Tuesday, May 8, 2012

peekfrostings

Potato and Egg Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF

I recently received a review copy of the book Muffin Tin Chef by Matt Kadey.  If I wrote the book, I would have called it Cupcake Tin Chef.  Other than that, I wouldn't have changed a thing.  The book is filled with ideas (and when I say filled, I mean that there are 101 ideas there) for sweet and savory dishes to make in cute single-serving sizes.  I've loved Matt's blog, Muffin Tin Mania, for years, and the book is now a valued addition to my collection.

This week, I'm going to feature two recipes that I've made inspired by Muffin Tin Chef (I've also got a book giveaway coming soon!).  Matt wrote an entire chapter just on brunch muffin tin recipes.  Since brunch is my favorite meal (seriously, does it get any better than brunch?), I focused my energies there.

Matt's Parmesan hash browns caught my eye right away - you can't go wrong with carbs and cheese!  But, since Matt is talking muffins and I'm talking cupcakes, I knew mine were going to need some frosting.  I took his Parmesan hash brown muffins an extra step and topped them with deviled egg frosting (a sweet twist on deviled eggs).  With Mother's Day coming soon, these potato and egg cupcakes might be just the thing to start Mom's morning off right.

Potato and Egg Cupcake Recipe

This recipe is heavily adapted from the Parmesan hash browns in Muffin Tin Chef.


Yield: 6 cupcakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound shredded potatoes (about 2 cups)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon oil (I used truffle oil, because I've got a mega crush on truffles.)
  • salt, to taste
  • pepper, to taste
  • deviled egg frosting (see my post on deviled egg frosting for the recipe)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Mix all ingredients except the frosting in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
  3. Spray 6 of the wells in a cupcake tin with non-stick cooking spray.
  4. Press potato mixture firmly into each well, filling them all the way to the top.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
  6. Frost with deviled egg frosting and serve warm.

7 comments:

  1. I read your deviled egg frosting post and now coupling it with this, I may have to try it. As a fellow carbaholic, this really caught my eye as something interesting and different! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is so ggod!!!! you have great and very original odeas....thank you for sharing!
    I´m following you from www.cocina-quetecocina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, these look lovely and very tasty too, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awsome photos. It must be so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are the shredded potatoes raw or already cooked? thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics