Thursday, April 17, 2008

peekfrostings

Lamb and Apricot Stew: How to Come Up with Cupcake Ideas

Print Friendly and PDF

How to Come Up With Cupcake Ideas

Sometimes people ask how I come up with the ideas for my cupcakes. Absolutely any flavor you enjoy can become a cupcake. One of the reasons I like participating in Taste & Create is that it forces me to choose a dish to make from a particular blog. If that blog doesn't have any cakes or cupcakes that appeal, I'll make a main dish and use it as cupcake inspiration.

This month, I was paired with Ruth's Kitchen Experiments. Ruth had a ton of tasty dishes to choose from. The dish that most caught my eye was the lamb and apricot stew. She originally posted a recipe for it back in January. Then, more recently, she posted a revised version. I figured that if she took the effort to refine the recipe and write about it twice, it had to be pretty special.

How did Lamb and Apricot Stew Inspire a Cupcake? I'm Scared!

The cupcakes inspired by this dish will be coming soon. No worries - I haven't made more meat cupcakes. The cupcakes do not feature lamb, but they do contain apricot, honey, and some of the same spices as the stew. Also, the stew is topped with almonds so I topped my apricot cupcakes with almond butter.

How was the Lamb and Apricot Stew Recipe?

Wow - this was a recipe I would highly recommend! Let's remember that I VERY rarely cook. We're talking 5 times a year max. I bake all the time, but I do not cook. This dish was worth one of my 5 times. It made the house smell unbelievable for a full day and it had a rich, complex flavor. The apricots dissolved into the stew for the most part, but occasionally I would get a sweet apricot bite.

Lamb and Apricot Stew Recipe

I am reprinting the recipe from Ruth's Kitchen Experiments with my notes.

  • 2 T oil (I used olive oil)
  • 2 shallots, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 t ground cinnamon
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 1 lb (400 g) boned leg of lab, cubed
  • 14 oz can (400 g) of chopped tomatoes
  • 1 C (1/2 pint) of water
  • 10-14 dried apricots
  • 1 dried chili, finely chopped (I didn't have any on hand so I used 1 t hot sauce)
  • 1 sprig of rosemary, chopped (We had some growing in our backyard. I was excited to get to use it. I used several sprigs.)
  • 1 t clear honey (I used a regular non-clear clover honey)
  • Chopped toasted almonds to garnish (I didn't toast them)
  • Salt and pepper (It didn't need it)

  1. Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the shallot and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
  2. Stir in the ground cinnamon and cloves. Fry for 1 minute.
  3. Add the lamb. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Stir until browned.
  4. Add the tomatoes, water, apricots, chili, rosemary, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil.
  5. Cover the pan. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 45 minutes.
  6. Stir in the honey and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the lamb is tender.
  7. Serve garnished with some chopped almonds.

More Taste & Create

Check out the other food I have made for Taste & Create.

10 comments:

  1. I love that you used a lamb stew recipe to develope a cupcake recipe!! Very creative:) The stew sound really wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The stew was great! The only problem was that there weren't more leftovers. I'd make more if I made it again. It made about 4 bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stef - You are a genius when it comes to creating new cupcakes. Sometimes the stuff scares me a little, but still I love reading about what you create. What is taste and create? Can anyone participate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie - Anyone with a food blog can participate in Taste and Create. You sign up and then they partner you with another blog. You have to make something from the other blog and write about it. Go here for the details: http://forfood.rezimo.com/?cat=56 . After this round is done, they'll ask for participants for the next round.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you aren't including lamb in a cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're forgoing the lamb in the cupcakes, but apricot and honey sounds yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Stef! Great work on the stew!!! And it's great to hear some feedback from someone who's tried it. I'm really excited to hear your cupcake inspiration from this recipe too!!!

    (PS I'm going to be posting what I've made from your blog today)

    ReplyDelete
  8. DoBetter and Marriage - Hah! I definitely considered baking with lamb, but opted against it.

    Ruth - Thanks again for the great recipe. It was fab!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first saw that you were getting inspired for a new cupcake recipe from lamb and apricot stew, I immediately thought of the banana meatloaf my mom made when she was pregnant with my brother years and years ago:)! It's not delicious, believe me :P! Oh, but I'm so looking forward to the cool cupcakes you're planning on making!

    I loove apricot, I think almond butter would taste fantastic on an apricot cupcake :D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sophie - Lots of people thought the combination would be weird, but it did end up being really tasty! Banana meatloaf?? That's certainly different.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics