Saturday, December 29, 2007

peekfrostings

The Shopping is Done, Today I Bake

Print Friendly and PDF

The big day is Monday! I can't believe it will be here so soon. I took a stab at how much of everything I would need and headed to Whole Foods to shop. Others might have actually calculated this all out, but that just seemed like way too much work. I had things on my shopping list like:
  • Powdered Sugar - A ginormous amount.

Then, of course, powdered sugar is the one thing I forgot to buy.


I won't need that until tomorrow though, since I plan to bake all the cupcakes first and then frost.

I borrowed a second Kitchen Aid so I'll have two going at once and I also purchased 14 bakery boxes for storing and transporting the cupcakes (again a rough estimate of what I might need).

Did I mention I am going to bake today? I should start. I'll check in periodically with updates.

Some Notes on Vegan Sugar

I don't typically buy vegan sugar. I just bought one bag of it to use for the salt/sugar combo on the margarita cupcakes because it was white. The organic sugar is more of a brown.

Why would sugar not be vegan? According to Vegan Outreach, "It depends on how you define 'vegan.' Refined sugars do not contain any animal products, and so by an ingredients-based definition of vegan, refined sugar is vegan. However, some refined sugar is processed with animal bone char. The charcoal is used to remove color, impurities, and minerals from sugar. The charcoal is not 'in' the sugar, but is used in the process as as a filter. Thus by a process-based definition of vegan, refined sugar may not be considered vegan."

1 comments:

  1. The rules for Vegan sugar bear some resemblance to what makes Kosher products dairy even if they have no dairy component but are made on equipment that also makes dairy items...or the use of rennet in cheese even tho' most rennet is now far removed from its animal source or is chemically derived. It all makes my head hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics