Wednesday, July 30, 2008

peekfrostings

Really Sticky Candy with Applesauce

Print Friendly and PDF

Sticky Candy
My really sticky candy with applesauce is like no other candy I've encountered before - which isn't necessarily a good thing. It's REALLY STICKY. It's so sticky, in fact, that unless it's fresh out of the refrigerator, you can't pick the candy up - it just sticks to your fingers.

Jonathan loved the sticky candy. I did not. Although I did enjoy the subtle apple flavor, I found it to be way too messy and somewhat too sweet for regular eating.

What I did love, however, is what I did with the sticky candy. I baked it right plop in the center of cupcakes to give them a sweet and chewy middle. You'll see that soon and by soon, I mean some time next week. Sorry to make you wait more than the normal couple of days. I'll explain why later.

The Sticky Candy with Applesauce Recipe

I based the sticky candy with applesauce recipe on the pineapple candy that I made a while back. Despite the recipes being very similar, swapping applesauce for pineapple gave me a completely different type of candy. This shouldn't be surprising since pineapple actually has a texture.

Makes one cookie sheet of candies the size you see in the picture.
  • 1 C granulated white sugar
  • 1/2 C packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 C heavy cream
  • 8 oz applesauce
  • 1 T butter
  • 1 t pure vanilla extract
  1. Place white sugar, brown sugar, heavy cream, and applesauce in a heavy saucepan.
  2. Stir and bring to a gentle boil.
  3. Cook, without stirring, until the temperature reaches 242 F on a candy thermometer.
  4. Remove from heat.
  5. Stir in butter and vanilla.
  6. Beat until creamy and thick.
  7. Drop by the teaspoonful onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  8. Let cool.
  9. Refrigerate right on the baking sheet.
  10. Once they are cold, you can pull them off the sheet and store them in a different container in the refrigerator or use them in cupcakes!

4 comments:

  1. Mmm...these sound really tasty. Like caramel apples in chewy candy form. I'm curious to see what kind of cupcakes you made with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stef,

    Thanks for the nice comment. I'm glad you found me in the Blog-o-sphere. Th key lime cupcakes were a big hit. I could have shared more of them with friends, but my husband eat them all! Thanks for the recipe.

    -Erika

    Tiem for another batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kamiele - They were sort of like that. Good description!

    Erika - No prob! Glad you liked them!

    Kristen - Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics