Sunday, October 21, 2007

peekfrostings

Easy Banana Cupcakes with Vanilla Cinnamon Granola Cream Cheese Frosting: Another Recipe From Grandma

Print Friendly and PDF

These banana cupcakes are quick, easy and delicious. Better yet, the banana cupcakes came from Grandma's recipe book. I love making new twists on family favorites.

The Banana Cupcake Background
My Grandma did not at first understand my husband's love for bananas. On our premier trip to Florida (home of all Jewish grandparents, at least those originally from New York), my grandparents took my husband (boyfriend at the time) and me out for a typically early Floridian dinner. We returned to the condo and my husband headed to the kitchen for a banana. Had he reached for a piece of golden glow cake or a scoop of ice cream, the world order might have been maintained. However, "Who eats a banana after dinner?" Surely my husband must be a strange bird with some kind of eating problem.

Grandma sent Grandpa out to the store the next day to buy more bananas. My husband was sure to eat them out of house and home at least in terms of bananas.

During future visits, my grandparents learned to prepare in advance, keeping plenty of bananas on hand to avoid any big scares (like an empty banana bowl).

I even heard Grandma mention to my husband that eating bananas must be what keeps him so slim. "Everyone should eat more bananas." I guess she's come to terms with his second love, 94011 (the PLU code for organic bananas). Phew.

As even further evidence of Grandma's lack of concern about over-consumption of bananas, she sent me her favorite banana cake recipe and encouraged me to give it a go. I think she also liked the idea of the fame of being mentioned in my blog. Who wouldn't, really?

The nice thing about all of Grandma's recipes is that they are easy. I needed an easy recipe this week. Last week, I logged 62 hours at work. I also had a brunch to go to on Sunday and banana sounded like a good breakfast cupcake flavor.

Grandma's banana cupcakes didn't have an icing, so that part was left up to me. I opted for a cream cheese icing with vanilla extract, cinnamon, and granola. Vanilla, cinnamon, and granola is a flavor combination that I have a adored ever since high school when I discovered it at Angora's, a frozen yogurt shop in Boston.

These were some of the easiest and best cupcakes I have made. I loved them! Unfortunately, I only got to eat two because I didn't have room to take any on the plane with me for this week's work trip. I guess I'll have to see if I can find some good cupcakes here in Idaho Falls. Any tips?

The Banana Cupcake Recipe (Makes 18)

  • 1 STICK BUTTER
  • 1 CUP SUGAR
  • 2 EGGS
  • 1/2 CUP SOUR CREAM
  • 1 TSPN BAKING SODA
  • 2 CUPS SIFTED ALL PURPOSE FLOUR (I didn't even both sifting and it was still light and fluffy)
  • 1 TSPN VANILLA
  • 2 BANANAS
CREAM BUTTER AND SUGAR
ADD EGGS
ADD SOUR CREAM,FLOUR, AND BAKING SODA
ADD VANILLA, ADD MASHED BANANAS
BAKE FOR 20 MINUTES AT 350

The Vanilla Cinnamon Granola Frosting Recipe

1 8oz package of cream cheese (Room temperature)
1/4 cup butter (Room temperature)
4 C powdered sugar (You can add slightly more or less to get the consistency and flavor you like.)
2 t vanilla
2 T cinnamon
2 C ground granola (I didn't want huge pieces, but I still wanted a detectable texture. I used an organic maple granola I found at Whole Foods. If you wanted to take more time, you could try to make your own, as shown here.)

Mix the cream cheese and the butter until they are fully integrated. Mix in the vanilla and cinnamon. Add the powdered sugar a little bit at a time. Make sure it is fully mixed in, but do not over-mix. Fold in the granola.

Shameless Product Plug For Which I'm Not Getting Any Kickback

I can't talk about bananas without mentioning the banana guard. The banana guard is a product that protects your banana from transit damage. It looks suspiciously like a sex toy, but that is not its job. Pick one up as a stocking stuffer. Your bananas will thank you.

20 comments:

  1. What a great story and banana recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I couldn't find your email on here, but I was wondering if I could talk to you (probably email, because that seems to work best for everyone these days) and ask you some questions about cupcakes for a news story I'm writing for a class. My email is wilgasa@slu.edu. Thank you SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do a search for Penuche Frosting and try it on your banana cakes next time. It is heavenly--brown sugar and butter flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. any time i can carry around something that resembles a sex toy...I'm all in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gigi - Thanks for commenting! You are always so sweet!

    Anon - I'll have to try a penuche sometime. It does sound great!

    Steamy - Hah!! Give it a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi! i'm just getting started in my baking experience, and i really wanted to make these cupcakes to bring into work tomorrow--except i don't know how to make the frosting! do i just combine all the ingredients? thanks for your help! these look delicious and i can't wait to make them (and eat them!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous - Sorry about that. I just updated the post. I hope that helps. Let me know how they work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. they were delicious--all of my co-workers want the recipe now! thanks for the frosting help.
    --meghan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just tried this recipie and everyone loves it. I left out the granola even though I know I would love it. I don't have a Whole Foods close by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Song - I'm so glad they were a hit! Thanks for letting me know. I'm actually making a variation on these this weekend. Thanks for getting me back in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was looking for different banana bread and cupcake recipes. I made an easy recipe for a bread with yellow cake mix and put them in those cute little heart and star shaped cupcake tins. This frosting sounds delicious, I am going to give it a try. Minus the oatmeal probably. I just love a cream cheese frostin! Thanks for the sharing the recipe and the story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Traci - Those tins are so cute! Hope you like the frosting! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stumbled upon these during a google search and made them the same night. I think they are delicious but I'm serving them at a bday party for a friend tonight so I hope everyone else agrees!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really enjoy your blog. Just been on a cupcake making course and now I love baking them! This may sound like a silly question but I'm from the UK and I have never cooked with cups and am unsure how much a stick of butter is. I usually work in grams or ounces and have lots of various sized cups. Any advice about conversion?
    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anon - I stick is a 1/2 cup. In general, maybe this will help: http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2007/01/how-to-convert-recipes-to-metric-units.html.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made these cupcakes and frosted with your brown sugar frosting (I used dark brown sugar). Holy decadence. I had to take some to the neighbors so I wouldn't eat them all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi, i made these but something went worng, when i cut the cupcake in half, it appears that the inner portion wasnt baked well and the outer part was the only part baked well. i'd gladly send you a photo if you want because i really need your help. this was the second time i made it, which ended this way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. here's the link to my problem with the photo of the underbaked banana cupcake, i hope you can help me, thank you so much

    http://theporcelainprincess.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/underbaked-banana-cupcakes/

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics