Tuesday, April 15, 2008

peekfrostings

Guava Chiffon Baby Shower Cupcakes: Great Only if You Like Guava

Print Friendly and PDF

This weekend I was tasked with making tropical themed baby shower cupcakes. I could have made my margarita cupcakes, but I don't repeat flavors and the baby shower cupcakes were no exception.

Back in February, I got an email from reader Joe asking if I had a recipe for guava cupcakes.


I am a big fan of your blog! I tried out the Super Bowl cupcakes (Beer & Cheddar) using a special local microbrew that can only be found in Hawaii - a coconut porter beer by the Maui Brewing Company. But I digress...

Speaking of Hawaii, I was wondering if you had any good cupcake recipes(or ideas) for some kind of guava based cupcake. I was thinking a guava cupcake with coconut frosting and a pineapple chunk on top. Would something like this even be feasible?
First of all, I want some of that coconut porter. Joe says it's so good that it has ruined all other beers for him. I did not have a guava cupcake recipe, but I told him I would get to it. The tropical baby shower seemed like the perfect time to try out guava cupcakes!
How were the Guava Chiffon Baby Shower Cupcakes?
My main experience with guava is the form of guava paste. One of my good friends introduced me to eating guava paste with Mexican cheese as a snack. Damn is that good!
Guava juice, as it turns out, tastes nothing like guava paste. The guava juice flavor in the cupcake tasted sort of like a combination of a bunch of fruits that you might find in a cheap mixed fruit cup. I didn't like the flavor. I especially didn't like the flavor after the lifesaver candy dissolved in the cupcake, creating a lifesaver-guava blend. If you like the flavor of guava, fruit cups, or lifesavers, you may like these more than I.
But what did the guests think?
Bride 2.0 said that it was in the top 25% of the cupcakes she had tried. Not bad.
Groom 2.0 wasn't at the shower but he tasted one on a later date. He reported back that he enjoyed the texture of the cake and the frosting, just not the guava flavor. The good news is that this cake can be made with any fruit juice flavor.
The person being showered thought my Passover flourless chocolate cupcakes were the best cupcakes she had ever had in her life. There was no hope of these comparing. However, she did say they were a great, light summery cupcake.
Another pregnant guest said that she always loves the frosting on my cupcakes and these were no exception.
My Mother-In-Law wasn't at the shower either, but I always save one for her. She said, "Another winner... These were spring-y but with robust flavor. Also incredibly cute."
Several guests had two cupcakes - you know I monitor these things!
While the general consensus was positive, I'd love to see how this cupcake went over in a crowd of people who really like the flavor of guava. I bet they would be a hit!
The Guava Chiffon Baby Shower Cupcake Recipe

I got the recipe for the guava chiffon cupcakes from Honolulu Star Bulletin. It is a cake recipe which I converted to cupcakes. I am reprinting with my notes below.

Makes 28 cupcakes

Batter


  • 2 3/4 C flour
  • 2/3 C sugar
  • 4 t baking powder
  • 1 t vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C water
  • 3/4 C guava juice concentrate (thawed, undiluted)
  • 5 egg yolks slightly beaten
  • 1 t vanilla
  • (the original recipe calls for adding 2-3 drops of red food coloring - I didn't see the need to dye the cake red.)
Meringue
  • 7 egg whites
  • 1/2 t cream of tartar
  • 1/2 C sugar
  1. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  2. Add oil, water, guava concentrate, egg yolks, and vanilla. Beat with a spoon until mixture is smooth.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until stiff.
  4. Gently fold the batter into the meringue until barely mixed.
  5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
Guava Chiffon Frosting Recipe
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 3/4 C guava juice concentrate (thawed, undiluted)
  • 1 C whipping cream
  • 1/4 t vanilla
  1. Beat egg yolks and sugar.
  2. Add guava concentrate.
  3. Place in saucepan and cook over low-to-medium heat until thick about 8 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat, bring to room temperature, and place in the fridge to chill.
  5. Whip cream until soft peak form and add vanilla.
  6. Fold cream mixture into guava mixture.
Making Babies on the Baby Shower Cupcakes

The guava chiffon frosting is the perfect color for a Caucasian baby. I set a small bit aside to color for the pacifier and spread the rest to make the baby's face.
I used gel frosting to draw the babies' faces and hair and then piped a bit of the colored frosting on top for the pacifier and shoved in a lifesaver candy for the handle part.
Each baby looked a bit different - just like in real life.
I can't claim to have come up with the lifesaver pacifier concept on my own. I saw it on Coolest Birthday Cakes. The ones that are featured there by Brooke S. use chocolate for the face and a candy melt for the pacifier.

Final Recipe Notes

  1. Eat these right away. As I alluded to earlier, the lifesaver will melt after it has been in the cupcake for a while. This makes it look like a creepy Halloween baby, not a cute baby shower baby.
  2. The cake recipe on Star Bulletin also featured a recipe for a guava topping. I actually made the guava topping as well but opted not to use it. It is really tasty and might make for a good cupcake filling. It was a bit runny to put on top of a cupcake.

28 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! those baby faces kinda look like some I did a couple years ago! I also did crybabies :) I didn't make mine from scratch, like you, though. For shame! Also, someone I work with found tiny little pacifier candies to use, but I love the lifesaver idea! Here are my babycakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bratty-cute little faces!! Very cute, but I would still eat it. I like guava, so I would be happy to try these babies out! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In addition to being very tasty, these babies were dressed in pastel print papers. They were pretty cute even with melted pacifiers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so cute! Love the decorations. I've never every heard of guava paste, but I think I'd like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i sure wouldn't be opposed to eating a cupcake decorated with a baby's face. those pacifiers are a stroke of genius. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the person being showered, I really enjoyed these. They fit right in with the tropical theme - and were very tasty.

    Personally I would have liked more icing or filling - or both! But then I'd probably say that if anything less than 2 1/2 inches of icing was on them :)

    The icing and cupcakes were so light and airy - a perfect spring time treat. And Stef did such a cute job in decorating them - how could I not love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. is that right? you used egg yolks in the frosting??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iron Stef - I love yours! They are so cute!

    Cakespy - Thanks!

    Nancy - I served one of these to someone yesterday at about a week old, it wasn't even recognizable to him since the pacifier had melted that much. It still tasted good though.

    Grace - Aww.. thanks!

    K - Glad you liked them, but also glad that you got to try some of the chocolate ones.

    TW - Yeah, I hadn't heard of that before either. It worked really well though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. whoa! so like a custard frosting then? sounds like people really liked it, I'll have to give it a whirl. I like guava but I've only had it fresh, haven't tried guava juice. Maybe using puree would have tasted better to you. I think the concept sounds really good- chiffon + tropical fruit = very summery cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. TW - It wasn't custardy at all. Tasted just like basic fluffy frosting. Maybe a bit richer? Yeah.. maybe puree would have been better. I'm nut sure if I've ever had fresh guava. I'll have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute cupcake! I just got asked to do cupcakes for a baby shower and these are too cute.

    PS I make guava curd from "Goya Guava Puree" in the frozen food section of most latin grocery stores. It makes great guava candy and curd.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gigi - That sounds good! Maybe I shouldn't give up on guava so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. But did he ever send you any of the coconut porter?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bld - Nope! I should give him a hard time about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am flattered that you have created this new cupcake based on my suggesstion. We'll be trying it out very soon here! As for the Porter....if you have any ideas on how to legally mail the cans, I am open to sending some your way. I will work on some options this week and see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much Joe! No worries at all if you can't! Hope you like the cupcake. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Was the guava flavor strong?
    I once tried baking guava cupcakes using guava nectar, but they tasted nothing like guava, they were very plain.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Staria - These had a very strong guava flavor. You could definitly taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. my frosting came out runny. What am i doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anon - It's hard to say. Maybe you used guava juice instead of gauva concentrate? Maybe you didn't whip the whipping cream enough? Maybe you mixed too much at the end instead of just folding the two part together? Sorry you had problems. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does the t stand for teaspoon or tablespoon??

    ReplyDelete
  22. does the t stand for teaspoon or tablespoon?

    ReplyDelete
  23. How much sugar for the meringue?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anon - Half cup. Just fixed the post. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This recipe was horrible!!! I baked the cupcakes for 15 min not twenty because the top was burned. Then when I did a test bite the top was burnt, the bottom was perfect but right in-between the burnt top and the cupcake a thin layer was super gooey and underdone. I would never recommend this recipe to anyone ever. A big dissapointment and a big waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. U said u didnt c a reason why to put in the red dye. Well..simply because the red dye highlights it with a pretty pinkish color. Doesn't turn it really red. Guava cakes/cupcakes are known for the pretty pinkish color, texture, whipped frosting, filling and glaze with amazing guava taste.

    For the anonymous person whose tops were burnt, make sure u use the 3rd rack level down in the oven. It sounds like perhaps u had it on a higher rack. Plus keep in mind that different climates, ovens affect cooking times. I also bake for half the time, turn my pan, then bake remainder time. Check a couple min before its due to b finished due to oven variations.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm gonna pick some guava's! I also live in Hawaii and am a native Hawaiian. I've been looking for a guava cupcake recipe for my brother in laws wedding! Can't wait to try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics