Tuesday, January 26, 2010

peekfrostings

Truffle Honey for Your Honey

Print Friendly and PDF

Chocolate truffles in a heart-shaped box are a Valentine's Day staple. In fact, I'll be telling you about some of my favorite chocolate truffles in my next post. However, if you are looking for something different for your honey this Valentine's Day, consider the other variety of truffle - fungi! Specifically, I recommend getting your sweet thing a jar of truffle honey.

I first experienced truffle honey during a trip to a local restaurant, FIVE Bistro. FIVE serves truffle honey with its cheese plates; that in itself is a reason to go to there. The salty cheese dunked in sweet honey with the distinctive musky taste of truffle is a must try!

I will warn you that truffles are an acquired taste. On the same night that I discovered truffle honey, several of my dining companions were disgusted by it. I could barely come down from my place in heaven to hear their complaints, but it wouldn't be nice of me to not warn you that truffle honey isn't for everyone.

Where Can I Buy Truffle Honey?

Back in June, I first met (online) Justin from Marx Foods. He wanted me to review Marx's palm leaf plates (I loved them). When I was browsing Marx's site, I discovered that they sold truffle honey. I immediately began hinting strongly that while the plates were nice, what I really wanted to review was the truffle honey. Seven months later, Justin sent me some. Woohoo!

The truffle honey from Marx Foods was dreamy. Of course, I used some in a cupcake, but I saved enough to eat with bread and cheese and I licked every last morsel of truffle honey out of my measuring cup. The honey costs $31.50, which is less than a box of chocolate truffles might cost.

Give it a try!

10 comments:

  1. Sign me up! Everyone is in for a treat with the cupcakes you're posting next. These make me wish you baked and sold commercially!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought I'd say this, but what a beautiful jar of honey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious. Will definitely have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading your blog for a year and a half now and NEVER knew you were in the same city as me. I just wanted to say that I love your blog so much (even more now that I know your in STL) and everything I have tried from said blog has turned out fantastic. You directions are always so easy and your pictures make me want to make everything on here. And it's not just me that benefits from your site, all of my friends and family that are lucky enough to have my bake-goods are never disappointed from your recipes.
    Wow, this was a book. St. Louis Pride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole - Thanks for leaving a comment! It's so great to hear that you have enjoyed the blog, the cupcake recipes, and the photos! We will have to meet up sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This truffle honey sounds like a real treat! I bet a little goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only did you introduce me to truffle honey but Marx Foods as well, this is so great! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say, that that truffle honey makes a spectacular glaze for a spiral ham as well. I get rave reviews every year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love the stuff...on goat cheese, blue cheese, on apples, on lamb!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to say that but it's disgusting , straight to the bin, I quickly washed my teeth afterward, be warm guys don't try this. I don't know how some of us
    Liked it

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics