Friday, September 17, 2010

peekfrostings

Sorghum Cupcakes with Orange Whiskey Whipped Cream - Wild West Cupcakes

Print Friendly and PDF


To bring Wild West week to a close (so far I've made wagon wheel pasta and wagon wheel cookies), I bring you Wild West cupcakes.  These aren't poser cupcakes. No, no.  The recipe for these sorghum cupcakes comes from a newspaper in the 1800's (it was for cake, not cupcakes, but close enough).  I found the cake recipe (I invented the frosting recipe) on Chronicle of the Old West where they report that, "This was a dessert made either at the ranch or restaurants in town.  It couldn’t be made on the cattle drive because of the need for butter and eggs, two items that would not remain fresh during a two to three month cattle drive."


For the Sorghum Virgins

Not a sorghum virgin.

Sorghum is very similar in texture to molasses (in fact, it's sometimes called sorghum molasses), but it is made from sorghum cane rather than sugar cane.  You can read all about the history and the making of sorghum on a wonderful website devoted to sorghum.

You could use another type of molasses for these cupcakes, but the flavor wouldn't be quite the same.  Sorghum is a bit sweeter and unlike other types of molasses, it doesn't leave you with that a strong aftertaste. 

I had sorghum for the first time at Lambert's - The Only Home of Throwed Rolls (yes, they actually throw rolls at you).  They serve their rolls with sweet, delicious sorghum.  If you are ever within a few hour drive of a Lambert's, it's worth the trip.

Sorghum Cupcake Recipe

Again, this recipe came from a newspaper in the 1800's  (I found it on Chronicle of the Old West).  I am reprinting it with my adaptation to cupcakes below:

Yield: 12 Cupcakes

  • 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 C sorghum molasses
  • 1/2 C water
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 C flour
  1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. 
  2. Mix in the eggs.
  3. In another medium-sized bowl, mix the molasses, water, baking soda, and flour. 
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
  5. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back when lightly touched.
Orange Whiskey Whipped Cream Recipe
  • 1 C heavy whipping cream, cold
  • 3 tbsp powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp whiskey
  • 1/4 tsp orange zest or dried orange powder
  1. Whip heavy whipping cream until it looks like whipped cream.
  2. Add in the other ingredients.
  3. Spread on the cupcakes (piping seemed too froufrou and girly for the Wild West). 
Costume Notes

In case anyone is on the market for a Halloween costume and wants this one, you should know that my costume is actually a pirate wench costume.  I figured that it was close enough to the Wild West to do the trick.  My flapper headband was also a huge anachronism.

Our Little Cowboy


I had to end the week with a photo of our little cowboy.  This photo was taken when we he was three months old.  He's now 13 months and he looks so different!

6 comments:

  1. thanks for this one - the doctor told me molasses is a great way to get iron too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post totally caught my eye. I think I'm going to try them today. I have studio time reserved, and we all bring treats to share. These sound yummy enough I wouldn't want an entire batch in my house where I would eat them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pics. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myles is just too adorable. Love the pics!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant! I love making old recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics