Tuesday, April 8, 2008

peekfrostings

Kosher for Passover Chocolate Cupcakes: Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Print Friendly and PDF

kosher for passover chocolate cupcakeMoses raised his staff and parted the Red Sea. The Kosher for Passover chocolate cupcakes began their journey to the promised land. Since they didn't have time to wait for bread to rise, the only food they brought along was - themselves.

If you're only going to have one dessert at your Passover table, don't make it a macaroon from a can, make it a flourless chocolate cupcake that is so good that you'd want to eat it even if it were not Passover. If you want a second desert, try these Passover charoses cupcakes.

I would highly recommend making the flourless chocolate cupcakes as mini-cupcakes. They are incredibly rich (they essentially taste like and have the consistency of chocolate fudge) and if there are any other desserts on the table, people will not be able to eat an entire cupcake.

The Kosher for Passover Chocolate Cupcake Recipe

I got the flourless chocolate cake recipe from Allrecipes. I am reprinting it here with my notes describing how to make it into cupcakes.

If you take your "kosher for Passover" to more serious levels than I, you will want to use kosher versions of all of these products. If you are of the mindset that chocolate doesn't rise so it's kosher for Passover, then just go for the best ingredients you can find. The quality of the chocolate really matters in this recipe since it's all about the chocolate.

Makes 18 cupcakes

  • 1/2 C water
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 3/4 C white sugar
  • 18 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped into small pieces
  • 1 C unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 egg whites
  1. Combine the water, salt, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
  2. Either in the top half of a double boiler or in a microwave oven, melt the bittersweet chocolate.
  3. Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
  4. Cut the butter into pieces and beat the butter into the chocolate, 1 piece at a time.
  5. Beat in the hot sugar-water.
  6. Slowly beat in the eggs and the egg whites one at a time.
  7. Pour the batter 3/4 to the top of lined cupcake tins. These don't rise (hence the kosher for Passover status) so you can go higher if you'd like.
  8. Have pans larger than the cupcake tins ready. Put each cupcake tin in a larger pan and fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the sides of the cake pan. (You can get an idea of how I did this in the picture at the right. Mine could actually be filled a bit higher. I filled it more in my second batch.)
  9. Bake cupcakes in the water bath at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 30 minutes. The center will still look wet.
  10. Do not take the cupcakes out of the tin! Wait until the tins are cool enough to handle with your bare hands, then put the entire cupcake tin in the fridge until it is cool. Then remove the cupcakes from the tin and frost. If you take the cupcakes out of the tin while they are still hot, they will lose their shape.

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

I used my favorite chocolate cream cheese frosting recipe on these cupcakes.

33 comments:

  1. These look so good! I may just have to whip up a batch before next weekend.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank god you did these. Have I described to you by intense hatred of macaroons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo, they look awesome! So chocolatey and then topped off with chocolate cream cheese icing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dagnabbit~ you beat me to flourless chocolate cake. I have it totally earmarked for my good chocolate. This is what I get for procrastinating. Sounds incredibly good with the chocolate cream cheese frosting. YUM.
    What little kid did you steal the Moses action figure from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You put a hot muffin tin in the refrigerator? Didnt that raise the overall temperature of your fridge and put it in the danger zone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely trying this recipe - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maxine - If you like heavy fudgey chocolate, this is a winner. It's delish!

    Naomi - You have not.

    Gigi - Thanks so much!

    TW - You can make you own version of it! Give it the TW pizazz. I got the action figure from Stupid.com. Yes, I actually ordered it special for this photo.

    Mr D. I should probably have clarified that it wasn't piping hot when I put it in the fridge. I waited a few minutes. It did probably raise the temperature of my fridge a bit, but not much as far as I could tell.

    Michelle - Good luck. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stef, those cupcakes must be real good because Moses looks very protective of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting this - it's now officially on my list of baking for next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I was just wondering if the yield was 18 mini or regular sized cupcakes? Also what % of bittersweet choc and what kind did you use? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet chocolately goodness - these were the best cupcakes I've ever had in my life!!!!! We (and by we I mean Dan) will be making this recipe in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alana - The yield was for regular sized cupcakes. As for the type of chocolate, use whatever you like best. I actually used a mix of what I had leftover in my pantry: some ghirardelli, some green and black, and some callebaut. There were all different percents. If you like the flavor of our chocolate, you should like the cupcake.

    Karen - Yay! I'm so glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great pic, and good idea - what a creative way to stay kosher!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cool idea. I just made flourless chocolate peanut butter cookies last week, but it's never occurred to me to make flourless cupcakes! I didn't think it was possible! Thanks for sharing, this is an exciting discovery :D.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm confused on how you can call these cupcakes Kosher for Passover when you use cream cheese in the icing. Although cream cheese is kosher by itself, you cannot eat it if you are eating meat. Because almost all families will be eating meat at a Pesach seder, these cupcakes would have no place at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous - if you make these cupcakes with K-P cream cheese and other ingredients, as you suggested, then these are definitely kosher for Passover. If there were meat in the cupcakes themselves, then I'd agree that these were not kosher for Passover. As they stand now, you could make them and serve them with any non-meat meal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wheeler - Thanks so much!

    Sophie - There are all kinds of flourless possibilities. The cookies sound good!

    Anon - Sorry for the confusion. As J pointed out, they are certainly Kosher for Passover with a non-meat meal. My family is not strictly kosher so we do eat milk and meat at the same meal. However, obviously if you do not, you could have these with a dairy lunch. Sorry for not thinking about that before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I noticed that you cut the time for baking down from Allrecipes by 15 minutes to do cupcakes instead of a single cake. How much would you recommend to cut baking time down for minis? And would this work in a silicone mini pan? Or would that pan be too porous for the water bath?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ms B - I think the silicone should work. I'm not quite sure about the cooking time. I'd guess it would take 15-20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Has anyone ever tried this recipe with carob instead of chocolate? There is a company I know of called Holy Food Imports which makes an excellent carob spread and in my opinion, to me, it is similar to chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG these are so good! I just made them for a co-worker's birthday...and with the cream cheese/chocolate icing...sinful! Thanks!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  22. I doubled this recipe and was overrun by cupcakes! They look so good though, we're just going to dust them with powdered sugar or top with a bit of whipped cream.

    I thought when reading this that it made 24 MINIS; otherwise I would have made the recipe as written...but FWIW, it does double OK - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Totally scrumptious! We added a sliver of strawberry on top of the frosting. So gourmet, yet VERY easy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These were fabulous - I actually made some in mini muffin tins since they were so rich. Delicious - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These looked so delicious! So because I am on bed-rest, had my 16 and 11 year old make them... they completely flopped. There was a strange goo underneath the cupcake tin which I leaves me perplexed. The remnants tasted incredible though... because this was my 11 year old's Pesach project.. she was absolutely crushed. Any ideas what went wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wish I could help. As you can see from the other comments, they usually turn out amazing. No idea what could have happened. Sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. This year my birthday fell during Pesach and I made these. AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for showing a link to these. I made these two years ago and we named them Satan's cupcakes because they were so sinfully delish. Last year family friends scolded my mom for not making sure their cupcakes found a way to her house for second night. I have been asked to make them again this year. In fact, I was told don't come without them!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I recently made a flourless cake and it had a strange goo on the bottom and I realized that it was the butter. It had settled to the bottom. I forgot to put it in at the time when the water was the hottest and so everything had already been incorporated and then adding the butter last, it did not blend in properly. I have made flourless cakes before and did not have this problem, because I did put the butter in at the right time. I had the feeling that it would probably fail and my feeling was correct.
    I will try these though, because now that I had that to happen, I know not to do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stef, those cupcakes must be real good because Moses looks very protective of them!

    ReplyDelete
  31. when you say "eggs" and then egg whites, do you mean use just the yolk for the "eggs" or do i need 6 eggs in total?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three whole eggs and then three egg whites. You'll need 6 eggs.

      Delete
  32. These look great. Why does it need to cook in the water, though?

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics