Tuesday, August 12, 2008

peekfrostings

Jello Frosting: A Cool and Refreshing Way to Top Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF

Jello frosting is cool, refreshing, and a perfect topping for a summer cupcake!

What is Jello Frosting?

Jello frosting is just jello! I used cookie cutters to make various-sized circles of jello and placed them on the cupcake.

The Problem with Jello Frosting

There is only one small problem with jello frosting: cupcakes are best at room temperature and jello is best really cold. I ended up eating the cupcakes slightly colder than normal and the jello slightly warmer than normal - at the point where it almost got a little runny, but not quite.

Why Jello Frosting?

I had the chance to interview Janice and Liz, The Meal Makeover Moms. They take unhealthy recipes and try to remake them as something healthy that kids will still love. One of the recipes in their book, The Moms' Guide to Meal Makeovers, is for jello. I decided to do a makeover of my own and use their jello as a healthy alternative to frosting.

BTW - On Food Interviews, I am giving away 2 copies of the book!! Enter before Tuesday, August 19th.

The Jello Recipe

Sure, you could use Jell-O from a box. However, I made plum jello using fresh plums and the recipe inspired by The Moms' Guide to Meal Makeovers:
  • 1 1/2 C plum juice (I made this juice by peeling fresh, farmers' market plums, cutting them up, and blending them. It was not 100% smooth and it was somewhat thick. But, it was super yummy! I'd tell you how many plums I used, but I actually forgot to write it down. Bad, bad.)
  • 1 packet unflavored gelatin (1 T)
  • 1/2 C boiling water
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 1/8 t salt
  1. Combine the gelatin with 1/4 C cold water in a medium bowl and let soften, 3 minutes.
  2. Add the boiling water, sugar, and salt, and stir until the sugar dissolves.
  3. Add the plum juice to the gelatin mixture and stir.
  4. Pour into a 9 x 13 glass dish and chill.
  5. When cool, cut out shapes with cookie cutters. While I used circles, you could use any fun shape you like!

12 comments:

  1. This is kind of a cry for help - your Jello post made me think one of your clever readers might know the recipe I'm looking for. Years ago, I'm talking 30-35, there was a recipe in Seventeen magazine for Valentine cookies. They were made with red jello & were fantastic. I made them every Valentine's Day for years. But after several post-college moves I lost the recipe. And NO, I didn't memorize it! I only made it once a year :( It's possible it was some simple butter cookie recipe but I've had little luck re-creating it. If anyone out there has a similar (or the same!) recipe - please, I'm begging you (LOL) - share. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jello freaks me out. I don't like eating food that moves that much on its own. Good idea, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsha,
    I have this jello cookie recipe and am curious to know if it is the right one. Here is the recipe.
    Jell-O Sugar Cookies
    3/4 cup shortening (such as Crisco)
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1 small box Jell-O (any flavor)
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup granulated sugar

    In large bowl, cream shortening and 1/2 cup sugar together with electric mixer. Add eggs, vanilla extract and Jell-O; mix well. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place on greased cooking sheet and flatten with bottom of glass dipped in (1 cup) sugar. Bake at 400 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes.
    Hope it is the right one and that this helps.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very unique idea.. Your plum jell-o looks amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there anything you can't do? :)
    You're the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever. The end result is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try it this weekend! I'll let you know how it turns out. A million thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehe funny you say that cupcakes taste best at room temp, I actually prefer them cold...and I just so happen to love jello too! This is the cupcake for moi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marsha - Hope Carrie's response helped!
    Carrie - That was so nice of you to share. Thanks!
    Naomi - Well, you do need to push it to make it wiggle.
    Ashley - Thanks!!
    Ivy - Aww.. shucks. There's plenty I can't do. Here's one: I have issues blow drying my hair.
    Alexa - Thanks! I'd love to try it again with funky shapes. I hope someone else does because I want to see it!
    Marsha - Awesome! Please let me know how it turns out!
    Sophie - Hah! That's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, homemade plum jello sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your ideas, I been trying my best to learn how to cook (decent meals :-)) wish me luck! Busby SEO challenge

    KabonFootPrint

    ReplyDelete
  12. Either way, there's too much of it for the amount of cake it's light and airy, cool and refreshing

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics