Tuesday, April 1, 2008

peekfrostings

Lavender Pear Cupcakes with Vosges Bianca Ganache: A Tale of Two Groups of Tasters

Print Friendly and PDF

Lavender Pear Cupcake Warning

If you are going to bring lavender pear cupcakes to a party, do not bring them to someone's house who has just made lavender-scented soap.

My cupcakes and I arrived at a friend's house who just happened to have blocks and blocks of lavender soap sitting out on the table curing. As newbies to the world of culinary lavender, how could my friends help but make an association between the soap and the lavender pear cupcakes? Most of my friends loved the moistness of the cupcakes, but thought:

a) Lavender tastes like soap.
b) The white chocolate frosting looked like gravy.

Bride 2.0 was actually a fan of this cupcake but thought it was too springy for their fall wedding.

Lavender Pear Cupcake Tasters Other Than The Soap Bunch

The second group of cupcake tasters were a group St. Louis food bloggers at a food blogger potluck. The majority of this group were not only familiar with culinary lavender, but were fans of it. This group loved the cupcakes. I can only assume that they were being honest. However, I don't think the bloggers group would have told me if they thought the frosting looked like gravy. That's why I keep my good friends around.

To see all the potluck food and food bloggers eating the food, check out J. Pollack Photography and enter keyword FOODBLOG at the bottom of any page.


Lavender Pear Cupcake Recipe

I created this lavender pear cupcake recipe by adding lavender to the bubbly pear cupcake recipe on Yumsugar. I am reprinting the recipe below with my modification and notes.

makes 24-30 cupcakes

  • 2 3/4 C flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 sticks of lavender butter (Make this the night before - refer to this lavender butter recipe)
  • 2 C sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 3 medium sized pears (The Yumsugar recipe said to peel and grate them. I peeled and finely chopped them.)
  • 1 C champagne
  1. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  2. Cream butter and sugar until well mixed and airy.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
  4. Slowly add in flour mixture a little bit at a time until it is fully incorporated.
  5. Stir in vanilla and champagne.
  6. Stir in pears.
  7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until top bounces back when touched.


Vosges Bianca Couture Cocoa Ganache Recipe

For the white chocolate ganache, I used Vosges Bianca Couture Cocoa (No, they did not sponsor this post. I'll always let you know if I get something for free). This cocoa contains Australian lemon myrtle, lavender flowers, vanilla, and white chocolate. I should also explain that it is not traditional cocoa powder. It is little pieces of white chocolate with all the seasonings mixed in. If you enjoy white chocolate (I say this because I don't -- not even when it's particularly good white chocolate like this), you are sure to love this stuff.

It does however cost $17, so use any old white chocolate with some lavender flowers and vanilla if you would prefer.
  • 1 box Vosges Bianca Couture Cocoa or 2 C white chocolate chopped into small pieces with 1/2 t of culinary lavender and 1 t of vanilla.
  • 1/2 C heavy cream
  1. Heat the heavy cream until it just starts to boil.
  2. Pour over the chocolate and stir until all the chocolate is melted.
  3. Let cool slightly and spread on the cupcakes.

Spring Fruit Sensations Monthly Mingle

I am entering these cupcakes into the Spring Fruit Sensations Monthly Mingle hosted by Eat the Right Stuff. Check there for more spring fruit cooking inspiration.

18 comments:

  1. Jonathan brought some of these to work as well. When he mentioned lavender, I became a bit leery, since I starting thinking of flowery perfumes. Fortunately, the first bit put those fears to rest. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like the perfect spring cupcakes! (Even if the frosting does remind your friends of gravy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow these sound and look divine. i love lavendar and pear...mmm.

    btw..i had never heard of olallieberry before either but it makes a fabulous jam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love the lavender and the white chocolate. This one is right up in the Shirley Temple category for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love all things lavender..a friend once made lavender cookies and they were simply amazing. even if the icing looks like gravy, i'd have loved to be there to taste these...
    love your posh cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so the icing looks like gravy. some people (perhaps paula deen?) would argue that it would be a fabulous addition to a cupcake. i personally am not among that group, but to each his own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. bwahahaha~ lavendar biscuits and gravy! That's some expensive southern cooking right there. Sorry to hear about the soap confusion, too weird on the timing. Did you like the glaze? You have been pretty mum about your own tastebuds girly. Maybe using the chocolate cocoa in a whipped frosting of some type might have reduced the gravy factor?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chuck - Glad you liked them. Thanks for commenting!

    Karen - Thanks!

    Mara - I had never had lavender and pear together before. It's a nice combo.

    Nancy - Clearly you like white chocolate. Recall the white chocolate caviar cheesecakes that only you loved.

    Diva - Aww.. thanks! I would have loved to serve you some.

    A. - Hah!

    TW - I did say in the post that I don't like white chocolate. I really thought that I would like this white chocolate because I love everything Vosges makes. However, no luck. White chocolate is just too sweet for me. Whipping may have helped the appearance of it or it may have just made it look like whipped gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WoW! Lavender in a cupcake? That's pretty interesting! So does it taste the way it smells? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really lavender in cakes - no soap connotations for me! thanks for contributing this to the monthly mingle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lavender and pear. now I have to admit it would not have been a combination i would have come up with but reading this i can see how the flavors would harmonize perfectly. Nice entry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Meeta. There are lots of apple lavender recipes out there so I figured that pear would work well too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This sounds fabulous! Delicious, entincing :-D

    Smita

    ReplyDelete
  14. These seem to be begging for candied flowers as decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Luckily the white gravy stuff doesn't exist here in the UK, so I might get away with it! All gravy is made from meat or vegetable stock here, so it's kinda brown - not so good on a cupcake... Thanks for this recipe, looks lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey:) do you think I could add some melted white chocolate in the mix to make it more brownie-moist or would I mess the whole thing up?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anon - I bet that would be tasty. However, I'm not sure it would make it more moist.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! I have lavender extract laying around and really wanted to make some cupcakes with it. Could I use the extract and regular butter, or do you think this would not work?

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics