Tuesday, August 10, 2010

peekfrostings

Ladyfingers - A From Scratch Recipe Perfect For Tiramisu

Print Friendly and PDF

Ladyfingers, like Oreo cookies and graham crackers, can easily be made from scratch at home (see my homemade Oreo cookies and homemade graham crackers for details on those cookies).  From scratch ladyfingers will certainly be fresher than store-bought ones, and you probably already have the ingredients on hand (eggs, sugar, flour, and baking powder).

When you make homemade ladyfingers, you also get a chance to get creative!  Why not try making man-toes or little babyfingers?  For a Bachelorette party, you could try making and then eating some other body parts. ;)  Or, if like me, you're thinking cupcakes, you can make your ladyfingers in cupcake tins so that they are all ready to be used in tiramisu cupcakes.

Notice how they aren't filled to the top so there is room for all of the
tiramisu goodness!

It's important to know that ladyfingers come in two varieties - the crunchy kind and the soft, sponge cake-like kind.  The ladyfinger recipe that I am sharing here is for the soft kind.  This is the kind that works best in tiramisu because it can better absorb all of the coffee/rum syrup.

I wouldn't recommend eating these ladyfingers on their own.  Their flavor comes from whatever you soak them in.  If you don't want to make tiramisu with them (I'm not sure why you wouldn't), you could also dunk the ladyfingers in chocolate milk or whipped cream or chocolate fondue.  Feel free to share other ideas in the comments.


Ladyfinger Recipe

Update: If you are using this to make tiramisu cupcakes, either cut this recipe in half or double the tiramisu cupcake recipe.


 This ladyfinger recipe is adapted ever so slightly from the ladyfinger recipe on Allrecipes.
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 2 tbsp + 2/3 C white sugar
  • 1 C all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
  2. Line two 17 x 12 inch baking sheets with baking parchment. (Or, if you are going to use these for tiramisu cupcakes, line a 12 cupcake tin with cupcake liners.)
  3. Fit large pastry bag with a plain 1/2 inch round tube. If you don't have one, just cut off the end of a Ziploc bag.
  4. Place egg whites in a bowl and beat on high until soft peaks start to form.
  5. Slowly add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
  6. In another bowl, beat egg yolks and remaining sugar.
  7. Whip until thick and very pale in color.
  8. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
  9. Fold half the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
  10. Fold in flour, and then add the remaining egg whites. 
  11. Transfer mixture to the pastry bag (or Ziploc bag) and pipe strips that look like ladyfingers (or whatever shape you'd like) onto the prepared baking sheet.  Alternatively, evenly divide the batter between the cupcake liners.  The cupcake liners will not be filled to the top (see the photo above). 
  12. Bake for 8 minutes.

22 comments:

  1. Making lady fingers is so easy I've been doing it for years,(they were hard to find in the local markets). I add vanilla and dust them in powdered sugar. My kids love to eat them plain.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried oreos but I have yet to try ladyfingers. Great recipe. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah so awesome, I made my own a few weeks ago and they flopped(too flat, not tasty)! Excited to try this recipe.
    Thankss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this recipe!!!! I recently tried to follow Julia Child's recipe for ladyfingers and it was an utter failure...can't wait to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see how you turn this into a tiramisu cupcake :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This ladyfinger recipe has my mind whirling with ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love tirimasu! It is my favorite dessert, so naturally when I saw the tirimasu cupcake recipe I wanted to make it.

    I followed your recipe for the ladyfingers exactly and piped the batter into my cupcake liners, but mine filled the liners way more than the ones you show in your picture. I didn't have much room for my marscapone mixture on top.

    Did you use all of the batter you made to evenly divide into the cupcake liners?

    The only reason that I can think that mine made more than yours is that I used jumbo sized eggs instead of large. Would that make a big difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a few years later, but I did the same thing that you did. The next time, I will divide my batter amongst 24 cupcake liners, instead of 12, and still bake it for 8 minutes.

      Delete
  8. Anon - I suppose it could be the egg size. I'm not sure. If you make this again, just make more cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to make sure I read this right - if I am making tiramisu cupcakes, this makes 12? So I should double for the 24 I know I will need. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin - When I made these, I got 12 cupcakes out of this ladyfinger recipe. But, a few people have commented that it made much more. Someone just told me that it made 30 cupcakes. So, I'm not really sure how to advise you. I'd prob double it just to be on the safe side. And if you don't mind letting me know what you ended up doing and how many cupcakes it made, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you freeze these to use a week later? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melany - I haven't tried it. But, I don't see why not. Just be sure that they are sealed well in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made these cupcakes and I found that the batter makes significantly more than 12 cupcakes. They make more than 12 with the cups filled with 2oz of batter. I ended up making 24. I was quite confused at the beginning then read that some people were having the same issues. Are we doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wiley - Was it just the ladyfinger batter that there was too much of or also the tiramisu batter? Did it make 24 good-sized cupcakes? If everyone is having this issue, perhaps I will adjust the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just made these subbing a little almond flour for the regular and adding a splash of almond extract. Lovely recipe! I can't wait to taste them in my peach tiramisu tomorrow night. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Im a novice on this, what does the 'c' stand for..is it cup? if so then what amount is •2 tbsp + 2/3 C white sugar
    I can't wait to have a pop at the tirimasu cup cakes xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. C = Cup
    You should use 2/3 cup plus another 2 tablespoon of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tiramisu cupcakes! Wonderful. Half the recipe made 18 cupcakes, using large eggs and regular large muffin tins (the kind from Zelllers or discount place). Used paper liners but will use foil next time as they don't last well from the soaking step.

    I used raspberry juice to soak the cake as a Christmas treat.

    Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I, too, found that this recipe makes WAY more than 12 cupcakes if you are going to leave any room in for the marscapone!! Will probably hollow out the middle to allow for more filling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I only filld my muffin tin half with the ladyfinger dough and I got 24 tiramisu cupcakes in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it says to cut the recipe in half if you are using it to make cupcakes or to double the rest of the cupcake recipe to match it.

      Delete

Real Time Web Analytics