Wednesday, December 5, 2007

peekfrostings

Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes: Eggnog Latte Needed a Friend

Print Friendly and PDF

When I baked my eggnog latte cupcakes, the Bride wrote and said she liked them, but she wanted to try a gingerbread latte cupcake. Having never had a gingerbread latte, I was a bit skeptical of the combination (I know, what was I thinking?). One of the very first comments on the blog post was from Hillary of Chew On That who suggested the very same thing the Bride had. I guess I had to make them.

I had made gingerbread cupcakes once before, that had passed level one through four evaluation, so I knew right away that I was going to function within that established framework. How would I handle being faced with the new challenge of the latte part? I decided on a multi-tiered approach.

Can you tell I'm on the job market now? I've jumped into corporate mode. Ugh, I'd better save those good lines for my interview tomorrow.

I wanted both the cake and the frosting to have a gingerbread and a latte component. To give the cake a latte flavor, I injected it with a coffee flavored simple syrup after it was done baking. It did give it a subtle coffee flavor, but I think it was a bit unnecessary.

For the frostings, I made both a gingerbread and a latte frosting and I swirled them together.

I liked this cupcake even more than the eggnog latte cupcake and have to admit that Hillary and the Bride had a great idea! This was the very last cupcake that I made before sitting down with the Bride and Groom to choose their 3 wedding flavors. I will be posting the chosen cupcakes soon.

The Cake (Makes 12 cupcakes. I doubled it.)

from allrecipes


  • 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp Dutch process cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup hot milk
  1. Cream butter with the white sugar. 
  2. Add the molasses and the egg and egg yolk.
  3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt.
  4. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot milk. 
  5. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the hot milk mixture.
  6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full..
  7. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes or until slightly springy to the touch.

The Simple Syrup
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup water
  • 1 t coffee extract
Bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add 1 t coffee extract and let cool.

The Frostings
  • 1 cup chilled whipping cream
  • 8 oz mascarpone
  • 2 teaspoon coffee extract
  • 1/8 cup coffee grinds
  • 2 to 3 cups confectioner's sugar (depending upon how thick you prefer frosting)
  • 1 teaspoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoons allspice
  • 1 teaspoons nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
  • 1 teaspoons ginger, ground
Whip up whipping cream in mixer until soft peaks begin to form. Fold in mascarpone.

Split mixture in half. Do a better job than I at splitting it in half. For some reason my "half" ended up being 3/4 and 1/4 which ended up making the frosting not as evenly mixed as I would have hoped.

In the first half, mix in 1/8 cup coffee grinds. Then while mixing over low speed, slowly add about 1.5 cups of the confectioner's sugar 1/2 cup at a time, being careful not to over-whip frosting.

In a separate bowl, mix the remaining spices. Add 2 teaspoons of the spice mix to the second half of the frosting. Then while mixing over low speed, slowly add the remaining confectioner's sugar 1/2 cup at a time, being careful not to over whip frosting.


The Sprinkles
I purchased the gingerbread sprinkles here.

The Assembly
When the cake cools, poke holes in it and pour a few teaspoons of the coffee syrup into each cupcake. Put some of each frosting into a pastry bag and pipe onto the cupcake.

An Easier Option
This cupcake would be just as good if you just made the cake and latte frosting and didn't bother with the gingerbread half of the frosting or the simple syrup. You could also just make the gingerbread portion of the frosting. You can't go wrong!

13 comments:

  1. OMG! I didn't know about this. You are amazing. I can't wait to try some of your tips. Keep up the good work and good luck on the job interview tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness....YES! You have made me so happy. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kai - Thanks! Let me know if you try some.

    Hillary - No problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love gingerbread lattes! Those look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, Stef! I made these and they are AMAZING!! My hubby doesn't really get into sweets, but said these were some of the best cupcakes he's ever tasted. :)

    Wasn't really sure what to do with the 2 tsp coffee extract listed for the frosting, though, so I skipped that ingredient. Does it go in before splitting the frosting in half? Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steph - Sorry for the confusion. The coffee extract goes in the half that has the coffee grinds in it. It just makes the coffee flavor stronger. You could leave it out if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just noticed that I have been remiss in telling you how much I love this recipe. I made the gingerbread cupcake with very un cupcake project toppings (peanut butter frosting and chocolate ganache) and they were perfect. I even made them again this summer when we suddenly realized the party we were going to was a potluck cupcake party.

    Thanks!

    Gingerbread Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache and Peanut Butter Frosting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to try the Ginger Latte
    cupcakes! Are "coffee grinds" the same as freshly ground coffee?

    Thanx for the help! Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suzan - Yes, freshly ground coffee would work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just have to say that this cupcake was deeelicious! However, I need help with the icing. It tasted sooo good, but I can't get the consistency right. It was very runny and I need it to hold some kind of shape. I added more powdered sugar and it just got worse. Any tips or ideas???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie - Make sure that the mascarpone and the heavy whipping cream are both cold. That may help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephanie - I should also mention that in re-making these cupcakes years later, I've also had some problems with the frosting. You could try this frosting (http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2008/09/cinnamon-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe.html) but with the gingerbread spices.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics