Monday, October 22, 2012

peekfrostings

Hipster Cupcakes - Vegan PBR Cupcakes with Vegan Buttercream Frosting

Print Friendly and PDF

I'm someone who always smiles for photos, rarely wears skinny jeans, and has never worn glasses just for style.  I'm so not a hipster that I had to ask the staff at Plato's Closet to tell me what to wear for this shoot.  I felt like someone else as I posed by this beat up door (compliments of Clover Hill Interiors) for my hipster cupcake shoot.  But, playing dress up was fun (those of you who have seen my Wild West cupcakes and my absinthe cupcakes know that I don't shy away from costumes).  Many of us dress up for Halloween, but I encourage you to play with new looks throughout the year - you might just discover one that fits more than you expect it to.  I'm going to wear the hat again - for real, not as a costume - and I've already worn the jeans quite a few times.

Dressing up is extra fun if you can get the kids into the act.




What About the Hipster Cupcakes?

The hipster cupcakes are vegan Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) cupcakes made with my vegan buttercream.  (See the article on Quora to learn how PBR became known as the hipster drink of choice.)  The PBR flavor comes through in the cupcakes just enough for you to know it is there, but not quite enough to make you feel like you are eating beer.  It's tempered by brown sugar, and once frosted, the PBR cupcakes end up being something you'll sit on your front stoop snacking on while chatting about the latest indie music. 

Hipster Cupcake Recipe

Yield: 10 cupcakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup PBR
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • vegan frosting (get the recipe in my vegan frosting post)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together PBR, apple cider vinegar, sugar and oil until slightly frothy.
  3. Mix in the flour, baking soda, and baking powder until just combined.  
  4. Bake for 20 minutes or until cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
  5. When cool, frost with vegan buttercream.
More Hipster Fun


For more hipster fun, head over to Best Friends for Frosting to see a guest post from my friend Brooke (of Sucre Shop fame).  She's prepared just the thing to serve with these cupcakes!

4 comments:

  1. I have a question about this recipe and others I have seen on your blog. The recipe states that it makes "10 cupcakes", and I have noted that many of your recipes make what could be considered an 'odd' number of cupcakes, since most home bakers have typical cupcake pans that bake 12 cupcakes.
    So, what's up with 'odd' yields?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fair question and it's something that I should work on more. Basically, I develop a recipe and then just tell you how many I end up with. I could do some math do make it 12 or 24, but I don't usually have the time to test the recipe again with the new numbers so I just leave it as is.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to make these for the Super Bowl, but I was wondering...is there a way to un-veganize it? I'm sure it's awesome, but I was curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.. I'm not sure why you would? It doesn't really taste vegan. And, of course, you could use regular butter in the buttercream instead of vegan butter.

      Delete

Real Time Web Analytics