Wednesday, December 16, 2009

peekfrostings

Panettone - Cupcake Style

Print Friendly and PDF

Panettone is one of the few cakes that you can buy in a box at Walgreens. I've always seen the panettone there, but like the Snuggie for dogs, I just look - I've never purchased. That being said, I can't tell you if my panettone cupcakes are better or worse than the panettone cake in the boxes. But, I believe that the odds of homemade baked goods being better than their store-bought counterparts are about the same as the odds of a book being better than its movie adaptation - just about 100% (feel free to correct me, fans of boxed panettone or movie adaptions of books).

Panettone Whoseewhatsee?

If you've spent the whole first paragraph wondering what in the world panettone is and how you say it (it's pon-a-tony), here is your answer: Panettone is an Italian sweet bread with dried fruit and/or candied fruit typically served during Christmas time. I've (of course) made mine in cupcake wrappers. I got the adorable seasonal wrappers shown above and below as a gift from cousin Bryna. Thanks!!

Panettone Cupcake Recipe

To make these panettone cupcakes, I converted a panettone recipe from allrecipes.com to cupcake format. I am reprinting it below with the cupcake adaptation and my notes.

Makes 12 cupcakes
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 C warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 C nonfat plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1 T grated lemon zest (I used 1/4 t lemon extract and 1/4 t orange extract)
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 4 C unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 C dried currants
  • 1/4 C raisins (I also added 1/4 C dried cherries and 1/4 C dried cranberries. Feel free to add whatever dried fruit you like!)
  • 1 T confectioners' sugar
  • 1 T butter, melted (optional)
  1. In a medium bowl, combine yeast, water and sugar.
  2. Cover and let stand 10 minutes, or until foamy.
  3. Add eggs, yogurt, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt. Mix well.
  4. Stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough forms into a manageable ball.
  5. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary, until dough is soft and pliable, but not sticky. (You may need up to 5 cups flour.)
  6. Place dough in a large, lightly greased bowl.
  7. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
  8. In a small bowl, toss dried fruit with confectioners' sugar.
  9. Punch down dough, transfer to floured surface, and knead in the fruit.
  10. Line cupcake tin with liners and divide dough evenly between them.
  11. Cover loosely with dish towel, and let rise 30 minutes.
  12. Brush with melted butter, if desired.
  13. Bake for at 350 F for 25 minutes, or until cupcakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Other Christmas Cupcake Ideas:

18 comments:

  1. Oh, you didn't mention boxed at Walgreens. The only one I've ever received and loved was from Williams-Sonoma. (Thank you, Cal!) It was huge, Myron and I both loved it, and it could have been breakfast or dessert - or bread pudding ingredient - forever. Will give this one another try with coffee later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, now you have combined two of my favorite things: Cupcakes and Panetone! Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I love the boxed Panettone, although I usually just get the mini versions because I'm the only one at home who likes panettone. My husband says "it's just bread". (eyeroll!) I'll have to try the homemade version though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also be really intrigued by panettone lately... it seems that Giada on the Food Network can't stop raving about it, and I take her in pretty high authority!

    Now I don't have any excuse not to give it a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Besides the Panettone, I'm loving the snowman frill-picks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh, so I first read this as Pantone, you know, the computer color wheel thingy? I'm thinking, why is she baking with color, although that would be cool.

    Gah, the holidays make me blind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea to morph a Panettone loaf into muffins. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stef, just popped in to see what's cookin'. What festive cupcakes! You've done it again!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cupcakes are the perfect serving size and these look so light and not TOO sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. I'm going to try this recipe for Taste and Create.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum Panettone... I might bake these as Chocottone, my favorite Holiday treat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really really cute!

    I enjoy movie adaptations when it hasn't been ridiculously Hollywoodized (Revolution Road is a good one)

    Imported Panettone from a respectable Italian maker is very good. Even better is Pandoro (which doesn't have all the dried fruit.)

    ps: pronounce like this: pahn-eh-toh-neh

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I meant to say "Revolutionary Road" back there...

    ps: Snuggies for DOGS?! I feel like getting a dog just to buy him one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A friend just told me about your blog....love it!!!! I LOVE panettone...my mum is italian and so i grew up on the stuff at christmas time....and easter too....i totally crave it! These cupcakes look great!! thanks!
    ps boxed panettone is also great to use to make french toast! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I just did all the steps up until baking and just realized that you didn't put the temperature at which we should bake it!! Help! In the meantime I'm just going to go back to the original recipe and bake it at that temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love love LOVE your blog! I've made at least a dozen of your recipes before. I usually am in love with your recipes but for some reason this one didn't come out right. I found the taste to be too bland. Tasted too much like plain bread and although the texture was nice, it obviously wasnt the lovely texture that the panettone is known for. I only put 3/4 cup of dried fruit in it and I think I should've used more. I'll try making this again someday

    ReplyDelete
  17. Monica - Oops. Sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know. I just added the temperature (350 F) to the post.

    Annie - Sorry that this one didn't work out for you. :(

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics