Saturday, July 3, 2010

peekfrostings

Mocha Fudge Pops for TLC

Print Friendly and PDF

Only the true Cupcake Project stalker may have noticed the new TLC Cake Crew Badge on the lower right side of my blog.  A while back, I was asked to be part of a small group of bloggers chosen by TLC - The TLC Cake Crew.  I was highly honored to be asked - check out the list of Cake Crew bloggers (many of whom I stalked even before joining the crew).  This month, TLC sent each Cake Crew member a Flip video camera and asked us to share a favorite summer dessert with TLC.com.  I say this somewhat nonchalantly, but you have to imagine me jumping up and down with excitement.  I'd wanted a Flip for quite some time and had almost purchased one.  Plus, my video was going to be on TLC (I know, it's the dot com and not the TV channel, but it's a step).  Woot!


After MUCH deliberation, I decided to make mocha fudge pops for my TLC video. Unlike standard popsicles, these mocha fudge pops are actually frozen cupcakes on a stick.  Not all cake works frozen.  I considered making cheesecake (if you haven't tried frozen cheesecake, you should), but I settled on a flourless chocolate cake with a splash of Kahlua that essentially tastes like frozen fudge (a true fudgsicle).



Below, you'll find the video that I made for TLC.  TLC will be choosing their favorite Cake Crew video based on creativity, appearance, and online feedback.  So, if you like the mocha fudge pops, please leave comments on this post. Thanks! The winner of TLC's contest will get a 15 minute interview with the Cake Boss, Buddy Valastro.  If I win, I'd share the love by soliciting questions from you!

I've included the mocha fudge pop recipe beneath the video.





Mocha Fudge Pop Recipe

The mocha fudge pop recipe is adapted from a flourless chocolate cake recipe from Allrecipes that I've made many times as flourless chocolate cupcakes and mini flourless chocolate cupcakes.

Yield: 8 mocha fudge pops

  • 1/2 C Kahlua (I used my homemade Kahlua)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 C white sugar
  • 18 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
  • 1 C unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 egg whites
  • 3 tsp (or more if you are a big coffee fan) instant coffee, optional
  • 8 cookie sticks or popsicle sticks 
  • 8 baking cups (I prefer using the tall standalone kind for popsicles.  I don't think that they make the exact kind that I used anymore, but here is a link to a similar baking cup.)
  1. Combine the Kahlua, salt, and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
  2. Either in the top half of a double boiler or in a microwave oven, melt the bittersweet chocolate.
  3. Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl of an electric mixer.
  4. Beat the butter into the chocolate.
  5. Beat in the hot sugar-Kahlua mixture.
  6. Slowly beat in the eggs and the egg whites. 
  7. Optionally, mix in the instant coffee.  (I did not do this in the video.  Adding the instant coffee will give the pops a stronger coffee flavor.  Without it, the chocolate is by far the dominant flavor.) 
  8. Place the baking cups on a cookie sheet.
  9. Fill the baking cups almost all the way to the top.
  10. Bake cupcakes at 300 F for 30 minutes. The center will still look wet.
  11. Allow the cupcakes to come to room temperature.  You may want to eat some of them while they are still hot.  I won't hold it against you.  If you watch the video, you'll see that I did. :)
  12. Insert the cookie sticks into the center of each cupcake.
  13. Place the cupcake in the freezer for at least two hours (overnight is best).
  14. Remove from the freezer, peel the paper, and eat!

15 comments:

  1. You are too cute. I love the video, it's super profesh! AND your on TLC, look at you. I am thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so much fun to actually see you bake and hear your voice! Yum to the pops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Can't wait to make these. PS - I live in Hoboken, so of course I'm supporting an interview of Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...you are just adorable! And the POPS, oh my family would go crazy for these! Brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are adorable! where does one get little papers like the ones in the pictures? do you have to make them yourself or is there a way to buy them (instead of regular cupcake paper liners).
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great video! Question... what did you use for audio? Just the mic on the flip?

    Sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're looking and sounding more comfortable than TV contestants in front of the camera.

    The pops were delicious. TLC, here comes Stef!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your "pops" look great, and I can't wait to make them. You certainly look very professional and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the video and TLC! These sound great, can't wait to try them, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did great in your video! I'm going to try and make these for my boys hopefully I'll have enough willpower to pop them in the freezer and not eat them as soon as they come out of the oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alie - I have a link down by the recipe in the post to where you can buy papers like these.

    Nick - Thanks! It's just the mic on the Flip. It works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow!...thumbs up!!!....it's like I was watching a professional chef on a national television...Job well done!...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job, Stef!! Loved watching the video :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You do so well on video! I'm so proud! And excellent idea, I love the mocha-chocolate combo :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look SO good!!! Nice job! I hope you win.

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics