the sugar with grated orange zest in a large bowl for 1 minute, until light and fluffy.
  5. Beat in eggs and yogurt until blended.
  6. Alternately fold in flour mixture and 2/3 cup of the orange syrup (that should be pretty much all of the syrup) in three additions, beginning and ending with flour.
  7. Fold in the Cranberry Orange Tango or nuts and dried cranberries.
  8. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  9. Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean.
Cranberry Brown Sugar Frosting Recipe

The cranberry brown sugar frosting recipe did not taste very cranberry-esque, but it was the perfect compliment to the cupcake.
  • 1/4 C jellied cranberry sauce (This is the kind that you may be subjected to on Turkey day that isn't nearly as good as the homemade stuff, but somehow works on a cupcake. You'll use up the rest of the can if you pipe the ring of cranberry like I did.)
  • 1/4 C butter
  • 3/4 C brown sugar
  • 2 T milk
  • 1 C powdered sugar, sifted
  1. In a saucepan, melt the butter.
  2. Add the cranberry sauce and brown sugar.
  3. Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium low and continue to boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  4. Add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
  5. Cool to lukewarm.
  6. Gradually add sifted powdered sugar. I would highly recommend sifting this powdered sugar. It's such a pain to sift, but it ensures that the frosting will be extra smooth.
  7. Beat until thick enough to spread. If too thick, add a little hot water.
Putting It Together

Spread the frosting onto the cupcakes and let it harden just a bit. Then, pipe a ring of cranberry sauce around the edge of the cupcake and sprinkle on some orange zest for some added color.

Other Options

If you like the idea of a cranberry orange cupcake, you may also like:

19 comments:

  1. These are some beautiful cupcakes! I love the combo of cranberry and orange, but I've only had it in muffin form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure these taste as good as they look. I wish I could have these for breakfast right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...SERIOUSLY.....My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love cranberry and orange together. Add in the fact that it's a cupcake, and I wish I was in town right now so I could stop by and try one..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowo they look beautful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are just beautiful! They also sound delicious, Cranberry orange together is very tasty....can only imagine in a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Those definitely pop! You do some great things with citrus so I'm sure they are delicious. That center shot, in partucular, looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I love the ring of cranberry sauce! I once made a cranberry orange cupcake, too - it's definitely a favorite flavor pairing of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the color on the top picture. They look like some amazing muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not only do these look beautiful, they look scrumptious. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so beautiful I just had to come take a peek. What a great flavor combo! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. perfect flavor combination. I love the crumb on this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oo my heart just fluttered! This is my absolute favorite combination of flavors. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colors alone are beautiful, but I bet the tart and sweet flavors are probably out of this world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are amazing. That cranberry color is something else. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried this recipe this weekend and it was a huge hit! Thanks so much! I changed it up a bit by increasing the cranberry sauce to 1/2 cup and adding a bit of extra powdered sugar to fluff up the icing. I couldn't pipe the rings because I had no piping bags and my sandwich baggies were cheap. But everyone loved them regardless! It was time consuming but I will make them again for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have sugar twice, no? Is it 1/2 or 2/3 cup?Thanks. Love this whole site.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anon - You need both. I added a note in the recipe to indicate that the second sugar listing is for the orange syrup. Sorry for the confusion.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics